    David M. Cooke, May 13, 2004

  2. David M. Cooke

    Peter Hansen Guest

    David M. Cooke wrote:

    > Everybody says Google uses Python, but I've never seen it... until I
    > came across this, for the Google AdWords support page:
    >
    > https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=102
    >
    > Is that a .py I spy?

    I guess so, but in any case the usual use of Python attributed
    to Google is not something you *would* see, as it's always been
    said to be on the back end, collecting and indexing the sites
    in the first place, not on the front end. Nice to see their
    use of it is growing even beyond that...

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, May 13, 2004

  3. David M. Cooke

    Wilk Guest

    (David M. Cooke) writes:

    > Everybody says Google uses Python, but I've never seen it...

    In almost all my web sites, i use only python but you'll never see a .py
    page...

    --
    Wilk - http://flibuste.net
    Wilk, May 13, 2004
  4. David M. Cooke

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Peter Hansen" <> wrote in message
    > David M. Cooke wrote:
    >
    > > Everybody says Google uses Python, but I've never seen it... until I
    > > came across this, for the Google AdWords support page:
    > >
    > > https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=102
    > >
    > > Is that a .py I spy?

    > I guess so, but in any case the usual use of Python attributed
    > to Google is not something you *would* see, as it's always been
    > said to be on the back end, collecting and indexing the sites
    > in the first place, not on the front end. Nice to see their
    > use of it is growing even beyond that...

    I think it reasonable to suppose that they also use Python to prototype and
    test new features and algorithms that later get either discarded or recoded
    in C or whatever for speed. They rerun at least some programs enough times
    that recoding can pay off in reduced hardware costs. But their continued
    success depends on staying nimbly ahead of the competition.

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, May 13, 2004