Google Summer of Code 2009

Eric

Hello,
I am interested in participating in Google Summer of Code 2009,
hopefully for something in Python. I realize that this is way before
it begins, but I would like to start to get to know the community
better and find something that I could work on during the summer of
code. I know a decent amount of Python, and I am a Sophomore Computer
Science major. My school teaches Java, but on the side I taught
myself Python. If anyone knows of any projects that could use another
hand, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric

André

Hello,
I am interested in participating in Google Summer of Code 2009,
hopefully for something in Python.  I realize that this is way before
it begins, but I would like to start to get to know the community
better and find something that I could work on during the summer of
code.  I know a decent amount of Python, and I am a Sophomore Computer
Science major.  My school teaches Java, but on the side I taught
myself Python.  If anyone knows of any projects that could use another
hand, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Eric

You should have a look at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode

It's still early, so there's nothing yet for 2009, but I am sure that
some ongoing projects mentioned in previous years [like Crunchy ;-)]
will be looking for volunteers.

André

Eric

You should have a look athttp://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode

It's still early, so there's nothing yet for 2009, but I am sure that
some ongoing projects mentioned in previous years [like Crunchy ;-)]
will be looking for volunteers.

André

Thanks for the link. For some reason I hadn't seen Crunchy there
before. I would be interested in doing something for Crunchy. The
class room server seems like a good project if it hasn't been tackled
yet. I also wouldn't mind trying to get the history menu going as a
start.

-Eric

Martin v. Löwis

I am interested in participating in Google Summer of Code 2009,
hopefully for something in Python. I realize that this is way before
it begins, but I would like to start to get to know the community
better and find something that I could work on during the summer of
code. I know a decent amount of Python, and I am a Sophomore Computer
Science major. My school teaches Java, but on the side I taught
myself Python. If anyone knows of any projects that could use another
hand, I would appreciate it.

Traditionally, the PSF SoC participation includes a number of projects,
many of them with their own mailing lists etc. Andre has already pointed
you to the list of potential projects; the exact set of projects may
vary, of course.

So if one of them interests you, you should contact the specific mailing
lists. If it is Python proper, the list would be (e-mail address removed).
Notice that several projects written in Python participate in SoC on
their own, e.g. Django. Take a look at the full list of SoC
organizations for 2008; perhaps you spot something that interests you.
Again, which specific organizations will participate in 2009 will vary
again (it's nearly certain that the PSF will get approved again,
though).

Regards,
Martin