    same in both browsers.
    All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Jun 3, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <>
    writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$:

    > On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
    > there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
    > When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
    > instead of surrounding it.
    > I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
    > the same in both browsers.
    > All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
    > Brian Tozer

    Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jun 3, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Adrienne" wrote ...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <>
    > writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$:
    >
    >> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
    >> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
    >> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
    >> instead of surrounding it.
    >> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
    >> the same in both browsers.
    >> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.

    > Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

    Thanks so much Adrienne.
    The first time I have come across that particular gotcha.
    Brian.
    KiwiBrian, Jun 3, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Adrienne <>

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian" <>
    > writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$:
    >
    >> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
    >> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
    >> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the menu
    >> instead of surrounding it.
    >> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border display
    >> the same in both browsers.
    >> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
    >> Brian Tozer
    >>

    > Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

    But what height? In pixels like width? In em? In %? It looks ok at a guessed
    px height, true.

    But it all breaks down when changing browser font sizes. And rather
    dramatically where the rect border can be outside the links altogether. Is
    there some fundamental reason to use tables? Yes? Fine! Then why mess about
    with all this stuff of divs within and fancy css? If you are going to code
    according to the idea of separating style from content and run this
    difficult river, then do so without tables and then the disadvantages of
    having it break down a bit at least can be balanced. If you use tables
    anyway, you don't need these headaches. You don't need inline this, and
    margins that, display this and lists for so simple a menu if you are going
    to use table cells anyway.

    These remarks are directed to the OP, in case there is any
    misunderstanding...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 3, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme <>
    writing in news:BEC62704.12330%:

    >> From: Adrienne <>

    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "KiwiBrian"
    >> <> writing in news:d7oj46$bo9$:
    >>
    >>> On my page at http://www.hibiscuslink.co.nz/rbsl/ when viewed in IE6
    >>> there is a desired dark brown border surrounding the horizontal menu.
    >>> When viewed in FF the border seems to only be displayed above the
    >>> menu instead of surrounding it.
    >>> I would love to know the reson why, and how to make the border
    >>> display the same in both browsers.
    >>> All CSS is embedded and/or inline.
    >>> Brian Tozer
    >>>

    >> Give #navcontainer ul height and you will have your border.

    > But what height? In pixels like width? In em? In %? It looks ok at a
    > guessed px height, true.

    The OP is free to use whatever unit of height suits. When I was
    experimenting I used 2ems.

    > But it all breaks down when changing browser font sizes. And rather
    > dramatically where the rect border can be outside the links altogether.
    > Is there some fundamental reason to use tables? Yes? Fine! Then why
    > mess about with all this stuff of divs within and fancy css? If you are
    > going to code according to the idea of separating style from content
    > and run this difficult river, then do so without tables and then the
    > disadvantages of having it break down a bit at least can be balanced.
    > If you use tables anyway, you don't need these headaches. You don't
    > need inline this, and margins that, display this and lists for so
    > simple a menu if you are going to use table cells anyway.

    Agreed.

    > These remarks are directed to the OP, in case there is any
    > misunderstanding...

    I knew that, and agree with it.

    Adrienne, Jun 3, 2005