    http://shop.sgier.com
    Thanks
    Michael

    Michael Sgier, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Michael Sgier

    jojo Guest

    Michael Sgier wrote:
    > Hi
    > why is the format of the google add on the left side wrong. it should
    > be 120*90 and be a linkblock with 5 links. But it takes the format of
    > above 125*125.
    > http://shop.sgier.com
    > Thanks
    > Michael

    Just a hint: try to reformulate your question, so anybody can understand
    it. Choose a subject more specific than just "google". Try to use
    correct English grammar and spelling, write full sentences. Maybe that
    will improve the number of people which do not just ignore your post...

    jojo, Jul 24, 2006

  3. I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
    embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
    format from there?
    Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks
    Michael
    PS: My mother tongue is german...

    Michael Sgier, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Michael Sgier

    Els Guest

    Michael Sgier wrote:

    > Hi
    > why is the format of the google add on the left side wrong. it should
    > be 120*90 and be a linkblock with 5 links. But it takes the format of
    > above 125*125.
    > http://shop.sgier.com

    <iframe name="google_ads_frame"
    src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-8189704777307305&amp;dt=1153754307125&amp;lmt=1153754306&amp;format=125x125&amp;output=html&amp;url=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.sgier.com%2F&amp;cc=100&amp;u_h=1024&amp;u_w=1280&amp;u_ah=994&amp;u_aw=981&amp;u_cd=32&amp;u_tz=120&amp;u_his=1&amp;u_java=true&amp;u_nplug=24&amp;u_nmime=99"
    marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0"
    allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="125" scrolling="no"
    width="125">

    Looks like the size is in the iframe.
    Did you write that code, or did Google provide it?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Camel - Down on the Farm

    Els, Jul 24, 2006
  5. Michael Sgier

    jojo Guest

    Michael Sgier wrote:

    > I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
    > embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
    > format from there?

    Might help.

    > Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks

    Maybe.

    > Michael
    > PS: My mother tongue is german...

    And so is mine...

    jojo, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Michael Sgier

    rwap Guest

    jojo wrote:
    > Michael Sgier wrote:
    >
    > > I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
    > > embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
    > > format from there?

    > Might help.
    >
    > > Look at the source and maybe you can help? Thanks

    > Maybe.
    >
    > > Michael
    > > PS: My mother tongue is german...

    > And so is mine...

    Yes, the problem lies in the size definition in the frame - Google
    Adsense would not have provided this for a 120x90 advert so you must
    have copied it from somewhere else. However, I only see 3 Google ads
    on both Internet Explorer and Opera - which one is wrong as they all
    appear fine (there is one on each side and one at the bottom).

    On another note - the shadow for your title is too bold - it is hard to
    actually read the name of the site. The white links in the grey boxes
    (post news) are also very hard to read.

    Also, why the popup to say that it is not compatible with Internet
    Explorer - the front page at least, seems to display the same on IE as
    under Opera (except for a minor thing with the 4th item in post news
    which displays the top of a line of text).

    Oh maybe it is when you enter the shop - that comes out completely
    different in IE from the front page - plain black text on white paper
    in a separate window. It doesn't even open under Opera v9 here.

    Rich
    www.internetbusinessangels.com

    rwap, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Hi Els
    where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
    http://shop.sgier.com/
    The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    should be 120*90 as a linkBox.
    Thanks
    Michael

    Michael Sgier, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Hi Rich
    The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    should be 120*90 as a linkBox.
    The code should be originally copied as from google.
    IE should be compatible :) but as a linux site i think i can have
    that and maybe someone clicks on the add...Need to try Opera
    then.
    Thanks
    Michael

    Michael Sgier, Jul 24, 2006
  9. Michael Sgier

    Els Guest

    Michael Sgier wrote:

    > Hi Els
    > where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
    > http://shop.sgier.com/
    > The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    > should be 120*90 as a linkBox.

    That's weird - if I just do a view source, and do a search for 125,
    there is piece of Google JavaScript that states 125 height and width.
    It's inside the first bit of google script, line nr. 138-140.
    But there is no iframe.

