    Rubinius etc. I myself haven't come up any good idea
    yet. So I'm looking forward to the suggested ideas.

    Thanks!
    Chiyuan Zhang, Mar 19, 2008

  2. Chiyuan Zhang

    pat eyler Guest

    On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Chiyuan Zhang <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ruby community is participating Google Summer of Code
    > through Ruby Central. However, although project ideas
    > of other organizations have been announced, I found
    > that there's still no under the Ruby Central page.
    > I'm willing to take part in Google Summer of Code this
    > year, especially working for a Ruby related project.
    >
    > So, what's the current status of Ruby of GSoC? Is there
    > any project ideas collected? Maybe something about Ruby 1.9,
    > Rubinius etc. I myself haven't come up any good idea
    > yet. So I'm looking forward to the suggested ideas.

    I hope to have this up today. I'd hoped to have it posted
    yesterday, but the best laid plans ...

    If anyone has ideas they'd like to share, I'm all ears.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Chiyuan Zhang

    James Gray Guest

    On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:16 AM, Chiyuan Zhang wrote:

    > Is there any project ideas collected? Maybe something about Ruby 1.9,
    > Rubinius etc.

    I'm sure we can brainstorm some for you.

    Regarding your Ruby 1.9 idea: many libraries don't work correctly yet
    in Ruby 1.9. You could come up with a list of favorites that don't
    work and offer to patch them for Ruby 1.9. I think that could be
    quite a resource to the community. I got this idea from Greg Brown
    who may be doing a similar project soon, but I think there are more
    than enough libraries to go around.

    Beyond that, here are a few other random ideas:

    * There's been a lot of talk about better documentation tools lately.
    I believe Eric Hodel is working on revamping RDoc. Perhaps you could
    see what you could do to help with that. James Britt has also looked
    at better ways to assemble the documentation for ruby-doc.org, so that
    may be another place you could help out.
    * I've recently had need of a multiprocess event safe logger. What I
    mean by that is that I have two processes writing to the same log
    file. They may log five things for each event. In the log file, I
    would prefer the resulting ten entries not be interleaved. You could
    provide a start event method and an end event method and only add
    events to the log file after the event ended. This is more
    complicated than it sounds since you will want to deal with large
    logging data for a single event (probably using Tempfile), badly
    behaved programs that don't manage to call the end event method, long
    running events, etc.
    * Daniel Berger has requested a pure Ruby implementation of zlib a few
    times now. This might give new options for Windows installers.

    I do encourage you to think up your own ideas though. I've been a
    mentor for the last two years and I can easily say that the
    applications for unique ideas were generally more appealing. There
    are two reasons for that. The first is that lots of applications come
    in for the ideas we post publicly, so you're competing with a lot of
    people who want to do the exact same thing. The other is that you
    will just be more creative when running with your own idea. Don't
    hesitate to latch onto one of your own needs and run with it.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Gray, Mar 19, 2008
  4. On 19/03/2008, James Gray <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:16 AM, Chiyuan Zhang wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any project ideas collected? Maybe something about Ruby 1.9,
    > > Rubinius etc.

    > I'm sure we can brainstorm some for you.

    There's been some talk about the memory management - the GC. The GC
    used in 1.8 is clearly suboptimal. Running the same code under jruby
    results in great cut on memory requirements and thus great performance
    gain, at least for my application.

    I am not sure about the status and plans for the 1.9 GC.

    If you are into this kind of stuff you will likely not face too much
    competition, and could make a lasting contribution to the 1.9
    implementation ;-)

    Thanks

    Michal
    Michal Suchanek, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Hi, Thank you for so many ideas. And maybe you're right. I might
    also think about my own ideas besides those published. :)

    Chiyuan Zhang, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Chiyuan Zhang

    RaL Guest

    I want to create a project devoted to Neural Networks. Would Ruby
    Central be interested to support me and this project for Google Summer
    of Code?

    Right now, there are two gems with a Neural Network support -
    http://ai4r.rubyforge.org/ =C9 http://ruby-fann.rubyforge.org/. But both
    of them implement only one learning algorithm - back-propagation (and
    accordingly to that fact only one type of Neural Network - multilayer
    perceptron) - also they don't have ability to choose different
    activation functions for different layers and so you can't even build
    Radial Basis Function Network with those gems. They don't have a built-
    in interface to use even widespread learning strategies (e.g., begin
    learning with a high learning rate and then switch to a low learning
    rate after approaching some threshold).

    So as a GSoC project I decide to implement several Neural Network
    types, including multilayer perceptron, self-organizing feature map
    (Kohonen net), auto-associative memory (Hopfield net) and recurrent
    neural network. I want to build an easy but powerful interface to use
    with. So it will support a range of learning strategies for fast start
    but it will be very customizable in case of need. It will have a built-
    in visualization module so you could see a net topology with all
    values of weights, errors, input and output values in any moment of
    time. You could also see a graphic of values (good to see a final
    approximation) and errors (to understand a dependence on epoch count).
    And as the last step i want to build a Neural Network web-editor via
    silverlight and IronRuby.

