Graphics package for visualizing graphs

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tassilo Horn, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. Tassilo Horn

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    Hi,

    I'd like to write a simple graph visualization program. Because the
    graphs I want to visualize are much too big to visualize them at once, I
    think I'll do something like

    - draw the current node centered
    - draw neighbors in a circular layout around it
    - draw the edges leading to the neighboring nodes
    - on click on a neighbor, make that one the current node

    I didn't do much graphical stuff till now, so I'd like to hear if there
    are good free libraries which make the task easier than using plain
    awt/swing capabilities. It wouldn't be too bad it would look fancy,
    too. ;-)

    I had a look at the AWT/Swing docs and it seems that there I would use a
    Rectangle for the nodes. But I need to put some text of variable size
    in them, I need to figure out the text's width and height to resize the
    Rectangle appropriately. Currently I don't see how to do that...

    Bye,
    Tassilo

    Tassilo Horn, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Tassilo Horn

    Guest

    On Apr 9, 8:27 am, Tassilo Horn <> wrote:
    > - draw the current node centered
    > - draw neighbors in a circular layout around it

    I don't know all the visualization taxonomy but you
    probably want to start by Googling on something like
    "Java circular visualization" or "Java radial visualization".

    You'll end on pages like this one:

    (Visualization of large tree structures, look at the
    sunburst tree or sunray tree)

    http://www.randelshofer.ch/treeviz/index.html

    or this one:

    http://www.abhishek-tiwari.com/2009/02/circularradial-visualizations-in_10.html

    Hope it helps,

    Charles

    , Apr 9, 2009

  3. Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > I'd like to write a simple graph visualization program. Because the
    > graphs I want to visualize are much too big to visualize them at once, I
    > think I'll do something like
    >
    > - draw the current node centered
    > - draw neighbors in a circular layout around it
    > - draw the edges leading to the neighboring nodes
    > - on click on a neighbor, make that one the current node

    <http://www.research.att.com/~john/Grappa/> (based off of Graphviz) ?

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 9, 2009
  4. Tassilo Horn

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    Joshua Cranmer <> writes:

    Hi Joshua,

    > Tassilo Horn wrote:
    >> I'd like to write a simple graph visualization program. Because the
    >> graphs I want to visualize are much too big to visualize them at once, I
    >> think I'll do something like
    >>
    >> - draw the current node centered
    >> - draw neighbors in a circular layout around it
    >> - draw the edges leading to the neighboring nodes
    >> - on click on a neighbor, make that one the current node

    > <http://www.research.att.com/~john/Grappa/> (based off of Graphviz) ?

    This seems to go into another direction, e.g. building something like
    graphviz for java including some graph editing functionality. I have
    the graph data structure + a large set of graphs and just want a way to
    display them interactively and incrementally.

    I already have a DOT/GraphViz exporter, but the graphs are much too big
    for graphviz to handle.

    Anyway, thanks for the pointer!
    Tassilo
    --
    People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic
    things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they

    Tassilo Horn, Apr 9, 2009
  5. Tassilo Horn

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    writes:

    Hi Charles,

    > (Visualization of large tree structures, look at the sunburst tree or
    > sunray tree)
    >
    > http://www.randelshofer.ch/treeviz/index.html

    Wow, the first screenshot is exactly what I want to have. ;-)

    I'll have a deeper look at it and play with the code. Thanks for being
    my google-boy. ;-)

    Bye,
    Tassilo

    Tassilo Horn, Apr 9, 2009
  6. Tassilo Horn

    Tassilo Horn Guest

    "Steve W. Jackson" <> writes:

    > You've gotten other suggestions, and I'll add
    > <http://www.jgraph.com/>.

    At a first glance those libs seem to be more about displaying and
    editing graphs as a whole, not about incremental display of huge graphs
    with millions of vertices.

    But thanks for another pointer!
    Tassilo

    Tassilo Horn, Apr 9, 2009