Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Window

SonOfLilit

There is a web browser that allows ruby scripting. Read in _why's log Redhanded.

I don't think it would be too hard to implement a gateway, what with
JS being a very dynamic prototyping oo language.

Peter Szinek

Hi!
I really like this idea and I would be willing to do something related
to that in the Google SoC. There's one thing though: although I have
some good background in computing, I have close to no experience in
Ruby and web-related development. Is there anything already done
related to recording that I could base my work on? I've heard there's
something like that already working in Perl.

Here is something already:

http://svn.openqa.org/fisheye/changelog/watir-recorder/trunk

Also, I don't know how ambitious a project like this would be for
someone with my experience, so if anyone has a better idea of how
difficult it is please share. What are the skills I would have to
learn? What tools? If it's too difficult to do it all on my own, what
would be a reasonable subset of features I could proppose to implement
and that are more urgently needed by the community?

Well, for the Watir related questions you should ask Bret Pettichord (
bret @!totally! nospam@ pettichord.com ) he also sent the above link
and he is one of the project admins of Watir. You could ask also Angrez
Singh (angrez @brutally -@nospam@ gmail.com) who is developing
FireWatir. (I would like to see this stuff with Firefox, not IE - so
that also non-win32 people can enjoy it).

As for the Ruby part - well, of course you would need to know a fair
amount of Ruby anyway - and extend it with the specific info you get
from Bret/Angrez. Hopefully somebody with more insight into these things
will reply you...

Cheers,
Peter
__