grabbing a facebook group

John Bokma

Tad McClellan said:
Yeah.

A place that exposes poseurs makes the poseurs want to leave.

That is the good kind of "problem"!

This attidude also pisses of other people as well. I don't know if you
have noticed it, but it's getting awfully quiet in here. I've been out
of this group because of this reason, the attidude of /you/ and some
others. Keep it going, and I am out again, and soon enough it will be
very quiet in here...

Ted Zlatanov

JB> This attidude also pisses of other people as well. I don't know if you
JB> have noticed it, but it's getting awfully quiet in here. I've been out
JB> of this group because of this reason, the attidude of /you/ and some
JB> others. Keep it going, and I am out again, and soon enough it will be
JB> very quiet in here...

Seconded. Tad is having a bad week or something, but Uri has been
handing out the tough love for a while. Let's keep it civil, guys.

(Also: Death of Usenet, tune in at 11!)

Ted

John Bokma

Ted Zlatanov said:
JB> This attidude also pisses of other people as well. I don't know if you
JB> have noticed it, but it's getting awfully quiet in here. I've been out
JB> of this group because of this reason, the attidude of /you/ and some
JB> others. Keep it going, and I am out again, and soon enough it will be
JB> very quiet in here...

Seconded. Tad is having a bad week or something, but Uri has been
handing out the tough love for a while. Let's keep it civil, guys.

Thanks Ted ;-)
(Also: Death of Usenet, tune in at 11!)

Heh, I have been saying that too, like: there are still more people on
Usenet compared to the early 90's. However, I was quite shocked, to be
honest, to see how little has been posted here the past days.

Mart van de Wege

Ted Zlatanov said:
JB> This attidude also pisses of other people as well. I don't know if you
JB> have noticed it, but it's getting awfully quiet in here. I've been out
JB> of this group because of this reason, the attidude of /you/ and some
JB> others. Keep it going, and I am out again, and soon enough it will be
JB> very quiet in here...

Seconded. Tad is having a bad week or something, but Uri has been
handing out the tough love for a while. Let's keep it civil, guys.

Bullshit.

Uno has had an explanation in friendly words that he totally
disregarded, and he started acting like a whiny bitch when called upon
it.

You can go all righteous about the people who finally lost their
patience, but I suggest you point your anger at the one that *made* them
lose their patience.

Sometimes someone is just plain *wrong*. Pussyfooting about will not
help, and if they persist in being wrong despite being told, they
deserve whatever they get.

And that's the last thing I'll say about this.

Mart

John Bokma

Mart van de Wege said:
Uno has had an explanation in friendly words that he totally
disregarded, and he started acting like a whiny bitch when called upon
it.

Then ignore Uno. One doesn't have to post. If Uno is a whiny bitch
there's no need to point it out. Uno is most likely aware of it, and why
waste time on stating the obvious. Oh, wait, it's a cheap and easy way
to score with some of the regulars here...

In the mean time there are hardly any on-topic serious posts here...

Peter J. Holzer

John Bokma said:
Then ignore Uno. One doesn't have to post. If Uno is a whiny bitch
there's no need to point it out.
[...]
If you don't like Tad's posts,

Then ignore Tad. One doesn't have to post. If Tad responds in-kind
to whiny bitches there's no need to point it out.
[...]

The difference is that I lose nothing if I put Uno in my killfile, but I
like to read your and Uri's postings - when they are about Perl. But all
too frequently your postings are not about Perl, but about the personal
shortcomings of some other poster. I urge you as respected regulars of
this group to set a good example and keep the last two points of the
Posting Guidelines (regularly posted by a certain Mr. McClellan - you
may know him) in mind:

| Count to ten before composing a followup when you are upset
| This is recommended in all Usenet newsgroups. Here in clpmisc, most
| flaming sub-threads are not about any feature of Perl at all! They
| are most often for what was seen as a breach of netiquette. If you
| have lurked for a bit, then you will know what is expected and won't
| make such posts in the first place.
|
| But if you get upset, wait a while before writing your followup. I
| recommend waiting at least 30 minutes.
|
| Count to ten after composing and before posting when you are upset
| After you have written your followup, wait *another* 30 minutes
| before committing yourself by posting it. You cannot take it back
| once it has been said.

hp

John Bokma

Peter J. Holzer said:
John Bokma said:
Then ignore Uno. One doesn't have to post. If Uno is a whiny bitch
there's no need to point it out.
[...]
If you don't like Tad's posts,

Then ignore Tad. One doesn't have to post. If Tad responds in-kind
to whiny bitches there's no need to point it out.
[...]

