    in 3d format

    regards
    amey
    ameyas, Jan 22, 2007

  2. ameyas wrote:
    > support for rendering graphs in web application
    > more preferable if its kind of interactive, scalable, zoom ,pan
    > (however not must though)

    For this ability, it would require an 'active' part
    on the side of the end user.

    This could be provided by something like a
    Java applet or web started application, or
    Flash, or for some of that, using JavaScript.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 22, 2007

  3. ameyas

    ameyas Guest

    Hi Andrews,

    thanks for your response
    however i would prefer to have thin client. would not rather prefer any
    plug-ins to be installed at client side.
    ajax would be fine.
    you aware of any such graphics library?

    which other library is more popular?

    regards
    amey

    ameyas, Jan 22, 2007
  4. ameyas wrote:
    > Hi Andrews,

    Just a small point, but my name is 'Andrew',
    never 'Andrews'.

    > thanks for your response

    Your thanks is best expressed, by not
    top-posting, in future. I find it most
    confusing.

    The better way is to 'break in' wherever
    you need to make a point. Like I am
    doing.

    > however i would prefer to have thin client.

    That is a very safe choice, to allow the
    widest range of visitors to use the site.
    There are a number of places I access
    the net, that either block *all* those things
    I was talking about, or support some, but
    not others.

    But that brings me to..

    >...would not rather prefer any
    > plug-ins to be installed at client side.
    > ajax would be fine.

    AJAX (or is it Ajax/ajax?) is an interesting
    one. It relies directly on JavaScript, for
    its functionality.

    Even though JS is not a plug-in, since it
    comes with the browser, does not mean
    it is *enabled*.

    It is particularly easy, in Mozilla based
    browsers, to disable support for JS, and
    while difficult, it is also possible to disable
    JS in IE.

    Do not make the mistake of assuming that
    everyone will be able to visit a site that relies
    on JS.

    > you aware of any such graphics library?
    >
    > which other library is more popular?

    The one for which you already asked
    for alternatives, is not only the only one
    I would recommend, but also the only
    one I know of!

    Why does JFreeChart not fit your needs?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 22, 2007
  5. ameyas

    ameyas Guest

    Hi Andrew,

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Just a small point, but my name is 'Andrew',
    > never 'Andrews'.

    my apologies.

    > It is particularly easy, in Mozilla based
    > browsers, to disable support for JS, and
    > while difficult, it is also possible to disable
    > JS in IE.

    i completely agree and aware of the same. however we can safely assume
    that it exists.
    OTOH with plug-ins, most probably people would not like to install
    anything on their machine.

    > Do not make the mistake of assuming that
    > everyone will be able to visit a site that relies
    > on JS.

    yes there are always options given to users such as offering basic site
    version.

    > Why does JFreeChart not fit your needs?

    im looking for some better look and feel. JFreeChart very well does the
    job of rendering the information but lacks when it comes to
    presentation. I may not be expert in it but im looking for some
    impressive UI like http://www.dotnetcharting.com/demo.aspx

    i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.
    also any feedback on Batik ?
    after lot of googling, i came across an idea which is like using
    JFreechart to write SVG file and then using Batik to generate PNG
    format.

    however this might affect the performance a little. also not sure if
    this will generate the same quality SVG graphics.

    regards
    amey
    ameyas, Jan 22, 2007
  6. ameyas

    Chris Uppal Guest

    ameyas wrote:

    > > Why does JFreeChart not fit your needs?

    > im looking for some better look and feel. JFreeChart very well does the
    > job of rendering the information but lacks when it comes to
    > presentation. I may not be expert in it but im looking for some
    > impressive UI like http://www.dotnetcharting.com/demo.aspx
    >
    > i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.

    That reminded me of ChartDirector

    http://www.advsofteng.com/cdjava.html

    I can't comment on how well it works, nor on its value-for-money -- in fact I
    have never used it at all.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jan 22, 2007
  7. ameyas

    ck Guest

    ameyas wrote:
    > i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.
    > also any feedback on Batik ?
    > after lot of googling, i came across an idea which is like using
    > JFreechart to write SVG file and then using Batik to generate PNG
    > format.

    >From JFreeChart website.

    support for many output types, including Swing components, image files
    (including PNG and JPEG), and vector graphics file formats (including
    PDF, EPS and SVG);

    Still need to use of Batik?

    > however this might affect the performance a little. also not sure if
    > this will generate the same quality SVG graphics.

    SVG is not compatible with IE, by default. You would need to install a
    plugin for that. BTW if your concern is presentation, I wonder if
    anything can beat Flash( Take a look at the options you have in Google
    Analytics, its not just restricted to graph), so how would SVG be any
    better in terms of getting rid of the plugin issue?

    One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
    how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
    render images (graph in this case) for available set of data? I
    thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
    serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
    then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
    right?

    --
    Ck
    http://www.gfour.net
    ck, Jan 22, 2007
  8. ck wrote:
    > ameyas wrote:
    > > i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.

    > One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
    > how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
    > render images (graph in this case) for available set of data?

    No. Not as far as I know, anyway.

    I was thinking more that the HTML points to a single
    (largish) chart/plot image, of which only a small part is
    visible on the page, while JS provides the ability to pan
    left/right or up/down as well as rescaling the image on
    the fly (for zoom).

    >...I
    > thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
    > serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
    > then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
    > right?

    To produce the initial image, yes. But at least the client
    does not need Java plug-in installed, to view the image.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 23, 2007
  9. ameyas

    ameyas Guest

    ck wrote:

    > SVG is not compatible with IE, by default. You would need to install a
    > plugin for that. BTW if your concern is presentation, I wonder if
    > anything can beat Flash( Take a look at the options you have in Google
    > Analytics, its not just restricted to graph), so how would SVG be any
    > better in terms of getting rid of the plugin issue?

    precisely, thats why i was considering using JFreeChart to generate SVG
    file and then using Batik to rasterize the image from this SVG to PNG
    format and then send it to the browser. google must be isomg flex (im
    not sure but flex being the next flash thing). this again requires
    plug-in on browser.

    > One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
    > how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
    > render images (graph in this case) for available set of data? I
    > thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
    > serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
    > then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
    > right?

    yes you r right.

    amey
    ameyas, Jan 23, 2007
  10. ameyas

    ameyas Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > ck wrote:
    > > One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
    > > how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
    > > render images (graph in this case) for available set of data?

    > No. Not as far as I know, anyway.

    well as of now there is library to generate grpahs , charts.
    but have a look at this
    http://www.walterzorn.com/jsgraphics/jsgraphics_e.htm
    this enables you to draw 2D graphics using js.
    with this library soon we can expect full fledged charting library just
    like JFreechart
    so you can either wait till it comes or can develop your own ;)

    what say

    regards
    amey
    ameyas, Jan 23, 2007
  11. ameyas

    ameyas Guest

    btw i wanted to know if we can customize the following things in
    JFreechart
    * lightsource ?
    * transparency ?
    * multiple axis such as X , Y ,Z axis ?