Google Groups and indentations

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Tassilo v. Parseval, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Also sprach :

    > Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday I saw an article posted via google rather by accident (I
    >> only saw the follow-up and then wanted to look up the parent, too). I
    >> did notice the indentation but wanted to have more evidence that this
    >> has really been fixed.
    >>
    >> Apparently it has so I can remove the killfile entry again. Others
    >> will follow, I am sure.

    > I noticed it too, I think at least a week back. There is still some
    > weird artifacts that show up if you view with google, but they are not
    > there with other news readers or even google's show original option.
    >
    > I don't know if I really believe this whole 'killfile' thing. I think
    > it's a myth, like skinny people saying that they don't watch what they
    > eat. I think that the temptation to see what dumb newbies like me and
    > worse are posting is too great to filter out. How boring would it be
    > just to read the proper postings?

    It was certainly not a myth in my case. Also, it's not necessarily about
    clueless posters but simply about postings with scrambled code snippets
    that I cannot be bothered to decipher.

    > People could write a filter that runs code in usenet postings through
    > perltidy just so all formatting is to their liking.

    It's not that there wouldn't be enough other postings in this group.
    Still plenty to read if a certain amount of them disappears.

    Apart from that, a perltidy filter isn't as easy as it may appear. First
    you have to identify which parts are code and which are text. They are
    usually interleaved. Furthermore, you have to deal with long lines,
    especially comments at the end of the line that wrap around. Perltidy
    cannot handle this.

    > This would be a great feature to be built into a Perl newsreader, a
    > program-as-module built on CGI::Application or something like that.

    Go ahead. I'll promise to use it when it's better than slrn. :)

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Tassilo v. Parseval

    Guest

    I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
    finally allowing indentations to be preserved.

    Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
    having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

    (I'm sure this is a change that the Python newsgroups really
    appreciate, as well... :)

    , Feb 19, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I don't know if anyone cares, but it seems like Google Groups is
    > finally allowing indentations to be preserved.
    >
    > Now I can post code with indentations intact without resorting to
    > having to place "| " before all my lines of code.

    Yippee.

    But since many of the most knowledgible people have killfiled google
    there's still cause to avoid it. This is a pitty because I post via
    Google about 15% of the time.

    Brian McCauley, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Also sprach Brian McCauley:

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Tassilo v. Parseval

    Guest

    Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:

    > Yesterday I saw an article posted via google rather by accident (I

    only
    > saw the follow-up and then wanted to look up the parent, too). I did
    > notice the indentation but wanted to have more evidence that this has
    > really been fixed.
    >
    > Apparently it has so I can remove the killfile entry again. Others

    will
    > follow, I am sure.

    I noticed it too, I think at least a week back. There is still some
    weird artifacts that show up if you view with google, but they are not
    there with other news readers or even google's show original option.

    I don't know if I really believe this whole 'killfile' thing. I think
    it's a myth, like skinny people saying that they don't watch what they
    eat. I think that the temptation to see what dumb newbies like me and
    worse are posting is too great to filter out. How boring would it be
    just to read the proper postings?

    People could write a filter that runs code in usenet postings through
    perltidy just so all formatting is to their liking.

    This would be a great feature to be built into a Perl newsreader, a
    program-as-module built on CGI::Application or something like that.

    wana

    , Feb 20, 2005