    which will change the file extensions from .html to .xml
    How can I keep my excellent Google page rankings if my xhtml webpages
    are replaced by xml webpages?

    Don, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Don

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Don" <> writes:
    >I am translating a large (1,100 webpage) website from xhtml to xml,
    >which will change the file extensions from .html to .xml

    This will not change the URI ending.

    It is not required for the URI of an XHTML-resource or an
    XML-resource to end in ".xml" or not to end in ".html".

    Stefan Ram, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Are you suggesting that I keep my old URIs so that the new xml file
    then has an html extension?

    Don, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Don

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Don" <> writes:
    >Are you suggesting that I keep my old URIs so that the new xml
    >file then has an html extension?

    As far as I know, this would be in accordance with all
    specifications. It might be possible, that individual clients
    could use the URI-ending to identify the resource type - I am
    not aware of such clients. However, problems are posssible.

    In order to keep the URI, I would even keep the ".html"
    ending, when changing the resource to JPEG or PDF, to me,
    ".html" has no meaning or significance in this regard
    whatsoever. A ".html" ending might be part of a URI for
    historical reasons.

    See also:

    http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

    Stefan Ram, Jun 13, 2005
  5. Don wrote:
    > I am translating a large (1,100 webpage) website from xhtml to xml,
    > which will change the file extensions from .html to .xml
    > How can I keep my excellent Google page rankings if my xhtml webpages
    > are replaced by xml webpages?

    Have you considered keeping html version (generated by xslt from xml)?

    You can put link to alternative format on every page and map
    http://your.site/ to page in format of your choice e.g. based on web
    browser type.

    --
    Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do

    Andrzej Adam Filip, Jun 13, 2005
  6. Don

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 13 Jun 2005 08:32:23 -0700, "Don" <>
    wrote:

    >I am translating a large (1,100 webpage) website from xhtml to xml,

    _WHY_?!

    >which will change the file extensions from .html to .xml

    There are no file extensions on the web. There are URIs, and these may
    contain character strings that map onto file extensions stored on a
    server. However these are not a fundamental part of the "web experience"
    via HTTP and any competent web crawler (including GoogleBot) won;t care
    about them.

    >How can I keep my excellent Google page rankings

    You can't - you can't make XML web pages. "The web" uses HTML. Even if
    you can make "XML pages" work for some obscure combination of specific
    browsers and dependencies on client-side technologies, this is no longer
    "a web page" by any useful meaning of the term.

    You're throwing away wide-audience web standards and usefulness. Google
    shoudl dump you, and rightfully so.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jun 14, 2005