    Do any of you know of any IPs out there ?

    Regards

    Martin

    Martin Rubæk Petersen, Dec 7, 2006

  2. It depends what you mean by graphics. If you are looking for a video
    core then there is one at the opencores website. You should be able to
    adjust the timing parameters for 1080p screen. If you need help to get
    started, the www.vesa.org in the www.vesa.org/Public/GTF and
    www.vesa.org/Public/CVT directories are Excel spreadsheets for
    calculating timing parameters. The CVT spreadsheet is for the current
    standard and the GTF is for an older standard. I like the GTF one
    because it calculates timing parameters based on the pixel clock. Then
    I can get closer to the excepted standard by plugging the sync rates
    into the CVT spreadsheet to come up with settings that are acceptable
    to major manufacturers displays. The core you'll find at opencores is
    pretty robust it has cursor support. The path to it is
    www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/vga_lcd

    You also might want to put an I2C core on your shopping list. At least
    for computer monitors it's the serial interface to find out from the
    monitor what resolutions it supports. You can find documents that
    describe the device and protocol in the 'www.vesa.org/Public/EDID
    EXTENSIONS' directory.

    The text portion you will probably have to write yourself. The design
    questions that you are faced there are:

    Do you want to use bitmap fonts or vector? Bitmap fonts are the easiest
    to implement but vector, with the right algorithm, should look nicer.

    Do you want a processor to draw the fonts or do you want to use a core
    to do it? Using a softcore processor be easiest, especially if it is
    the first time doing something like this. In a later design cycle you
    could implement it as a core. I might be restating the obvious but come
    up with a font rendering algorithm that doesn't use floating point
    numbers but integer and fixed point numbers and it will make the
    transition from software to hardware easier.

    Should give you something to get you started and to start think about
    the other...

    Derek

    Derek Simmons, Dec 11, 2006