GPS

Discussion in 'Java' started by jorge vilela, Oct 15, 2010.

  1. jorge vilela

    jorge vilela Guest

    Hello,

    I'm building a web software to receive data via Internet (latitude,
    longitude, hour, device_id) and show the device in a map.

    I'm using the free Google Maps API, works fine but it's illegal for
    that porpoise (I need sell that software). So, I need buy the Premier
    edition (costs around 15k dollars / year) or get another way to make
    that work.
    The mosts of people use Google Maps or some web API like that (usually
    bill for access), but all that "API's" are expensive because my
    software won't give so much money.

    So i though: Could exists some way to buy just an API and Maps to use
    locally?
    i.e: I could buy a TOMTOM framework to read TOMTOM maps, so i wouldn't
    access any on-line api and would update that when needed. A TOMTOM
    device costs around 200$, so i figure a framework to read them maps
    isn't so expensive.

    Anyone know a solution?

    Thanks
    Jorge Vilela

    jorge vilela, Oct 15, 2010

  2. On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:54:49 -0700, jorge vilela wrote:

    > I'm building a web software to receive data via Internet (latitude,
    > longitude, hour, device_id) and show the device in a map.
    >
    > I'm using the free Google Maps API, works fine but it's illegal for that
    > porpoise (I need sell that software). So, I need buy the Premier edition
    > (costs around 15k dollars / year) or get another way to make that work.
    > The mosts of people use Google Maps or some web API like that (usually
    > bill for access), but all that "API's" are expensive because my software
    > won't give so much money.

    NASA has made free digital global maps available and there is at least
    one other source too. I use two Open Source flight navigation programs
    that display terrain and topographic maps based on these data sources but
    I don't know where to get the mapping data from.

    I suggest you ask the projects about the sources:

    XCSoar - http://www.xcsoar.org/
    LK8000 - http://www.bware.it/LK8000

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie