grabbing highlighted/selected text

brad

I am wondering if it is at all possible to create a button that--when
clicked--grabs a paragraph of text that a user has highlighted. So you
go to this website, then highlight a section of text. Once you have
the text selected with you mouse, you then click the button. The
button executes a function which acquires the selected text in a
string. Is this hypothetical situation possible? Thank you for the
time it took to read this post.