    However, if I just look at the page and go to the block that says
    "Advertisement", and select that entire block (with the Google ad in
    it), and then right click and do a view selection source (in Firefox),
    I get a DOM-source of selection, which clearly shows an iframe.
    I'd say something in your JavaScript somewhere generates that iframe,
    and it's 125x125 px, just like the Google ad.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Caravan - Asforteri

    Els, Jul 24, 2006
  10. Michael Sgier

    jojo Guest

    rwap wrote:

    >>> I probably should add that theres above this google add another one
    >>> embedded in JS (only visible with IE) and i suppose its getting the
    >>> format from there?

    <snip>

    > Yes, the problem lies in the size definition in the frame - Google
    > Adsense would not have provided this for a 120x90 advert so you must
    > have copied it from somewhere else. However, I only see 3 Google ads
    > on both Internet Explorer and Opera - which one is wrong as they all
    > appear fine (there is one on each side and one at the bottom).

    I guess the one at the right - it's the only one which seems to be
    square (125*125).

    > On another note - the shadow for your title is too bold - it is hard to
    > actually read the name of the site. The white links in the grey boxes
    > (post news) are also very hard to read.

    ACKM

    > Also, why the popup to say that it is not compatible with Internet
    > Explorer - the front page at least, seems to display the same on IE as
    > under Opera (except for a minor thing with the 4th item in post news
    > which displays the top of a line of text).

    Just a question: who pays money for spreading FF? Not that I don't like
    the idea of suggesting the user to use FF, but the reasons why someone
    should use it are - let's say a bit strange.

    || - Firefox blocks pop-up windows.

    IE can do this, too (Google toolbar for example). You just have to know how.

    || - It's more secure against viruses and spyware.

    OK, right in this point.

    || - It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.

    Do you really believe that anybody really can /control/ the internet?
    Sounds like a bit of propaganda.

    || - It's better for web designers and developers.

    And almost everybody who visit your site is web designer? I guess most
    web designers already use FF or Opera (or any other browser, but no IE).

    || - Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier

    Tabs improve readability? Yes, they are a good invention and might make
    surfing easier, but the readability?

    > Oh maybe it is when you enter the shop - that comes out completely
    > different in IE from the front page - plain black text on white paper
    > in a separate window.

    Its plain black text in FF, too.

    >It doesn't even open under Opera v9 here.

    Use Firefox than:
    || -Firefox blocks pop-up windows.
    || - It's more secure against viruses and spyware.
    || - It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.
    || - It's better for web designers and developers.
    || - Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier
    -seems to be the only browser which can view the site properly

    <g>

    BTW: it's not a good idea to code a website only for a single browser
    (FF). Still IE is the most used browser in the world (awful enough), so
    your site should be usable with it. And Opera, too, is used by many
    people, so make your site work with it. At least this three browsers
    should be able to open and display your site. And I suppose almost all
    other browser can view it correct if these three can.

    jojo, Jul 24, 2006
  11. Michael Sgier

    jojo Guest

    Els wrote:

    >> where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
    >> http://shop.sgier.com/
    >> The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    >> should be 120*90 as a linkBox.

    > That's weird - if I just do a view source, and do a search for 125,
    > there is piece of Google JavaScript that states 125 height and width.
    > It's inside the first bit of google script, line nr. 138-140.
    > But there is no iframe.
    >
    > However, if I just look at the page and go to the block that says
    > "Advertisement", and select that entire block (with the Google ad in
    > it), and then right click and do a view selection source (in Firefox),
    > I get a DOM-source of selection, which clearly shows an iframe.
    > I'd say something in your JavaScript somewhere generates that iframe,
    > and it's 125x125 px, just like the Google ad.

    I guess some google script does that. But it might be necessary to show
    the add: how else would you show content from a different domain on your
    page?

    jojo, Jul 24, 2006
  12. Michael Sgier

    rwap Guest

    jojo wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    > >> where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
    > >> http://shop.sgier.com/
    > >> The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    > >> should be 120*90 as a linkBox.

    > > That's weird - if I just do a view source, and do a search for 125,
    > > there is piece of Google JavaScript that states 125 height and width.
    > > It's inside the first bit of google script, line nr. 138-140.
    > > But there is no iframe.
    > >
    > > However, if I just look at the page and go to the block that says
    > > "Advertisement", and select that entire block (with the Google ad in
    > > it), and then right click and do a view selection source (in Firefox),
    > > I get a DOM-source of selection, which clearly shows an iframe.
    > > I'd say something in your JavaScript somewhere generates that iframe,
    > > and it's 125x125 px, just like the Google ad.
    > >

    > I guess some google script does that. But it might be necessary to show
    > the add: how else would you show content from a different domain on your
    > page?

