graph / charting library for jsp servlets

ameyas

hi all,

which is most popular (,better) charting / graphics library apart from
jfreechart
it should provide
support for rendering graphs in web application
more preferable if its kind of interactive, scalable, zoom ,pan
(however not must though)
should provide for representation across multiple products (categories)
in 3d format

regards
amey

Andrew Thompson

ameyas wrote:
support for rendering graphs in web application
more preferable if its kind of interactive, scalable, zoom ,pan
(however not must though)

For this ability, it would require an 'active' part
on the side of the end user.

This could be provided by something like a
Java applet or web started application, or
Flash, or for some of that, using JavaScript.

Andrew T.

ameyas

Hi Andrews,

thanks for your response
however i would prefer to have thin client. would not rather prefer any
plug-ins to be installed at client side.
ajax would be fine.
you aware of any such graphics library?

which other library is more popular?

regards
amey

Andrew Thompson

ameyas said:
Hi Andrews,

Just a small point, but my name is 'Andrew',
never 'Andrews'.
thanks for your response

Your thanks is best expressed, by not
top-posting, in future. I find it most
confusing.

The better way is to 'break in' wherever
you need to make a point. Like I am
doing.
however i would prefer to have thin client.

That is a very safe choice, to allow the
widest range of visitors to use the site.
There are a number of places I access
the net, that either block *all* those things
I was talking about, or support some, but
not others.

But that brings me to..
...would not rather prefer any
plug-ins to be installed at client side.
ajax would be fine.

AJAX (or is it Ajax/ajax?) is an interesting
one. It relies directly on JavaScript, for
its functionality.

Even though JS is not a plug-in, since it
comes with the browser, does not mean
it is *enabled*.

It is particularly easy, in Mozilla based
browsers, to disable support for JS, and
while difficult, it is also possible to disable
JS in IE.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that
everyone will be able to visit a site that relies
on JS.
you aware of any such graphics library?

which other library is more popular?

The one for which you already asked
for alternatives, is not only the only one
I would recommend, but also the only
one I know of!

Why does JFreeChart not fit your needs?

Andrew T.

ameyas

Hi Andrew,

Andrew said:
Just a small point, but my name is 'Andrew',
never 'Andrews'.

my apologies.

It is particularly easy, in Mozilla based
browsers, to disable support for JS, and
while difficult, it is also possible to disable
JS in IE.

i completely agree and aware of the same. however we can safely assume
that it exists.
OTOH with plug-ins, most probably people would not like to install
anything on their machine.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that
everyone will be able to visit a site that relies
on JS.

yes there are always options given to users such as offering basic site
version.
Why does JFreeChart not fit your needs?

im looking for some better look and feel. JFreeChart very well does the
job of rendering the information but lacks when it comes to
presentation. I may not be expert in it but im looking for some
impressive UI like http://www.dotnetcharting.com/demo.aspx

i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.
also any feedback on Batik ?
after lot of googling, i came across an idea which is like using
JFreechart to write SVG file and then using Batik to generate PNG
format.

however this might affect the performance a little. also not sure if
this will generate the same quality SVG graphics.

regards
amey

Chris Uppal

ameyas wrote:

im looking for some better look and feel. JFreeChart very well does the
job of rendering the information but lacks when it comes to
presentation. I may not be expert in it but im looking for some
impressive UI like http://www.dotnetcharting.com/demo.aspx

i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.

That reminded me of ChartDirector

http://www.advsofteng.com/cdjava.html

I can't comment on how well it works, nor on its value-for-money -- in fact I
have never used it at all.

-- chris

ck

ameyas said:
i wouldn't mind if the library is not free.
also any feedback on Batik ?
after lot of googling, i came across an idea which is like using
JFreechart to write SVG file and then using Batik to generate PNG
format.
From JFreeChart website.
support for many output types, including Swing components, image files
(including PNG and JPEG), and vector graphics file formats (including
PDF, EPS and SVG);

Still need to use of Batik?
however this might affect the performance a little. also not sure if
this will generate the same quality SVG graphics.

SVG is not compatible with IE, by default. You would need to install a
plugin for that. BTW if your concern is presentation, I wonder if
anything can beat Flash( Take a look at the options you have in Google
Analytics, its not just restricted to graph), so how would SVG be any
better in terms of getting rid of the plugin issue?

One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
render images (graph in this case) for available set of data? I
thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
right?

Andrew Thompson

ck said:
One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
render images (graph in this case) for available set of data?

No. Not as far as I know, anyway.

I was thinking more that the HTML points to a single
(largish) chart/plot image, of which only a small part is
visible on the page, while JS provides the ability to pan
left/right or up/down as well as rescaling the image on
the fly (for zoom).
...I
thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
right?

To produce the initial image, yes. But at least the client
does not need Java plug-in installed, to view the image.

Andrew T.

ameyas

ck said:
SVG is not compatible with IE, by default. You would need to install a
plugin for that. BTW if your concern is presentation, I wonder if
anything can beat Flash( Take a look at the options you have in Google
Analytics, its not just restricted to graph), so how would SVG be any
better in terms of getting rid of the plugin issue?

precisely, thats why i was considering using JFreeChart to generate SVG
file and then using Batik to rasterize the image from this SVG to PNG
format and then send it to the browser. google must be isomg flex (im
not sure but flex being the next flash thing). this again requires
plug-in on browser.
One thing that I would like to ask here is that, if I am using AJAX,
how is the Graph going to be rendered? Does Ajax has the ability to
render images (graph in this case) for available set of data? I
thought, one would have to create image on the fly on the server and
serve it back to the presentation layer using AJAX. If thats the case,
then we would have to fall back to JFreeChart or some other API, am I
right?

yes you r right.

amey

ameyas

btw i wanted to know if we can customize the following things in
JFreechart
* lightsource ?
* transparency ?
* multiple axis such as X , Y ,Z axis ?