    didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
    suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

    Stuart

    Stuart Redmann, Sep 28, 2010

  2. * Stuart Redmann, on 28.09.2010 14:48:
    > Hello newsgroup,
    >
    > did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
    > didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
    > suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

    AFAIK Google doesn't clean up spam.

    However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".

    And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
    Google's archive.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Sep 28, 2010

  3. On 28 Sep., 14:55, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
    > wrote:
    > * Stuart Redmann, on 28.09.2010 14:48:
    >
    > > Hello newsgroup,

    > > did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
    > > didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
    > > suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

    > AFAIK Google doesn't clean up spam.
    >
    > However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".
    >
    > And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
    > Google's archive.

    I see. Do you know whether Google has a list of trustworthy
    newsservers or not? If not, I could delete some messages by setting up
    a dummy newsserver ... (just a thought, there is nothing that I'm
    ashamed of ;-)

    Regards,
    Stuart

    Stuart Redmann, Sep 28, 2010
  4. Stuart Redmann

    gwowen Guest

    On Sep 28, 1:55 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
    > wrote:

    > However, many newsservers use a program/module called "cleanfeed".
    >
    > And if Google gets a clean feed from somewhere, then that reduces spam also in
    > Google's archive.

    That's as maybe, but they were showing up on Googles servers earlier
    today, and now they're not. I wonder if he sent cancel messages for
    them himself, google has been known to honour those in the past, at
    least on occasion. And google do de-spam their archives from time-to-
    time -- usually long after the articles are current, so the up-to-date
    newsfeed is spam rich, the archives are less so.

    gwowen, Sep 28, 2010
  5. Stuart Redmann <>, on 28/09/2010 05:48:15, wrote:

    > Hello newsgroup,
    >
    > did I miss something or had someone deleted virginmedia's rants? I
    > didn't know that Google cleans up this newsgroup (although there is
    > suspiciously little spam around nowadays).

    My newsserver still has all those messages - on c.l.c++, at least, where
    the oldest message dates back to 15/07/2010 (that must have been the
    oldest one when I subscribed the group on my current newsserver); on
    a.c.l.l.c-c++ the threads get regularly purged and I can go back just to
    18/09/2010.

    If you're interested in getting all of those messages they're still
    available somewhere on the web, for instance here:
    http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/language-c/644721-input-cin-3.html

    Somewhere else my messages don't appear at all, one can tell my presence
    only from others' quotes:
    http://www.phwinfo.com/forum/comp-lang-cplus/463378-input-cin.html
    I suppose that "mirror" did not inquire my newsserver - or have I been
    censored?

    Just search google for "pchristor yahoo.co.uk" (he used the same address
    for both usernames, "Paul" and "news.virginmedia.com") to get other hits.

    --
    Francesco S. Carta
    http://fscode.altervista.org

    Francesco S. Carta, Oct 3, 2010