GPS

jorge vilela

Hello,

I'm building a web software to receive data via Internet (latitude,
longitude, hour, device_id) and show the device in a map.

I'm using the free Google Maps API, works fine but it's illegal for
that porpoise (I need sell that software). So, I need buy the Premier
edition (costs around 15k dollars / year) or get another way to make
that work.
The mosts of people use Google Maps or some web API like that (usually
bill for access), but all that "API's" are expensive because my
software won't give so much money.

So i though: Could exists some way to buy just an API and Maps to use
locally?
i.e: I could buy a TOMTOM framework to read TOMTOM maps, so i wouldn't
access any on-line api and would update that when needed. A TOMTOM
device costs around 200$, so i figure a framework to read them maps
isn't so expensive.

Anyone know a solution?

Thanks
Jorge Vilela

Martin Gregorie

I'm building a web software to receive data via Internet (latitude,
longitude, hour, device_id) and show the device in a map.

I'm using the free Google Maps API, works fine but it's illegal for that
porpoise (I need sell that software). So, I need buy the Premier edition
(costs around 15k dollars / year) or get another way to make that work.
The mosts of people use Google Maps or some web API like that (usually
bill for access), but all that "API's" are expensive because my software
won't give so much money.
NASA has made free digital global maps available and there is at least
one other source too. I use two Open Source flight navigation programs
that display terrain and topographic maps based on these data sources but
I don't know where to get the mapping data from.

I suggest you ask the projects about the sources:

XCSoar - http://www.xcsoar.org/
LK8000 - http://www.bware.it/LK8000