Gosling has left Oracle

Arved Sandstrom

Stefan said:
»He created the original design of Java and implemented
its original compiler and virtual machine.«

»Since 1984, Gosling has been with Sun Microsystems, and
is known as the father of the Java programming language.

In April 2010, Gosling left Sun Microsystems which had
recently been acquired by the Oracle Corporation.«

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gosling

http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/time_to_move_on
He wasn't the first high-profile Sun dude to leave; Tim Bray jumped ship
to Google about a month and a half ago.

AHS

Lew

Arved said:
He wasn't the first high-profile Sun dude to leave; Tim Bray jumped ship
to Google about a month and a half ago.

And how long has it been since Josh Bloch went to Google?

(Nearly six years.)

Arne Vajhøj

And how long has it been since Josh Bloch went to Google?

(Nearly six years.)

Occasionally people do find new jobs.

SUN has had financial problems for many many years. No
surprise that some people were let go or left for other
companies (that were willing to pay more or provide
better work conditions).

After SUN got swallowed by Oracle, then all the SUN
employees have to change company culture anyway. In Oracle
they will get new bosses, new org chart, new titles,
new compensation structure, new internal systems for
everything from time sheet to ordering pens and paper.
In that case it is not surprising that some people
will pick another new company than Oracle to work for.

But I don't see either of those as a disaster for
Java. The people most likely will continue to work
with Java.

Joshua Blocg is still heavily involved in JCP work
after moving to Google. And he may have had some
influence on making Google use more Java.

So no need for panic.

Arne

Roedy Green

And how long has it been since Josh Bloch went to Google?

Bill Joy left too. Sun provided them a fun playground and lots of
freedom. Oracle is probably run by blue meanies in comparison.

Steve Sobol

Bill Joy left too. Sun provided them a fun playground and lots of
freedom. Oracle is probably run by blue meanies in comparison.

I wouldn't want to work for Larry Ellison. Ellison is the arrogant jerk
that claimed you couldn't break into Oracle's flagship database product
while people were, in fact, finding exploits for it.

My best friend of 30 years used to be a stock analyst tracking tech
stocks. He's actually met Ellison. He doesn't have a high opinion of
Ellison, either.

EricF

I wouldn't want to work for Larry Ellison. Ellison is the arrogant jerk
that claimed you couldn't break into Oracle's flagship database product
while people were, in fact, finding exploits for it.

My best friend of 30 years used to be a stock analyst tracking tech
stocks. He's actually met Ellison. He doesn't have a high opinion of
Ellison, either.
I agree with your opinion about Ellison but the company is doing very well and
Larry is rich as hell. He must be doing something right.

Eric

Steve Sobol

I agree with your opinion about Ellison but the company is doing very well and
Larry is rich as hell. He must be doing something right.

Agreed. I made no comment about their products, I just wouldn't want to
work for Ellison.

And, in reality, Oracle has a huge investment in Java, and it would not
make sense for them to try to screw it up.

Roedy Green

I wouldn't want to work for Larry Ellison.

According to the Wikipedia:
Lawrence Joseph "Larry" Ellison (born August 17, 1944) is an American
entrepreneur and the co-founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation, a major
enterprise software company. As of 2010, he is the sixth richest
person in the world with a personal wealth of US$28 billion.

Arne Vajhøj

I wouldn't want to work for Larry Ellison. Ellison is the arrogant jerk
that claimed you couldn't break into Oracle's flagship database product
while people were, in fact, finding exploits for it.

My best friend of 30 years used to be a stock analyst tracking tech
stocks. He's actually met Ellison. He doesn't have a high opinion of
Ellison, either.

I don't think you build billion dollar companies and billion dollar
net worths by being nice.

Arne

Mike Schilling

Arne said:
I don't think you build billion dollar companies and billion dollar
net worths by being nice.

AFAIK, Warren Buffet is a good fellow, and Bill Gates seems quite sincere
about world hunger.

Arne Vajhøj

AFAIK, Warren Buffet is a good fellow,

Maybe.

But I am skeptical.

John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie etc. were all pretty tough cookies.
and Bill Gates seems quite sincere
about world hunger.

Ah. But he is retired now.

There is a strange american tradition for successful business men
to become multi-billionaires being completely ruthless and then retire
and give most of the money to charity.

John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie etc..

Arne

Steve Sobol

Maybe.

But I am skeptical.

John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie etc. were all pretty tough cookies.

John D Rockefeller didn't give a rat's ass whether his employees got
killed, and intentionally put them in dangerous situations with no
protection. It's one thing to be a jerk, it's another to pull stunts
like that.

Likewise, I don't care if Larry Ellison is a nice guy or not. He's a
liar. He misrepresents the products he sells. That's the problem I have
with him.

Arne Vajhøj

Likewise, I don't care if Larry Ellison is a nice guy or not. He's a
liar. He misrepresents the products he sells. That's the problem I have
with him.

He is trying to sell stuff.

It is not that uncommon to be a little "flexible" when
trying to sell stuff.

I don't see Oracle as being worse than MS, SAP, IBM etc.etc..

<joke>
Question: How can you tell if a salesperson is lying? Answer: His/her
lips are moving.
</joke>

Arne

David Lamb

Arne said:
There is a strange american tradition for successful business men
to become multi-billionaires being completely ruthless and then retire
and give most of the money to charity.

John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie etc..

Often explained, with what accuracy I don't know, as motivated by guilt
at all they'd done on the way up.