Graphics package for visualizing graphs

Tassilo Horn

Hi,

I'd like to write a simple graph visualization program. Because the
graphs I want to visualize are much too big to visualize them at once, I
think I'll do something like

- draw the current node centered
- draw neighbors in a circular layout around it
- draw the edges leading to the neighboring nodes
- on click on a neighbor, make that one the current node

I didn't do much graphical stuff till now, so I'd like to hear if there
are good free libraries which make the task easier than using plain
awt/swing capabilities. It wouldn't be too bad it would look fancy,
too. ;-)

I had a look at the AWT/Swing docs and it seems that there I would use a
Rectangle for the nodes. But I need to put some text of variable size
in them, I need to figure out the text's width and height to resize the
Rectangle appropriately. Currently I don't see how to do that...

Bye,
Tassilo

cbossens73

- draw the current node centered
- draw neighbors in a circular layout around it

I don't know all the visualization taxonomy but you
probably want to start by Googling on something like
"Java circular visualization" or "Java radial visualization".

You'll end on pages like this one:

(Visualization of large tree structures, look at the
sunburst tree or sunray tree)

http://www.randelshofer.ch/treeviz/index.html

or this one:

http://www.abhishek-tiwari.com/2009/02/circularradial-visualizations-in_10.html

Hope it helps,

Charles

Joshua Cranmer

Tassilo said:
I'd like to write a simple graph visualization program. Because the
graphs I want to visualize are much too big to visualize them at once, I
think I'll do something like

- draw the current node centered
- draw neighbors in a circular layout around it
- draw the edges leading to the neighboring nodes
- on click on a neighbor, make that one the current node

<http://www.research.att.com/~john/Grappa/> (based off of Graphviz) ?

Tassilo Horn

Hi Joshua,

This seems to go into another direction, e.g. building something like
graphviz for java including some graph editing functionality. I have
the graph data structure + a large set of graphs and just want a way to
display them interactively and incrementally.

I already have a DOT/GraphViz exporter, but the graphs are much too big
for graphviz to handle.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer!
Tassilo

Tassilo Horn

Steve W. Jackson said:
You've gotten other suggestions, and I'll add
<http://www.jgraph.com/>.

At a first glance those libs seem to be more about displaying and
editing graphs as a whole, not about incremental display of huge graphs
with millions of vertices.

But thanks for another pointer!
Tassilo