Graphic design question

Mark B

How do sites like Microsoft.com have a nice rectangle border around the
homepage with a mirror shadow at the bottom, and a nice gradient/image in
the background? Is there some 'trick' they are using (e.g a little image of
a rounded corner? Using a table?

Hillbilly

Can you keep a secret? Microsoft employees used Google to find websites to
help them learn HTML and CSS.

Guest

How do sites like Microsoft.com have a nice rectangle border around the
homepage with a mirror shadow at the bottom, and a nice gradient/image in
the background? Is there some 'trick' they are using (e.g a little image of
a rounded corner? Using a table?

for the border use css with border attribute, for example,

{border: 1px solid red}

for the "shadow" use background image

{background-image:url('bg.gif')}

Guest

Can you keep a secret? Microsoft employees used Google to find websites to
help them learn HTML and CSS.

Are you the one of them you or you made up the story?

Mark B

Thanks. I have been able to get the border OK but I haven't had success at
the background image:

Where do I put: background-image:url('images/background_01.png
!important;')?

in the Body tag?

I have tried but it hasn't come up. It does show in design view in VWD
inside the table:

.style1
{
width: 950px;
border: 1px solid black;
background-image:url('images/background_01.png') !important
}
.style2
{
width: 100%;
}
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server" >

[...]

remove bgcolor="White" from the table definition.

Mark B

Still no change.

And I want the area outside the table to have the background image, not the
table itself.

Guest

Still no change.

And I want the area outside the table to have the background image, not the
table itself.

Mark,

when you assigned style1 to the <table>, you will apply it to the
table. To change the style of the entire page you should apply it to
the <body> tag (<body style="style1">), or use the background property
in CSS.

body
{
background-image:url('images/background_01.png')
}

Note, that 'images/background_01.png' is relative and when your page
located at /pages/default.aspx the image must be in /pages/images/
background_01.png. Otherwise just use '/images/
background_01.png' (with a / in front of the url) to access /images/
background_01.png from any subfolder.

More about background-image

Mark B

Apologies if I am being pesky to you but I still haven't been able to get it
to display. Maybe because it's a master page? I tried <body style="style3">
but it underlines it and says 'style3' is not a known CSS property name.
Here's the masterpage code:

<%@ Master Language="VB" CodeFile="MasterPage.master.vb"
Inherits="pages_master_page_MasterPage" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>My Title</title>
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="head" runat="server">
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
.style1
{
width: 950px;
border: 1px solid black;
background-image:url('/images/background_01.png') !important
}
.style2
{
width: 100%;
}
.style3
{
background-image: url('/images/background_01.png');
}
</head>

<form id="form1" runat="server" >

etc

[...]

Bob Powell [MVP]

This newsgroup is specifically for GDI+ questions. You'd be better off
asking in a web-centric forum.

--
Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Ramuseco Limited .NET consulting
http://www.ramuseco.com

Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks
http://www.bobpowell.net/tipstricks.htm

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/faqmain.htm

All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.

Guest

[...]

More about background-imagehttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms530717.aspx

Hi Mark,

your code looks good. I copied it to a test project and I see two
different background images - for body and table. I think that there
is something in the content page that blocked the background. Try to
fix this step by step. Remove all styles from <style></style>. Get rid
of all class references body class=..., <table class="style1,
style2.... Delete bgcolor="White" from the table definition.

Make sure you have an image in http://site/images/background_01.png

Then add

body
{
background-image:url('images/background_01.png')
}

You should see the image in background.

Hope this helps

Mark B

Thanks.

Turned out in the end it was the path that needed to be fixed:

background-image: url('../../pages/master_page/images/background_01.png');

[...]

OK. I'll keep that in mind next time.

So you'd say microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet is the most
appropriate?

Guest

Thanks.

Turned out in the end it was the path that needed to be fixed:

background-image: url('../../pages/master_page/images/background_01.png');

Great, that's what I told you from the beginnig.

Note that starting from IIS6 (Windows 2003), usage of ".." to refer to
a parent directory is disabled by default. To change this you need to
configure IIS.