Graphical interfaces on complex XML documents

Discussion in 'XML' started by Marc te Vruchte, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Over the past years i've been in contact with the same problem a
    number of times, creating a graphical user interface on complex XML
    documents. Personally these solutions have never been satisfactory to
    me as a developer. I am not sure if this is caused by the way i've
    approached the problem or that it is the maturity of current day XML
    technologies.

    Let's say we are developing Form interfaces on complex XML documents
    which have a repetitive and selection (choice) based structure. Users
    have to be presented with a userfriendly interface so they are able to
    manipulate the data that is present in the documents.

    While defining a solution for the problem things dont appear too
    complex. All needed technologies seem at hand and are standardized.
    XML document are used for data encapsulation, XPath for data querying,
    XSD's for validation and XSLT for generating the interface. However if
    we get to the development phase things become more complex.

    The designers in the project are given the task to create an interface
    on the document. They are handed a representation of the XSD's, for
    example a XSD Design printout of XMLSPY, and additional
    field/structure specific information. Defining an interface on the
    hierarchical and repetitive data is daunting task, especially if there
    is high cohesion (which probably always is the case) in the hierarchy.

    Once the designers are finished, it's up to the developers to
    transform their idea's into HTML forms. They will be using XSLT for
    generating these. If the data was non-repeating development of the
    interface wouldn't be that complex, but once there is a degree of
    repeating and choice based nodesets the situation gets difficult.

    The repeititve data could be implemented using DHTML or perhaps popup
    windows. For showing/hiding the choice based nodes however we would
    probably be required to use DHTML. This will quickly result into an
    uncontrollable collection of templates and XPath queries.

    When using large documents the length of the Form will be enenormous.
    To give the users a better way on handling these documents we'll have
    to cut the main XML Document up into smaller fragments. The XML
    hierarchy limits us in our choice of interface, child nodes simply
    cant exist where no parent has been defined yet. Because of that users
    wont be able to manipulate content as they have become used to in
    current day interfaces. Recombining the fragments will be quite
    complex too and will in most cases have to be performed clientside.

    Recently we've been starting to see the appearance of ActiveX
    components that allow us to "draw" user interfaces on XML documents.
    These components promise to solve choice and repetition problems, but
    in reality this is not as bright as it seems. A big disadvantage of
    these components is that we become dependent on a commercial third
    party, which just doesnt feel right for an open standard as XML.

    It appears as if we are missing specific technology that will help us
    to define userfriendly interfaces on XML documents. Currently the
    tools we've been handed seem too lowlevel to decrease development time
    and to improve program maintenance and flexibility. Converting dynamic
    XML data into a static format as HTML just doesnt feel like a fitting
    solution. Perhaps we're in the need of a web browser like application
    that provides a standard way for manipulating XML data.

    I wonder if there are people who managed to get past these problems
    and as a result are able to easily and quickly define userfriendly
    interfaces on their XML data.

    Here ends the rambling of bitter developer ;)

    Marc...

    Marc te Vruchte, Jul 2, 2003