    --
    Kind regards,
    Jan Danielsson

    Jan Danielsson, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Jan Danielsson kirjoitti:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
    > interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
    > under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
    > bar charts, etc.
    >
    > I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
    > looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
    > error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
    > idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?
    >
    > Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

    I've used PyChart:

    http://home.gna.org/pychart/

    in my Blood Pressure Monitor application:

    http://personal.inet.fi/cool/operator/BPMDownload.html

    I found PyChart to be very easy to use and to function as advertised.

    HTH,
    Jussi

    Jussi Salmela, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Jan Danielsson wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
    > interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
    > under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
    > bar charts, etc.
    >
    > I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
    > looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
    > error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
    > idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?
    >
    > Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

    We've had good success with matplotlib.

    Joshua Kugler
    Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
    http://www.eeinternet.com
    PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE

    Joshua J. Kugler, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Jan Danielsson

    Guest

    On Feb 7, 4:46 am, "Joshua J. Kugler" <> wrote:
    > Jan Danielsson wrote:
    > > Hello all,

    > > I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
    > > interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
    > > under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
    > > bar charts, etc.

    > > I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
    > > looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
    > > error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
    > > idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?

    Hi!

    Matplotlib saves some stuff into a configuration dir. Take a look at
    the __init__.py file in site-packages/matplotlib (or where your
    installation lives). There are several environment variabels checked
    where a .matplotlib folder will be created. Try unsetting HOME, than
    probably TMP will be used and this should be writable in any case. I
    don't know whether the creation of the configuration folder can be
    turned off.

    Hope that helps! Bernhard

    , Feb 7, 2007
  5. Jan Danielsson

    Sean Davis Guest

    On Feb 6, 7:57 am, Jan Danielsson <> wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
    > interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
    > under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
    > bar charts, etc.
    >
    > I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
    > looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
    > error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
    > idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?
    >
    > Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?
    >
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Jan Danielsson

    You might want to look at RPy (http://rpy.sourceforge.net), an
    interface to R (statistical programming environment).

    Sean

    Sean Davis, Feb 7, 2007