    improvement.
    Thanks,-
    - Jeff
    javawizard, Jan 17, 2009

  2. javawizard

    asdf Guest

    "javawizard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Folks,
    > I have considerably changed the Grand Unified Problem Solver at
    > www.grandsolver.com - let me know whether you have any ideas for
    > improvement.
    > Thanks,-
    > - Jeff

    IMHO.... (And please don't take any of this too harshly!)

    First off... ditch the frameset. It's not really providing you with anything
    that you haven't already achieved at: http://www.odd-info.com/grand/, and is
    just extra, unnecessary complication in my view.

    I'd use the above page as your home page.

    ....and for the love of your chosen deity(!), ditch Frontpage as your
    editor... blurrgh, or at least remove the evidence from the source markup
    :))

    Next off, give your pages a doctype so you can check the validity of your
    markup, then fix the errors you find reported at:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.odd-info.com/grand/
    (you can find out about doctypes from there too). Once that's fixed up, you
    should give some thought to accessibility concerns (which I haven't done a
    thorough analysis of).

    You've hard coded all the styles, colors etc used. You might like to give
    some thought in seperating out style from content by converting those
    styling bits into CSS, and storing those as seperate files (Read up about
    Cascading Styling Sheets). This might help with some of the accessibility
    issues too.

    Next up... you've made some headings. This is good and helps to provide
    visual and semantic cognitive navigation aids for the user. BUT... you
    should use heading HTML elements to identify these rather than <p> tags with
    styling. Time to read up about semantic markup!

    ....and as a styling point (and this is just my opinion, so no correspondence
    please!), centered text, including headings, are kinda clunky and
    old-fashioned.

    Another style point... I find the background image too complex and
    distracting from the main body of information presented on each page, and
    it's a little dark and gloomy for my taste.

    I think there's plenty of work just in these few comments, so I'll leave it
    there.

    Nice idea for a site, BTW.

    If you want to take this discussion of the NG, and would like some
    professional help, please let me know via the NGs, and I'll email you
    direct.

    Good luck!
    asdf, Jan 17, 2009

  3. On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:00:37 -0800 (PST), javawizard
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    > I have considerably changed the Grand Unified Problem Solver at
    >www.grandsolver.com - let me know whether you have any ideas for
    >improvement.
    >Thanks,-
    >- Jeff