    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://kanyak.com

    Opinicus, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Opinicus

    PeterMcC Guest

    Opinicus wrote:
    > I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a
    > web page such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a Google
    > search on that person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that appears
    > in the address bar after doing a search on the Google page into the
    > link but it doesn't work.

    Don't have an authority to cite but the following seems to work:
    href="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22john+smith%22
    "

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Opinicus

    Brett Guest

    That method works fine for me....

    --
    Brett
    Provision Tech

    Brett, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Opinicus

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Opinicus" <> writes:
    > I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a web page
    > such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a Google search on that
    > person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that appears in the address bar
    > after doing a search on the Google page into the link but it doesn't work.
    >
    > What is the correct way to do this?

    Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
    you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Opinicus

    Opinicus Guest

    Chris Morris <> said:

    > "Opinicus" <> writes:
    > Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
    > you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

    http://www.google.com/search?q="İsmail Gülgeç"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google Search

    The problem seems to be the "UTF" characters. If I replace them with "I",
    "u", and "c" respectively, the link works:

    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&amp;q="Ýsmail Gülgeç"
    for example is OK.

    Since most people will be searching in English anyhow, the second one is
    probably better. (And has the added advantage of working.)

    Thanks to all those who took the time to reply.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse

    Opinicus, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Chris Morris wrote:
    > "Opinicus" <> writes:
    >> I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a
    >> web page such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a
    >> Google search on that person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that
    >> appears in the address bar after doing a search on the Google page
    >> into the link but it doesn't work.
    >>
    >> What is the correct way to do this?

    > Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
    > you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

    I do that, and it works for me. However, I usually shorten the URL because
    they tend to get extra stuff in them.

    Here is an example of a page with both web search and image search links in
    it:
    http://www.birdsandanimals.info/bcp/pictures/eg95/eg95_17_28_2.htm

    The web search is:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Pyrocephalus+rubinus

    (Google does firstname AND lastname by default).

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Nov 8, 2003