Google search link

Opinicus

I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a web page
such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a Google search on that
person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that appears in the address bar
after doing a search on the Google page into the link but it doesn't work.

What is the correct way to do this?

TIA

PeterMcC

Opinicus said:
I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a
web page such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a Google
search on that person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that appears
in the address bar after doing a search on the Google page into the
link but it doesn't work.

Don't have an authority to cite but the following seems to work:
href="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q="john+smith"
"

Chris Morris

Opinicus said:
I want to add a link to a person's name (first_name last_name) on a web page
such that if someone clicks on the link, it will do a Google search on that
person's name. I've tried pasting the URL that appears in the address bar
after doing a search on the Google page into the link but it doesn't work.

What is the correct way to do this?

Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

Opinicus

Chris Morris said:
Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

http://www.google.com/search?q="İsmail+Gülgeç"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

The problem seems to be the "UTF" characters. If I replace them with "I",
"u", and "c" respectively, the link works:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q="Ýsmail+Gülgeç"
for example is OK.

Since most people will be searching in English anyhow, the second one is
probably better. (And has the added advantage of working.)

Thanks to all those who took the time to reply.

Barry Pearson

Chris said:
Your description sounds correct. In what way doesn't work, and can
you show us a URL of a page where it doesn't?

I do that, and it works for me. However, I usually shorten the URL because
they tend to get extra stuff in them.

Here is an example of a page with both web search and image search links in
it:
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/bcp/pictures/eg95/eg95_17_28_2.htm

The web search is:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Pyrocephalus+rubinus

(Google does firstname AND lastname by default).