grant asp.net write access but still won't work

frekster

All.

I have a folder/files that I have added asp.net to have read/write/etc.
privlidges via the properties of the folder/files and security tab.
However, when I run my asp.net page, I still get that access is denied.

the path is c:\inetpub\app\bin\folder

the "folder has a ton of files in it and every file in the folder must
be able to be opened and binary read by the asp.net worker process.

I tried setting read/write privlidges on the folder for asp.net and it
wouldn't work. Still got access denied. Then tried adding asp.net to a
few of the files and giving read/write and tried binary reading them
via my asp.net application and still no luck.

What must I do to allow all the files in this folder to be opened for
binary read and also to let asp.net write a binary file to the folder?

I'm no newbie at doing the simple task of granting asp.net write/read
access to files and folders via the properties/security tab under xp
pro iis5 which is what I am running along with .net 1.1. I do not need
instructions on how to do that since I have it covered. I do this often
enough at my job so am confused as to why this isn't working.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Justin

Guest

Hi Frekster,

Are you using impersonation? If yes, then grant that user write access to
the folders.

frekster

Hi.

Thank you for the post. I do not have ipersonate setup at all in
web.config. No identity impersonate settings are in the web.config file.
I've granted read/write to asp.net to the sounds folder and to the
capital.wav file mentioned in this error when I try to read the file via
my asp.net web application:

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the
path "f:\inetpub\wwwroot\imageverification\bin\sounds\capital.wav" is
denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has
a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network
Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating.
If the
application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the
identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the
authenticated
request user.

Any how, I am not using impersonate. This has me confused. Do you have
any other ideas/things I can try?

Regards,
Justin

frekster

Hi again.

Ok, I have this working now. I had read/write set on the folder and on
one file I had read and not write for the asp.net machine account. When
I set read and write for the file that I *only* needed to read to
asp.net machine account, it would open the file and read it.

My question is this... I have about 50 files in this folder that I need
asp.net to read in binary file access. Do I have to set read/write to
each individual file for the asp.net machine account or is there a way
to globally set read/write to all the files in a single folder for the
asp.net machine account?

I have the parent folder properties set to allow the asp.net machine
account to read, write, list folder contents, etc.

Is there a way to inherit this to all files in the folder so I don't
need to set read/write for the asp.net machine account on each file?

BTW it would be nice if Microsoft would come out with a utility to let
you see what permissions are set on a folder for all three security
models: you are dealing with asp.net permissions, iis permissions, and
ntfs permissions. That is a lot of different permissions and
documentation on the threee are not exactly, well, good?

Regards,
Justin