graphics

Ted Zlatanov

MvdW> I used SVG::TT:Graph to generate the graphs, Image::Magick to
MvdW> convert them to PNG, Template Toolkit to build LaTex files
MvdW> referring to the images, and LaTeX::Driver to render the LaTeX to
MvdW> PDF.MvdW> Works like a charm, even if the toolchain is long. LaTeX::Driver is a
MvdW> bit finicky if you don't clean up your working directory though.MvdW> Hmm. Sure thing, but it's in three fairly substantive package files. Do
MvdW> you want that posted here, or in a private mail?

MvdW> Also, I may have to anonymise our company name, which is referred to
MvdW> quite often in variables and directory/file names.

I don't know the code so I can't say how it should be packaged. You can
send it to me if you prefer but regardless you should check with your
company about any potential copyright issues, of course.

JB> some time ago I wrote this:

JB> http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2009/02/24/jpeg-to-pdf-using-perl.html

JB> to create a pdf with one JPEG per page.

That was interesting too. I am interested in the LaTeX chain because I
want that environment for the TeX capabilities, but I can use a straight
JPG->PDF converter as you posted too.

Thanks
Ted

Mart van de Wege

Ted Zlatanov said:
MvdW> I used SVG::TT:Graph to generate the graphs, Image::Magick to
MvdW> convert them to PNG, Template Toolkit to build LaTex files
MvdW> referring to the images, and LaTeX::Driver to render the LaTeX to
MvdW> PDF.
MvdW> Works like a charm, even if the toolchain is long. LaTeX::Driver is a
MvdW> bit finicky if you don't clean up your working directory though.
MvdW> Hmm. Sure thing, but it's in three fairly substantive package files. Do
MvdW> you want that posted here, or in a private mail?

MvdW> Also, I may have to anonymise our company name, which is referred to
MvdW> quite often in variables and directory/file names.

I don't know the code so I can't say how it should be packaged. You can
send it to me if you prefer but regardless you should check with your
company about any potential copyright issues, of course.

Hmm.

If it's for study purposes, I don't think my boss would mind. The code
is fairly tied to our specific environment, and AFAIK you're not working
for a competitor, so that's just fine.

So I'll just do a search and replace on the identifying bits. The code
is fairly straightforward, and seeing as that you probably have some
more experience in Perl than I have, you should manage just fine. The
hardest bits to understand are the bits where I transform the query
results into SVG::TT::Graph datasets. And the template files are in
Dutch of course.

Don't expect it to run though. For that you need the underlying
database.

If I tar it up, it'll be a few 10s of kilobytes. Is that OK to mail as
an attachment? And I suppose your email address as given in your
postings is the right one?

Mart

Ilya Zakharevich

There is no clear-cut boundary between data and program.

Of course there is: decidability (this is a math term; the layman's
variant would be something like a guaranteed ability to verify).
Newer versions of Acrobat Reader won't rasterize some PDFs generated by
Acrobat 10 years ago, because some features of early PDF versions have
been removed in later versions. OTOH, I am not aware of any
backwards-compatibility issues with PostScript (which also went through
a lot less revisions, although it is older).

Given that there is not even "same-version-compatibility", so IMO it
is silly to discuss backward-compatibility. For a recent example, see

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.postscript/browse_thread/thread/238439c8b1f7df7c
LaTeX (or rather TeX) is a programming language, too.

TeX is. On the other hand, it is easy (and very productive) to
operate AmS-LaTeX as a page description language.
Who is the proprietor of your proprietary format? You?

Yes.

Yours,
Ilya