    outlook express?

    Sorry if this is abit off topic.

    JD
    JD, Aug 11, 2004

  2. JD wrote:

    > Are there any statistics that sugest the number of folks that come to news
    > groups from google news goups, as aposed to other sources or programs like
    > outlook express?

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?safe=off&ie=UTF-8&as_umsgid=&lr=&num=100&hl=en>

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Aug 11, 2004

  3. JD

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "JD" <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Are there any statistics that sugest the number of folks that come to
    > news groups from google news goups, as aposed to other sources or
    > programs like outlook express?
    >
    > Sorry if this is abit off topic.

    For alt.html, you can see the top ten user agents by looking for a posting
    titled something along the lines of ALT.HTML STATISTICS for [date].

    Here is a chart, but they do not explain how they get their data.
    <http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ngstats/overview-newsreaders.html>

    --
    Anqdc>
    Sam Hughes, Aug 11, 2004
  4. JD

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Sam Hughes <> wrote in

    > Here is a chart, but they do not explain how they get their data.
    > <http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ngstats/overview-newsreaders.html>

    Oh, this is for popular excel newsgroups. Never mind.

    --
    Anqdc>
    Sam Hughes, Aug 11, 2004
  5. JD

    Default User Guest

    JD wrote:

    > Are there any statistics that sugest the number of folks that come to news
    > groups from google news goups, as aposed to other sources or programs like
    > outlook express?
    >
    > Sorry if this is abit off topic.

    It doesn't even make sense, as you are comparing different things.
    groups.google is a news service with an embedded HTML-based newsreader.
    That's the only way to use the google service and the google service is
    the only one that can be used with that newsreader. Other newsreaders
    like OE are irrelevant, you don't choose the google reader out of
    preference for its abilities, you choose it because you want to (for
    whatever reason) use google to read news.

    Therefore, the real question is, "what percentage of participants in a
    newsgroup use groups.google as their newsfeed?" The answer is, a very
    small percentage. In some groups, it's vanishingly small.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Aug 11, 2004
  6. JD

    Dan Abrey Guest

    "Default User" <> wrote in message
    > JD wrote:
    > >
    > > Are there any statistics that sugest the number of folks that come to

    news
    > > groups from google news goups, as aposed to other sources or programs

    like
    > > outlook express?
    > >
    > > Sorry if this is abit off topic.

    > It doesn't even make sense, as you are comparing different things.
    > groups.google is a news service with an embedded HTML-based newsreader.
    > That's the only way to use the google service and the google service is
    > the only one that can be used with that newsreader. Other newsreaders
    > like OE are irrelevant, you don't choose the google reader out of
    > preference for its abilities, you choose it because you want to (for
    > whatever reason) use google to read news.
    >
    > Therefore, the real question is, "what percentage of participants in a
    > newsgroup use groups.google as their newsfeed?" The answer is, a very
    > small percentage. In some groups, it's vanishingly small.

    Surely Google is in direct competition with OE, say. Both are free. Both
    have the facility to download and read usenet messages from a server (I know
    Google has it's own, but that doesn't make much difference in this
    instance), and both are, in the flesh, newsreaders.
    Dan Abrey, Aug 12, 2004