Got the ball rolling on a new newsgroup...

Discussion in 'C++' started by Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. A week or so I go, I proposed the founding of a new newsgroup called
    comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, but I've since decided that comp.lang.c+
    +.cross-platform would be a better name.

    I've gotten the ball rolling on getting the newsgroup up and running.
    For those of you not in the know when it comes to setting up a new
    newsgroup, I'll post to this thread informing how the process works, how
    to vote for or against it and so forth. If anyone wants an idea on how
    the new newsgroup will work, here's the e-mail I sent to the helper
    people:

    START E-MAIL

    Hi my name's Tomás, I'm a computer programmer. I'd like to see a new
    Usenet newsgroup called "comp.lang.c++.cross-platform". There is already
    a newsgroup called "comp.lang.c++", but its discussion is restricted to
    elements of the C++ Standard (e.g. how the language works, and how you
    work with the language's standard libraries). More higher-level
    discussions such as working with wireless internet or interfacing with a
    scanner via USB are quite out of place there, so a group such as
    comp.lang.c++.cross-platform would be quite convenient.

    The purpose of the newsgroup would be for people to discuss and
    inquire about cross-platform C++ libraries. (Basically this means you
    can have a program that will run on lots of different systems such as
    Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, but you only have to write the program
    once because all the libraries used are cross-platform, i.e. they'll
    work on more than just the one platform). A sample inquiry would be:

    "I want to write a web-browser that can work on Windows, Linux,
    Solaris and Mac OS. Could someone please suggest suitable cross-platform
    libraries for a) Networking and b) Graphical User Interface, and perhaps
    give me the pro's and con's of each?"

    or:

    "I want to write a program to interface with an electronics board
    via USB port. Could someone please suggest a cross-platform library for
    interfacing over USB?"

    A sample discussion might be whether the cross-platform programmer
    should opt for "xWindows" or for "Qt" when they want a portable
    graphical user interface for their program. If such a thread were to be
    posted to comp.lang.c++, 90% of the replies would be telling you take
    your off-topic discussion elsewhere.

    Where should I go from here? :-D

    (I had originally proposed to the folks at comp.lang.c++ that this new
    newsgroup be called comp.lang.c++.portable.highlevel, but I've decided
    that comp.lang.c++.cross-platform would be a more fitting name.)

    Thanks for your time,

    Tomás

    END E-MAIL

    --