Grammar question: Englisn and Python: qualified names

Chris Angelico

Quirky question time!

When you read out a qualified name, eg collections.OrderedDict, do you
read the qualifier ("collections dot ordered dict"), or do you elide
it ("ordered dict")? I ask because it makes a difference to talking
about just one of them:

.... or possibly a collections.OrderedDict...
.... or possibly an collections.OrderedDict...

Written, the latter looks completely wrong; but if the name is read in
its short form, with the "collections" part being implicit, then "an"
is clearly correct! What do you think, experts and others?

ChrisA

Stefan Schwarzer

Hi Chris,

Quirky question time!

When you read out a qualified name, eg collections.OrderedDict, do you
read the qualifier ("collections dot ordered dict"), or do you elide
it ("ordered dict")? I ask because it makes a difference to talking
about just one of them:

... or possibly a collections.OrderedDict...
... or possibly an collections.OrderedDict...

Written, the latter looks completely wrong; but if the name is read in
its short form, with the "collections" part being implicit, then "an"
is clearly correct! What do you think, experts and others?

I think if you _write_ "collections.OrderedDict", the
article you _write_ in front should match this. The phrase
"an collections.OrderedDict" looks odd to me, and if I read
it somewhere, it wouldn't cross my mind that the writer used
"an collections.OrderedDict" with the idea not to pronounce
"collections". ;-) In my opinion, this is too subtle.

On the other hand, when you _speak_ about the ordered dict,
use the article matching what you actually say.

Best regards,
Stefan