    I am at a loss here - there are 3 google ads on the site - one 125x125
    on the left hand side, one 120x600 on the right hand side and one 468x
    60 at the bottom. All 3 display as coded on IE v7 and Opera v9 and if
    the one on the left hand side were changed to 120x600, it would push
    everything on the left hand side too far down the page to keep it
    balanced.

    However, if the author wants a 120x600 banner on the left hand side (as
    well as on the right), then simply alter the code. The HTML giving the
    problem is:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    google_ad_client = "pub-8189704777307305";
    google_ad_width = 125;
    google_ad_height = 125;
    google_ad_format = "125x125_as_rimg";
    google_cpa_choice = "CAAQ-YOy0QEaCBJ_cFqMCYHjKK2293M";
    //--></script>
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
    </script>

    Simply replace the google_ad_width, google_ad_height and
    google_ad_format settings to (as per the one on the right hand side):

    google_ad_width = 120;
    google_ad_height = 600;
    google_ad_format = "120x600_as";

    Rich Mellor
    www.internetbusinessangels.com

    rwap, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Michael Sgier

    rwap Guest

    jojo wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    > >> where should that code be? I can't find it on my page...
    > >> http://shop.sgier.com/
    > >> The left Advertisement Box is 125*125 but
    > >> should be 120*90 as a linkBox.

    > > That's weird - if I just do a view source, and do a search for 125,
    > > there is piece of Google JavaScript that states 125 height and width.
    > > It's inside the first bit of google script, line nr. 138-140.
    > > But there is no iframe.
    > >
    > > However, if I just look at the page and go to the block that says
    > > "Advertisement", and select that entire block (with the Google ad in
    > > it), and then right click and do a view selection source (in Firefox),
    > > I get a DOM-source of selection, which clearly shows an iframe.
    > > I'd say something in your JavaScript somewhere generates that iframe,
    > > and it's 125x125 px, just like the Google ad.
    > >

    > I guess some google script does that. But it might be necessary to show
    > the add: how else would you show content from a different domain on your
    > page?

    OK so going back into Google AdSense and asking for a 5 line link box
    120x90 you get completely different code to what has been used on the
    page. The HTML giving the
    problem is:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--
    google_ad_client = "pub-8189704777307305";
    google_ad_width = 125;
    google_ad_height = 125;
    google_ad_format = "125x125_as_rimg";
    google_cpa_choice = "CAAQ-YOy0QEaCBJ_cFqMCYHjKK2293M";
    //--></script>

    Simply replace the google_ad_width, google_ad_height and
    google_ad_format settings to:

    google_ad_width = 120;
    google_ad_height = 90;
    google_ad_format = "120x90_0ads_al_s";

    Rich Mellor
    www.internetbusinessangels.com

    rwap, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Hi
    the format 125*125 is for the IE ONLY add. this does not show in FF at all
    and also in IE you click it
    away. Then in the main page on the left box the googel should be 120*90 but
    it takes the previous format, at least in parts.
    Els you might be right...i search for that iframe thing.
    Cheers Michael

    Michael Sgier, Jul 25, 2006
  15. Michael Sgier

    rwap Guest

    Michael Sgier wrote:
    > Hi
    > the format 125*125 is for the IE ONLY add. this does not show in FF at all
    > and also in IE you click it
    > away. Then in the main page on the left box the googel should be 120*90 but
    > it takes the previous format, at least in parts.
    > Els you might be right...i search for that iframe thing.
    > Cheers Michael

    Ah right - sorry I did not realise that. I can see the code for the
    120*90 box in Opera (as well as the code for the 125x125 box) and I
    have spotted the errror (methinks)!!.

    Your code is:
    <script type="text/javascript"><!--google_ad_client =
    "pub-8189704777307305"; google_ad_width = 120; google_ad_height = 90;
    google_ad_format = "120x90_0ads_al_s"; google_ad_channel ="";
    //--></script> <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script></p>

    Anyone else spot this??

    <!--google_ad_client (etc) is missing a vital space - it should be:
    <!-- google_ad_client (etc)

    rwap, Jul 25, 2006