    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Sep 2, 2008

  2. On 2008-09-02, Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > Has anyone managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    > how well Java behaves?

    Looks like windows only. I'll wait for it to be available on Linux.

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org
    CGeek Wannabe, Sep 2, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Guest

    On Sep 2, 3:25 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > Has anyone  managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    > how well Java behaves?
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    Couldn't get it to work. Seems like there's no Java plug in, and the
    current Java installer obviously doesn't know about it. Tried to copy
    the safari, and Mozilla plug ins into the chrome plugin directory and
    the plug in seemed to crash.

    Hopefully, someone will fill this hole soon.
    , Sep 2, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Guest

    , Sep 3, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    JSH Guest

    On Sep 2, 12:25 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > Has anyone  managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    > how well Java behaves?
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    Yup. Easy as pie, using it now. Only thing is that the letters here
    are very tiny so need to figure out how to make them bigger.

    It IS fast. Just need to get bigger letters here...

    James
    JSH, Sep 3, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:01:05 -0700 (PDT),

    >Need to install Java 1.6_10 and it works!

    most important problems:

    There are three things missing:
    1. home button
    2. stop button

    Chrome reports Java Web Start as not present (see javascript on
    http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html)

    Chrome does not run Java Web Start apps (*.jnlp) seamlessly. You must
    download then run.

    Chrome runs signed Java apps without confirmation, even ones with
    self-signed certificates

    You must use beta JDK 1.6.0_10. This has been reported already..

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Roedy Green schrieb:
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:01:05 -0700 (PDT),
    >
    >> Need to install Java 1.6_10 and it works!

    > most important problems:
    >
    > There are three things missing:
    > 1. home button
    > 2. stop button

    Over here I do have a home button as well as a view source button. Stop works by
    pressing ESC

    > Chrome reports Java Web Start as not present (see javascript on
    > http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html)
    >
    > Chrome does not run Java Web Start apps (*.jnlp) seamlessly. You must
    > download then run.

    works like expected over here. I just need to allow downloading jnlp file.

    Stefan Rybacki, Sep 3, 2008
  9. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:27:19 -0700 (PDT), JSH <> wrote,

    >It IS fast. Just need to get bigger letters here...

    in Fonts & languages I configured 16 point Constantia, Arial and 13
    but BitStream Vera Sans Mono.

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  10. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, JSH wrote:

    > On Sep 2, 12:25 pm, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    >> Has anyone  managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    >> how well Java behaves?
    >> --
    >>
    >> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    > Yup. Easy as pie, using it now. Only thing is that the letters here
    > are very tiny so need to figure out how to make them bigger.

    Well, duh. How do you think they made Chrome go so fast? It's lightweight
    - because the characters are smaller than in regular browsers!

    Sure, you can make them bigger, but expect the performance to evaporate.

    Now, if only we could get web page authors to use smaller letters in the
    first place, then we could slash download times too ...

    tom

    --
    not to act in accordance with reason is contrary to God's nature --
    Pope Benedict XVI
    Tom Anderson, Sep 3, 2008
  11. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:43:53 +0100, Tom Anderson <>

    >Well, duh. How do you think they made Chrome go so fast? It's lightweight
    >- because the characters are smaller than in regular browsers!
    >
    >Sure, you can make them bigger, but expect the performance to evaporate.
    >
    >Now, if only we could get web page authors to use smaller letters in the
    >first place, then we could slash download times too ...

    :)

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  12. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:26:04 +0200, Christian <> wrote,

    >Also there seem to be security holes in it like that Carpet Bomb that
    >Safari has meanwhile fixed though due to Chrome still using older
    >version of that WebKit is still vulnerable to people executing arbitrary
    >code with just some user-click.

    There is a comic book that talks about the design. It looks
    promising, how they go for isolation and sandboxing each JavaScript.

    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

    It will be a while before that design compensates for its immaturity.

    Chrome is aimed at a casual user, a few buttons and options as
    possible to avoid overwhelm. Not even any skins.

    I discovered you can get a home button. You have to configure it on in
    options.

    It does not support client SSL authentication, but it does support SSL
    and EVSSL secure websites.

    Roedy Green, Sep 3, 2008
  13. Roedy Green

    Guest

    On Sep 3, 5:29 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:27:19 -0700 (PDT), JSH <> wrote,
    >
    > >It IS fast.  Just need to get bigger letters here...

    > in Fonts & languages I configured 16 point Constantia, Arial and 13
    > but BitStream Vera Sans Mono.
    > --

    James is too stupid to configure fonts.
    , Sep 3, 2008
  14. On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:03:46 +0100, bugbear wrote:

    > Wayne wrote:
    >> I would try it myself, but I have a rule about not installing software
    >> with a version number that ends in "b" (beta") or "0".

    > Me too - thank $DEITY for early adopters!

    Two good reasons for avoiding it are:

    1) The EULA, part of which reduces to the equivalent of
    "All your bases are belong to us".

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/

    2) The current release still contains the Safari carpetbombing bug
    that Apple recently squashed. See:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_vuln/

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Sep 3, 2008
  15. Take off every 'ZIG'!! (was Re: Google's new Chrome browser)

    Martin Gregorie wrote:

    > 1) The EULA, part of which reduces to the equivalent of
    > "All your bases are belong to us".

    That should of course be "All your base are belong to us." ;-)

    Bummer though.

    --
    RGB
    All your snowclone are respected by me.
    RedGrittyBrick, Sep 3, 2008
  16. Christian wrote:
    > Roedy Green schrieb:
    >> Has anyone managed to download Google's new browser Chrome and see
    >> how well Java behaves?

    > I must admit from all what I heard I will refrain from using this
    > browser ever.
    >
    > The browser seems to send constantly data to google. There should be
    > something about this in the EULA as well.

    Does it do that if you refuse the installation option for collecting
    usage info?
    Chris Riesbeck, Sep 3, 2008
  17. Stefan Rybacki wrote:
    > Roedy Green schrieb:
    >> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:01:05 -0700 (PDT),
    >>
    >>> Need to install Java 1.6_10 and it works!

    >> most important problems:
    >>
    >> There are three things missing:
    >> 1. home button
    >> 2. stop button

    > Over here I do have a home button as well as a view source button. Stop
    > works by pressing ESC

    Both View Source (control-shift-U) and a DOM Inspector are under the
    [Control document] | Developer menu. The DOM inspector is inside the
    Javascript console.
    Chris Riesbeck, Sep 3, 2008
  18. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:44:27 -0500, Chris Riesbeck
    who said :

    >Both View Source (control-shift-U) and a DOM Inspector are under the
    >[Control document] | Developer menu. The DOM inspector is inside the
    >Javascript console.

    Thanks. I have updated the docs at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/google.html#CHROME

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2008
  19. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:30:13 -0400, "Mickey Segal"
    who said :

    >I tested with an applet signed with a real certificate and it asked for
    >permission as it does in Firefox.

    Maybe it is behaving BETTER than Opera. The Applets I tested were my
    own. Maybe it recognises my cert as automatically valid.

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2008
  20. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:30:13 -0400, "Mickey Segal"
    >>I tested with an applet signed with a real certificate and it asked for
    >>permission as it does in Firefox.

    > Maybe it is behaving BETTER than Opera. The Applets I tested were my
    > own. Maybe it recognises my cert as automatically valid.

    Or, perhaps you've registered your own certificate on your machine
    somewhere and Chrome found it there...

    I'll wait for a Linux version, before I try it myself.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Sep 4, 2008