    create graphs (2D) based on these data?

    opinions and suggestion are most highly welcome. thanks.

    jr
    Jan Rienyer Gadil, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Jan Rienyer Gadil

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Jan Rienyer Gadil wrote:
    > could anyone please help me!
    >
    > what and how is the best implementation of creating a table based on

    What is a "table", to you? It could mean anything from
    something you intend to print, to a GUI-based representation
    similar to a spreadsheet, to a simple two-dimensional array
    of data in memory.

    > data coming from the serial port ? and also how would i be able to
    > create graphs (2D) based on these data?

    Platform? GUI framework, if you've chosen one? etc. etc.

    I might suggest using wxPython, with a wx.Grid and wxPyPlot,
    but given how little useful information you've provided,
    that could well be far from suitable.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Jan 21, 2005

  3. "Jan Rienyer Gadil" <> wrote in message
    > could anyone please help me!
    >
    > what and how is the best implementation of creating a table based on
    > data coming from the serial port ? and also how would i be able to
    > create graphs (2D) based on these data?
    >
    > opinions and suggestion are most highly welcome. thanks.

    If you want to use existing tools, it is hard to beat a spreadsheet with a
    scatter plot graph object.
    If you are on the Microsoft side of the fence, Excel is perfect for this.
    There is an easy to use MSCOMM32.OCX object to control the serial port.
    This reduces your problem to moving the serial port data to an [x,y] column
    that is attached to a scatter plot.

    This is easy to do with Excel's built in VBA so I assume it would also be
    easy to do with Python, given that you can use Python to manipulate the
    Excel object model .

    On the Linux/Unix side. Gnumeric seems to serve very well although I don't
    yet have sufficient personal experience with it to know about the "gotcha's"
    you might encounter. I am also guessing that the Open Office spreadsheet
    would work too.

    Thomas Bartkus
    Thomas Bartkus, Jan 21, 2005