Google Spider questions / problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jemdam.com, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. Jemdam.com

    Jemdam.com Guest

    Hi, I have a well established site and have been listed in Google for years.
    There is a key search term which I'm promoting so I can move up the ranks.
    The Google spider indexes my index.php with a varaible based off my
    affiliate system:

    I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php?id=158

    Is there a way to stop it so it indexes cleanly:

    I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com or http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php

    All 3 URLS provide the same content but the id=158 is costing me a lot of
    money has all my promotion work is loosing 20% to an affiliate.

    If you want to see it first hand type magic tricks into Google.com and at
    position 25 (ish) you will see the first URL I listed.

    If anyone has ideas how to clean this up please let me know.

    Thanks,

    David
    Jemdam.com, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Jemdam.com

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Jemdam.com>:
    > Hi, I have a well established site and have been listed in Google [...]
    > I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php?id=158
    >
    > Is there a way to stop it so it indexes cleanly:
    >
    > I.E. http://www.pubtricks.com or http://www.pubtricks.com/index.php

    Pet peeve.

    That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and
    both letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence
    with it (and you're not starting a sentence).

    http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/language-usage.html#Anchor-E.g-6296

    > If anyone has ideas how to clean this up please let me know.

    Try:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/3.html

    I would guess that Google originally found your site with the
    affiliate tag attached to the URL and it stuck in the system.

    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com
    Rob McAninch, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Jemdam.com

    Jemdam.com Guest

    > That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
    > letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
    > (and you're not starting a sentence).
    >
    > http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/language-usage.html#Anchor-E.g-6296

    Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
    writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
    cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
    don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
    this. Is it:

    a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
    others
    b) just rude people
    c) something else
    Jemdam.com, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Jemdam.com

    Greg N. Guest

    Jemdam.com wrote:

    > I have trouble writing

    No you don't. Somebody whith real problems would not likely have been
    picked on. Judging from the overall quality of your expression, I would
    have guessed you're somebody who can take it.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Jan 1, 2006
  5. Jemdam.com

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jemdam.com quothed:

    > > That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
    > > letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
    > > (and you're not starting a sentence).
    > >
    > > http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/language-usage.html#Anchor-E.g-6296

    > Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
    > writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
    > cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
    > don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
    > this. Is it:
    >
    > a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
    > others
    > b) just rude people
    > c) something else

    Sitting (at the computer) for long periods of time tends to give people
    gas which tends to make them "farty". The solution is to cut a hole in
    the seat for a vent or replace your work chair with an old toilet.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Jemdam.com

    Chris Beall Guest

    Jemdam.com wrote:

    (snip)
    > don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
    > this.

    (snip)

    Jemdam,

    Since you asked, here are my views:

    People should be polite to each other.

    Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact that
    you've irritated him. Irritated people sometimes over react, but most
    do so without warning. In this case you at least got a hint in advance.
    Rob then gave you a very emotionally neutral comment regarding an
    error in your communication. For USENET, the wording of his comment was
    exceedingly delicate. He followed it up with an authoritative
    reference, as a way of communicating "This isn't just me talking".

    Is it appropriate to correct language errors in USENET posts? I
    think that sometimes it is, but, for obvious reasons, I would do wo with
    great caution.
    If the error did not affect the accuracy of your post, I would
    probably drop the matter. If the error hit one of my pet peeves, I
    would most likely do the same, but it would depend on my mood at the moment.
    If the error DID affect the accuracy of your post, or was clearly
    causing confusion, I would likely call it to your attention. My first
    approach would be a private e-mail, but you have concealed your real
    e-mail address, so that was not an option in this case.

    Net: I would probably not have commented on the error in this
    specific case, but I'm not going to be rude to Rob and take the position
    that he was wrong to do so.

    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Jemdam.com

    Greg N. Guest

    Chris Beall wrote:

    > Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact that
    > you've irritated him.

    Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
    misinterpreting this... but:

    I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
    that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not take
    the sally he is making overly serious.

    In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he just
    loves to dwell upon the given subject.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
    Greg N., Jan 2, 2006
  8. Jemdam.com

    Chris Beall Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > Chris Beall wrote:
    >
    >> Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve', which alerts you the fact
    >> that you've irritated him.

    > Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
    > misinterpreting this... but:
    >
    > I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
    > that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not take
    > the sally he is making overly serious.
    >
    > In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he just
    > loves to dwell upon the given subject.

    Greg,

    I agree. It depends a whole lot on the disposition of the peeved
    person, which is a bit hard to assess here (although some folks are
    sufficiently explicit to remove any doubt.) :)

    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Jemdam.com

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:23:51 -0000, "Jemdam.com"
    <> wrote:

    >> That should be I.e. (or perhaps i.e.), it is an abbreviation and both
    >> letters don't get capitalized unless you're starting a sentence with it
    >> (and you're not starting a sentence).
    >>
    >> http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/style/language-usage.html#Anchor-E.g-6296

    >Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
    >writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
    >cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
    >don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
    >this. Is it:
    >
    >a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
    >others

    Hallo!

    BB

    http://www.crystal-liaison.com/
    Home of gifts so shiny!
    Big Bill, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Jemdam.com

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Chris Beall>:
    > Greg N. wrote:
    >> Chris Beall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rob started out by saying 'Pet peeve' [...]

    >> Interesting. English is not my mother tongue, so I might be
    >> misinterpreting this... but:
    >>
    >> I always thought that if somebody announces a "pet peeve", he admits
    >> that this is kindof an obsession of his, and that people should not
    >> take the sally he is making overly serious.

    That about sums it up. I frequently see i.e. and e.g. misused, I
    used to use them interchangeably instead of e.g. 'ex' to denote an
    example. I had no idea what they really meant and ultimately my
    writing suffered because of it (ok, maybe the Usenet posts were not
    that big of an impact but I was mis-using them in letters and other
    documents as well).

    I'm pretty sure it was someone in Usenet that pointed me to a source
    on what the Latin actually meant.

    >> In other words, he is saying that he is not _really_ irritated, he
    >> just loves to dwell upon the given subject.

    Love is perhaps too strong a word in this case;-)

    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com
    Rob McAninch, Jan 3, 2006
  11. In article <>,
    Jemdam.com <> wrote:
    >Thanks for the google link but lay off on the English lesson. I have trouble
    >writing and your comments are just rude. Every time I use these forums I
    >cannot get over the people who go off on a tangent putting others down. I
    >don't get it, why are people here just so rude? I welcome people's views on
    >this. Is it:
    >
    >a) over weight star trek fans who don't get out much so they like to abuse
    >others
    >b) just rude people
    >c) something else

    d) A Usenet tradition for 25 years.