I have read several examples on python post requests but I'm not sure mine needs to be that complicated.

Thank You,

Tim Harig

On 2011-01-06 said:
I have read several examples on python post requests but I'm not sure
mine needs to be that complicated.

From the HTML example on the page you posted:

<form action='https://chart.googleapis.com/chart' method='POST'>
<input type="hidden" name="cht" value="lc" />
<input type="hidden" name="chtt" value="This is | my chart" />
<input type='hidden' name='chs' value='600x200' />
<input type="hidden" name="chxt" value="x,y" />
<input type='hidden' name='chd' value='t:40,20,50,20,100'/>
<input type="submit" />
</form>

you can retreive the same chart from Python:

Python 3.1.2 (r312:79147, Oct 9 2010, 00:16:06)
[GCC 4.4.4] on linux2

Chris Rebert

On 2011-01-06 said:
I have read several examples on python post requests but I'm not sure
mine needs to be that complicated.
From the HTML example on the page you posted:

   <form action='https://chart.googleapis.com/chart' method='POST'>
       <input type="hidden" name="cht" value="lc"  />
       <input type="hidden" name="chtt" value="This is | my chart"  />
       <input type='hidden' name='chs' value='600x200' />
       <input type="hidden" name="chxt" value="x,y" />
       <input type='hidden' name='chd' value='t:40,20,50,20,100'/>
       <input type="submit"  />
   </form>

you can retreive the same chart from Python:

   Python 3.1.2 (r312:79147, Oct  9 2010, 00:16:06)
   [GCC 4.4.4] on linux2
   >>> import urllib.request, urllib.parse
   >>> params = urllib.parse.urlencode({'cht':'lc', 'chtt':'This is | my
   >>> chart',
   ...         'chs':'600x200', 'chxt':'x,y', 'chd':'t:40,20,50,20,100'})
   >>> chart =
urllib.request.urlopen('https://chart.googleapis.com/chart',
   ...         data = params).read()
   >>> chartFile = open("chart.png", 'wb')
   >>> chartFile.write(chart)
   10782
   >>> chartFile.close()

Hope this isn't to stupid,
For the
chart = urllib.request.urlopen('https://chart.googleapis.com/chart', data =
params).read()
Where would I find information on why and what the ).read() part does.

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/urllib.request.html#urllib.request.urlopen
Specifically: "This function returns a file-like object" (representing
the stream of data received). Thus, .read() on the file-like object
returns the actual bytes obtained from the given URL.

Cheers,
Chris

Tim Harig

   Python 3.1.2 (r312:79147, Oct  9 2010, 00:16:06)
   [GCC 4.4.4] on linux2
   >>> import urllib.request, urllib.parse
   >>> params = urllib.parse.urlencode({'cht':'lc', 'chtt':'This is | my
   >>> chart',

Sorry I didn't notice this got accidently wrapped when I pasted it.
For some reason, posts from from this account don't seem to be making it
through the gateway to usenet so I am only seeing what Mr. Rebert has
replied to. If you have asked anything else, I very well may have missed
it.
http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/urllib.request.html#urllib.request.urlopen
Specifically: "This function returns a file-like object" (representing
the stream of data received). Thus, .read() on the file-like object
returns the actual bytes obtained from the given URL.

Mr. Rebert already answed your question; but, I will expand on that a
little bit. One of the great things about the Python language is that it
uses what is commonly known as "duck typing." That is anything object which
provides the same attributes as another object can be used as though it is
actually the second object. It is kind of like an implicit form of
generics that doesn't require a template or an interface.

The Python standard library makes extensive use of duck typing for file
like objects. Any object that provides the proper method attributes can be
given to functions that expect files even though the object is given might
not be the traditional concept of a file on the filesystem. It might be a
stringIO object, a socket file object, or something new that you have
created that supports the required method attributes.

The semantics and documentation for file like objects have changed a
little for python2 vs. python3:

python2: http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#file-objects
python3: http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/io.html#io.IOBase

but they still basically work the same way. Much of the Python 3
documentation still refers file objects.