The difference is that I lose nothing if I put Uno in my killfile, but I
like to read your and Uri's postings - when they are about Perl. But all
too frequently your postings are not about Perl, but about the personal
shortcomings of some other poster. I urge you as respected regulars of
this group to set a good example and keep the last two points of the
Posting Guidelines (regularly posted by a certain Mr. McClellan - you
may know him) in mind:

Amen.

While I understand one can get frustrated with some "newbies" there is
no need to vent those frustrations in a public forum especially since it
has /zero effect/; tomorrow a new newbie will piss you off again.

John Bokma

Sherm Pendley said:
Perl is just as useful as it's always been, but the "buzz factor" that
made it the Hot Thing To Learn (tm) in the 90s is long gone - and the
trend-following crowd is gone with it. That decline has little (if any-
thing) to do with supposed "hostility" of the regulars in this group.

The hostility (I see already 2 others agreeing with me) has made me
leave comp.lang.perl.misc several times. And I am sure I am not alone.

Yes, I agree that Perl is less popular than in the 90's. But I am
/convinced/ that some people have left this group /because/ of the
virtual dick swinging of some regulars here.

Ted Zlatanov

MvdW> Uno has had an explanation in friendly words that he totally
MvdW> disregarded, and he started acting like a whiny bitch when called
MvdW> upon it.

We don't have to drop down to Uno's level.

MvdW> You can go all righteous about the people who finally lost their
MvdW> patience, but I suggest you point your anger at the one that
MvdW> *made* them lose their patience.

I'm not angry or righteous. You're superimposing words and emotions on
my original "let's be civil" message. The message is quoted above.

TM> Imply that I an on drugs again, and I will be uncivil again.

Don't let 'em get to you, is all I'm saying. The world is full of,
well, Unos.

Ted

Ted Zlatanov

JB> I am /convinced/ that some people have left this group /because/ of
JB> the virtual dick swinging of some regulars here.

I want NAMES, John, NAMES! We must bring every last one of them back!

(obConfuciusSays: Man walking sideways in airport going to Bangkok.)

Ted

John Bokma

Ted Zlatanov said:
JB> I am /convinced/ that some people have left this group /because/ of
JB> the virtual dick swinging of some regulars here.

I want NAMES, John, NAMES! We must bring every last one of them back!

Well, I am back, sort of.

Uno

Bullshit.

Uno has had an explanation in friendly words that he totally
disregarded, and he started acting like a whiny bitch when called upon
it.

You can go all righteous about the people who finally lost their
patience, but I suggest you point your anger at the one that *made* them
lose their patience.

Sometimes someone is just plain *wrong*. Pussyfooting about will not
help, and if they persist in being wrong despite being told, they
deserve whatever they get.

And that's the last thing I'll say about this.

Mart

That's a rather harsh criticism, Mart. Nobody in my real life talks to
me like this. It rather looks like a practice essay in english to me.

What would you say in english to me, if we were face to chest?

John Bokma

Uno said:
What would you say in english to me, if we were face to chest?

How about "**** off, and die already?" [1]

[1] Yes, I am /that/ friendly IRL. On Usenet I kf you.

J. Gleixner

--

Who are you and what the h*** are you doing??? Would you mind taking
your face off of my chest?

Ahhh.. Hello.. My eyes are up here.

T'anks for keepin' me chest warm. Me bum could use a li'le warmin' too.

:)

Charlton Wilbur

U> That's a rather harsh criticism, Mart. Nobody in my real life
U> talks to me like this.

And, that, perhaps, is the bulk of the problem.

It is a harsh criticism, but completely accurate. It is up to you
whether you see fit to do anything to remedy it.

Charlton