Got it working right!

Richard

http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html

Not only does it validate, but it works correctly in mozilla even.

One minor problem I have to decide on, is when on 800x600, it's impossible
to scroll the page horizontally due to the onmouseout feature I'm using.
So maybe I'll tone down the size of the large image a tad.

'nuther question is, is there anyway I can maybe put a description under a
specific picture if I want?
Under the larger image that is.

Would it be better to use z-index rather than the javascript
"documnet.name.src" routine?
In that case, I could then have a description right?

rf

Richard said:
http://1-large-world.com/stargate/movie/scrolltable4.html

Not only does it validate, but it works correctly in mozilla even.

Yep. Much better.
One minor problem I have to decide on, is when on 800x600, it's impossible
to scroll the page horizontally due to the onmouseout feature I'm using.
So maybe I'll tone down the size of the large image a tad.

I think you would be better off removing the onmouseout feature. I found it
extremely annoying, so much so that If I found this site from google I'd
probably use my back button. Not being harsh here, that is just the way I
felt, annoyed.

I usually click on something and expect the results of that click to stay
there. I might subconsciously move my cursor over the next thumbnail while I
am looking at the onscreen one, in anticipation of clicking the next
thumbnail. Maybe (and this happened, subconciously) I just want to move my
cursor off the thumbnail so I can see both images at once. Suddenly what I
am looking at disappears.

Note, all of this *is* subconscious, I did not do it on purpose. It's just
the way people use mice, roving the cursor over the available links. I even
find myself using the mouse cursor as a focus point into what I am reading
or looking at. Well, perhaps not a focus point but having it ready, close to
what I am looking at, in case a link requires cliking. I actually did this,
subconciously, on your page. Once the thumbnail was clicked and the large
image appeared my mouse naturally floated over the top of the picture. The
picture, of course, disappeared :-(

I had to make a quite concious and determined effort to keep the mouse
cursor over the thumbnail, even to the point of letting go of the mouse, (*)
much to the delight of the cat.

I might also want to scroll back up to look at the words to re-read them in
context with the picture.

I might also have allocated less than my full screen to your page and so
*need* to scroll the image horizontally.

(*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it quite
hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse than IE, I
cant even get the div to scroll.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

(*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it quite
hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse than IE, I
cant even get the div to scroll.

And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

Richard

rf wrote:

Yep. Much better.
I think you would be better off removing the onmouseout feature. I found
it extremely annoying, so much so that If I found this site from google
I'd probably use my back button. Not being harsh here, that is just the
way I felt, annoyed.

I know what you mean. I'm not sure I like it all that much either.
My intention was to have a different image appear in each division in place
of the original.
But now I'm thinking maybe not.
Besides, on smaller resolution, you can't scroll horizontally with it.
[...]

Most odd. I thought the thumbnail size would not let that happen.
Plus I am using onclick and not onmouseover.

I might also want to scroll back up to look at the words to re-read them
in context with the picture.
I might also have allocated less than my full screen to your page and so
*need* to scroll the image horizontally.

I realize that probability.
(*) BTW do you realize that the scrolling div you have there makes it
quite hard to use this page with the keyboard? Oddly Mozilla is worse
than IE, I cant even get the div to scroll.

Odd. Works for me no problem.
Got the latest version?

Richard

And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting has
to be changed somewhere.
The wheel scroll works fine on the master part of the page.

rf

Mark Parnell said:
And the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on that div either. Only
in Mozilla again. IE is fine. Weird.

I've come across many non-microsoft applications that don't respond
correctly to WM_MOUSEWHEEL, perhaps because Microsoft invented it [1] ?
It's not rocket science though , just hook the bloody message BUT one has to
remember to do so. Obviously the world that wrote the gecho engine missed
that bit. It's easy to do. Scroll messages are usually handled by the
framework (MFC etc). WM_MOUSEWHEEL currently has to be specifically handled
by the application code.

[1] Did they? The one I have has "crosoft" scribed across the edge near the
led just to the right of the bit where my thumb has rubbed off the paint
[2].

[2] It's a 5 button mouse, I use my thumb to rapidly back out of web sites I
blunder into that play music at me [3]

[3] I lied. I don't even have my speakers plugged in.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Richard said:
I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting has
to be changed somewhere.

Why don't you simply look? (hint: F1)

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Richard said:
rf wrote:

Most odd. I thought the thumbnail size would not let that happen.
Plus I am using onclick and not onmouseover.

Oh come on. Did you actually *read* my post? Nothing you can do will stop me
from moving my mouse cursor. What I say is that if I move my mouse cursor
the big picture disappears. I have to REALLY TRY to not move the cursor
while looking at the big picture.
I realize that probability.

So why did you prevent me doing that?
Odd. Works for me no problem.
Got the latest version?

Get real! I really don't believe the validity of this statement, expecially
when, in another post, you reply to Mark with
<quote>
I noticed that too. Wonder if that's a quirk in mozilla or if a setting has
to be changed somewhere.
The wheel scroll works fine on the master part of the page.
</quote>

Did you even *test* this before you made this post? I think not, you
probably just made it up.

Cheers
Ricahrd.