    So what does RubyCentral think about my proposal?

    On Mar 19, 5:05=9Apm, James Gray <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:16 AM, Chiyuan Zhang wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any project ideas collected? Maybe something about Ruby 1.9,
    > > Rubinius etc.

    > I'm sure we can brainstorm some for you.
    >
    > Regarding your Ruby 1.9 idea: =9Amany libraries don't work correctly yet =

    =9A
    > in Ruby 1.9. =9AYou could come up with a list of favorites that don't =9A
    > work and offer to patch them for Ruby 1.9. =9AI think that could be =9A
    > quite a resource to the community. =9AI got this idea from Greg Brown =9A
    > who may be doing a similar project soon, but I think there are more =9A
    > than enough libraries to go around.
    >
    > Beyond that, here are a few other random ideas:
    >
    > * There's been a lot of talk about better documentation tools lately. =9A
    > I believe Eric Hodel is working on revamping RDoc. =9APerhaps you could =

    =9A
    > see what you could do to help with that. =9AJames Britt has also looked =

    =9A
    > at better ways to assemble the documentation for ruby-doc.org, so that =9A=

    > may be another place you could help out.
    > * I've recently had need of a multiprocess event safe logger. =9AWhat I =

    =9A
    > mean by that is that I have two processes writing to the same log =9A
    > file. =9AThey may log five things for each event. =9AIn the log file, I =

    =9A
    > would prefer the resulting ten entries not be interleaved. =9AYou could =

    =9A
    > provide a start event method and an end event method and only add =9A
    > events to the log file after the event ended. =9AThis is more =9A
    > complicated than it sounds since you will want to deal with large =9A
    > logging data for a single event (probably using Tempfile), badly =9A
    > behaved programs that don't manage to call the end event method, long =9A
    > running events, etc.
    > * Daniel Berger has requested a pure Ruby implementation of zlib a few =9A=

    > times now. =9AThis might give new options for Windows installers.
    >
    > I do encourage you to think up your own ideas though. =9AI've been a =9A
    > mentor for the last two years and I can easily say that the =9A
    > applications for unique ideas were generally more appealing. =9AThere =9A
    > are two reasons for that. =9AThe first is that lots of applications come =

    =9A

    RaL, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Chiyuan Zhang

    James Gray Guest

    On Mar 20, 2008, at 5:20 AM, RaL wrote:

    > I want to create a project devoted to Neural Networks. Would Ruby
    > Central be interested to support me and this project for Google Summer
    > of Code?

    Obviously I don't speak for Ruby Central, but I think your idea is
    great. Definitely send it in. Be sure and mention your plan, as you
    did in this email, and the kinds of problems it would help users
    solve. Good luck!

    James Edward Gray II
    James Gray, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Chiyuan Zhang

    pat eyler Guest

    On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:44 AM, James Gray <> wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 2008, at 5:20 AM, RaL wrote:
    >
    > > I want to create a project devoted to Neural Networks. Would Ruby
    > > Central be interested to support me and this project for Google Summer
    > > of Code?

    > Obviously I don't speak for Ruby Central, but I think your idea is
    > great. Definitely send it in. Be sure and mention your plan, as you
    > did in this email, and the kinds of problems it would help users
    > solve. Good luck!

    I agree, this sounds like a very interesting project. No decisions will be
    made about which projects to sponsor until we see all the proposals,
    and the prospective mentors can weigh in on them.

    --
    thanks,
    -pate
    pat eyler, Mar 20, 2008
  9. RaL wrote:
    > I want to create a project devoted to Neural Networks. Would Ruby
    > Central be interested to support me and this project for Google Summer
    > of Code?
    >
    > Right now, there are two gems with a Neural Network support -
    > http://ai4r.rubyforge.org/ É http://ruby-fann.rubyforge.org/. But both
    > of them implement only one learning algorithm - back-propagation (and
    > accordingly to that fact only one type of Neural Network - multilayer
    > perceptron) - also they don't have ability to choose different
    > activation functions for different layers and so you can't even build
    > Radial Basis Function Network with those gems. They don't have a built-
    > in interface to use even widespread learning strategies (e.g., begin
    > learning with a high learning rate and then switch to a low learning
    > rate after approaching some threshold).

    If you are also interested in pulsed (or spiking) neural nets, take a
    look at Yinspire [1], which is a fast simulator I am developing at my
    university using Ruby and C++ (using Cplus2Ruby).

    Regards,

    Michael

    [1]: http://www.ntecs.de/projects/yinspire/
    Michael Neumann, Mar 20, 2008