Graphics engine IP

Martin Rubæk Petersen

Hello,

I'm looking for a graphis engine IP to use for OSD and teletext rendering in
full HD resolution (1080p).

Do any of you know of any IPs out there ?

Regards

Martin

Derek Simmons

It depends what you mean by graphics. If you are looking for a video
core then there is one at the opencores website. You should be able to
adjust the timing parameters for 1080p screen. If you need help to get
started, the www.vesa.org in the www.vesa.org/Public/GTF and
www.vesa.org/Public/CVT directories are Excel spreadsheets for
calculating timing parameters. The CVT spreadsheet is for the current
standard and the GTF is for an older standard. I like the GTF one
because it calculates timing parameters based on the pixel clock. Then
I can get closer to the excepted standard by plugging the sync rates
into the CVT spreadsheet to come up with settings that are acceptable
to major manufacturers displays. The core you'll find at opencores is
pretty robust it has cursor support. The path to it is
www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/vga_lcd

You also might want to put an I2C core on your shopping list. At least
for computer monitors it's the serial interface to find out from the
monitor what resolutions it supports. You can find documents that
describe the device and protocol in the 'www.vesa.org/Public/EDID
EXTENSIONS' directory.

The text portion you will probably have to write yourself. The design
questions that you are faced there are:

Do you want to use bitmap fonts or vector? Bitmap fonts are the easiest
to implement but vector, with the right algorithm, should look nicer.

Do you want a processor to draw the fonts or do you want to use a core
to do it? Using a softcore processor be easiest, especially if it is
the first time doing something like this. In a later design cycle you
could implement it as a core. I might be restating the obvious but come
up with a font rendering algorithm that doesn't use floating point
numbers but integer and fixed point numbers and it will make the
transition from software to hardware easier.

Should give you something to get you started and to start think about
the other...

Derek