    Would it be better to use z-index rather than the javascript
    "documnet.name.src" routine?
    In that case, I could then have a description right?

    Richard, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html
    >
    > Not only does it validate, but it works correctly in mozilla even.

    Yep. Much better.

    > One minor problem I have to decide on, is when on 800x600, it's impossible
    > to scroll the page horizontally due to the onmouseout feature I'm using.
    > So maybe I'll tone down the size of the large image a tad.

    I think you would be better off removing the onmouseout feature. I found it
    extremely annoying, so much so that If I found this site from google I'd
    probably use my back button. Not being harsh here, that is just the way I
    felt, annoyed.

    I usually click on something and expect the results of that click to stay
    there. I might subconsciously move my cursor over the next thumbnail while I
    am looking at the onscreen one, in anticipation of clicking the next
    thumbnail. Maybe (and this happened, subconciously) I just want to move my
    cursor off the thumbnail so I can see both images at once. Suddenly what I
    am looking at disappears.

    Note, all of this *is* subconscious, I did not do it on purpose. It's just
    the way people use mice, roving the cursor over the available links. I even
    find myself using the mouse cursor as a focus point into what I am reading
    or looking at. Well, perhaps not a focus point but having it ready, close to
    what I am looking at, in case a link requires cliking. I actually did this,
    subconciously, on your page. Once the thumbnail was clicked and the large
    image appeared my mouse naturally floated over the top of the picture. The
    picture, of course, disappeared :-(

    I had to make a quite concious and determined effort to keep the mouse
    cursor over the thumbnail, even to the point of letting go of the mouse, (*)
    much to the delight of the cat.

    I might also want to scroll back up to look at the words to re-read them in
    context with the picture.

    I might also have allocated less than my full screen to your page and so
    *need* to scroll the image horizontally.

    (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it quite
    hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse than IE, I
    cant even get the div to scroll.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Richard

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:16:47 GMT, rf declared in alt.html:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html
    >>

    > (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it quite
    > hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse than IE, I
    > cant even get the div to scroll.

    And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
    in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html
    >>
    >> Not only does it validate, but it works correctly in mozilla even.

    > Yep. Much better.

    >> One minor problem I have to decide on, is when on 800x600, it's
    >> impossible to scroll the page horizontally due to the onmouseout feature
    >>I'm using. So maybe I'll tone down the size of the large image a tad.

    > I think you would be better off removing the onmouseout feature. I found
    > it extremely annoying, so much so that If I found this site from google
    > I'd probably use my back button. Not being harsh here, that is just the
    > way I felt, annoyed.

    I know what you mean. I'm not sure I like it all that much either.
    My intention was to have a different image appear in each division in place
    of the original.
    But now I'm thinking maybe not.
    Besides, on smaller resolution, you can't scroll horizontally with it.

    > I usually click on something and expect the results of that click to stay
    > there. I might subconsciously move my cursor over the next thumbnail
    > while I am looking at the onscreen one, in anticipation of clicking the
    > next thumbnail. Maybe (and this happened, subconciously) I just want to
    > move my cursor off the thumbnail so I can see both images at once.
    > Suddenly what I am looking at disappears.

    > Note, all of this *is* subconscious, I did not do it on purpose. It's
    > just the way people use mice, roving the cursor over the available links.
    > I even find myself using the mouse cursor as a focus point into what I am
    > reading or looking at. Well, perhaps not a focus point but having it
    > ready, close to what I am looking at, in case a link requires cliking. I
    > actually did this, subconciously, on your page. Once the thumbnail was
    > clicked and the large image appeared my mouse naturally floated over the
    > top of the picture. The picture, of course, disappeared :-(

    > I had to make a quite concious and determined effort to keep the mouse
    > cursor over the thumbnail, even to the point of letting go of the mouse,
    > (*) much to the delight of the cat.

    Most odd. I thought the thumbnail size would not let that happen.
    Plus I am using onclick and not onmouseover.

    > I might also want to scroll back up to look at the words to re-read them
    > in context with the picture.

    > I might also have allocated less than my full screen to your page and so
    > *need* to scroll the image horizontally.

    I realize that probability.

    > (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it
    > quite hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse
    > than IE, I cant even get the div to scroll.

    Odd. Works for me no problem.
    Got the latest version?

    Richard, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:16:47 GMT, rf declared in alt.html:

    >> "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >>> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html
    >>>

    >> (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it
    >> quite hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse
    >>than IE, I cant even get the div to scroll.

    > And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
    > in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

    I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting has
    to be changed somewhere.
    The wheel scroll works fine on the master part of the page.

    Richard, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:16:47 GMT, rf declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html
    > >>

    > > (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it

    quite
    > > hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse than IE,

    > > cant even get the div to scroll.
    > >

    > And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
    > in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

    I've come across many non-microsoft applications that don't respond
    correctly to WM_MOUSEWHEEL, perhaps because Microsoft invented it [1] ?
    It's not rocket science though , just hook the bloody message BUT one has to
    remember to do so. Obviously the world that wrote the gecho engine missed
    that bit. It's easy to do. Scroll messages are usually handled by the
    framework (MFC etc). WM_MOUSEWHEEL currently has to be specifically handled
    by the application code.

    [1] Did they? The one I have has "crosoft" scribed across the edge near the
    led just to the right of the bit where my thumb has rubbed off the paint
    [2].

    [2] It's a 5 button mouse, I use my thumb to rapidly back out of web sites I
    blunder into that play music at me [3]

    [3] I lied. I don't even have my speakers plugged in.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Richard

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > > And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
    > > in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

    > I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting

    has
    > to be changed somewhere.

    Why don't you simply look? (hint: F1)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Richard

    > rf wrote:
    >

    > > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > >> http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html

    > > I had to make a quite concious and determined effort to keep the mouse
    > > cursor over the thumbnail, even to the point of letting go of the

    mouse,
    > > (*) much to the delight of the cat.

    > Most odd. I thought the thumbnail size would not let that happen.
    > Plus I am using onclick and not onmouseover.

    Oh come on. Did you actually *read* my post? Nothing you can do will stop me
    from moving my mouse cursor. What I say is that if I move my mouse cursor
    the big picture disappears. I have to REALLY TRY to not move the cursor
    while looking at the big picture.

    > > I might also have allocated less than my full screen to your page and

    so
    > > *need* to scroll the image horizontally.

    > I realize that probability.

    So why did you prevent me doing that?

    > > (*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it
    > > quite hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse
    > > than IE, I cant even get the div to scroll.

    > Odd. Works for me no problem.
    > Got the latest version?

    Get real! I really don't believe the validity of this statement, expecially
    when, in another post, you reply to Mark with
    <quote>
    I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting has
    to be changed somewhere.
    The wheel scroll works fine on the master part of the page.
    </quote>

    Did you even *test* this before you made this post? I think not, you
    probably just made it up.

    Cheers
    Ricahrd.

    rf, Jan 14, 2004