Gosh, where are virginmedia's rants gone?

Stuart Redmann

Hello newsgroup,

did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

Stuart

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Stuart Redmann, on 28.09.2010 14:48:
Hello newsgroup,

did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

AFAIK Google doesn't clean up spam.

However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".

And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
Google's archive.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Stuart Redmann

* Stuart Redmann, on 28.09.2010 14:48:

AFAIK Google doesn't clean up spam.

However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".

And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
Google's archive.

I see. Do you know whether Google has a list of trustworthy
newsservers or not? If not, I could delete some messages by setting up
a dummy newsserver ... (just a thought, there is nothing that I'm
ashamed of ;-)

Regards,
Stuart

gwowen

However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".

And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
Google's archive.

That's as maybe, but they were showing up on Googles servers earlier
today, and now they're not. I wonder if he sent cancel messages for
them himself, google has been known to honour those in the past, at
least on occasion. And google do de-spam their archives from time-to-
time -- usually long after the articles are current, so the up-to-date
newsfeed is spam rich, the archives are less so.

Francesco S. Carta

Hello newsgroup,

did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

My newsserver still has all those messages - on c.l.c++, at least, where
the oldest message dates back to 15/07/2010 (that must have been the
oldest one when I subscribed the group on my current newsserver); on
a.c.l.l.c-c++ the threads get regularly purged and I can go back just to
18/09/2010.

If you're interested in getting all of those messages they're still
available somewhere on the web, for instance here:
http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/language-c/644721-input-cin-3.html

Somewhere else my messages don't appear at all, one can tell my presence
only from others' quotes:
http://www.phwinfo.com/forum/comp-lang-cplus/463378-input-cin.html
I suppose that "mirror" did not inquire my newsserver - or have I been
censored?

Just search google for "pchristor yahoo.co.uk" (he used the same address
for both usernames, "Paul" and "news.virginmedia.com") to get other hits.