    http://www.sxc.hu/

    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Travis Newbury

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    [Photos]
    > Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
    > commercial usage.

    "Written permission is needed from the author (author name) before using
    the photo for any commercial work."

    Not exactly what I would call /no restrictions/ :\

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > If anyone is interested. Here is a really great place for stock photos.
    > Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
    > commercial usage. Packaged in a nice searchable database.
    >
    > I forget if you have to join or not, but it is free (for the cost of an
    > email address). I have no affiliation with them (other than they have
    > accepted about 30 of my photos) If you need images for a site, then
    > this is as good a place to look for them as any.

    That's interesting. I could really use a source of this type, but isn't a
    Web developer expected to have original content? I prefer to put borrowed
    images and then acknowledge with a caption and a hyperlink. I am not sure
    about the 'politics' of it all, especially on the Internet. Could someone
    point me to a decent source on related etiquette?

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Dec 14, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > "Written permission is needed from the author (author name) before using
    > the photo for any commercial work."
    > Not exactly what I would call /no restrictions/ :\

    What's the restriction? That you have to ask the author? He/she
    probably does not want their images on a porn site. And most of the
    images don't even require this.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>"Written permission is needed from the author (author name) before using
    >>the photo for any commercial work."
    >>Not exactly what I would call /no restrictions/ :\

    > What's the restriction? That you have to ask the author? He/she
    > probably does not want their images on a porn site. And most of the
    > images don't even require this.

    Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
    a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
    the rules of the site itself.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 14, 2004
  6. In article <cplgfo$1igl$>,
    says...
    > That's interesting. I could really use a source of this type, but isn't a
    > Web developer expected to have original content?

    What do you think the odds are that someone will run into the same photo
    on a different website? Probably somewhere between "slim, and none" I
    would not worry about that.

    > I prefer to put borrowed
    > images and then acknowledge with a caption and a hyperlink. I am not sure
    > about the 'politics' of it all, especially on the Internet. Could someone
    > point me to a decent source on related etiquette?

    At this site, a photo marked unrestricted can be used with no mention of
    the author. If they have any restrictions, then you write to them for
    their permission. They may or may not ask for credits.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
    > a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
    > the rules of the site itself.

    Fine, don't use them, find a different service. Pretty simple eh? Oh,
    and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Oh, and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

    http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=terms

    "2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    photos you downloaded from here. "

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 14, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > > Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
    > > a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
    > > the rules of the site itself.

    Wrong. Here are the rules:

    DOWNLOADING By downloading material from this site you agree with the
    following:

    1.) You may use any of the photos in our system free of charge for any
    commercial or personal design work if you obey the specified
    restrictions concerning each photo you download.

    2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    photos you downloaded from here.

    3.) You are not allowed to use any of the images found herein for the
    purpose of spreading hate or discrimination, or to defame or victimise
    other people, sociteties, cultures.

    4.) You are not allowed to use these images to promote adult oriented
    and dating services. The same goes for drug retailers!

    5.) Although these images are made available free of charge or
    obligation, if you use any images here PLEASE remember to contact the
    artist using the e-mail address found on the artists page. This is a
    simple courtesy and means a lot to many of our contributors who simply
    would like to know how their work is used.

    6.) Many extremely talented photographers have given their time and
    effort to produce the images that you see here. Please take the time to
    comment on the images you see and encourage our contributors to do even
    more great work.

    7.) The owners of Stock.XCHNG cannot be held responsible for any
    copyright violations, and cannot guarantee the legality of the photos
    stored in its system. You have to contact the authors to make sure. You
    use the site and the photos at your own risk!

    If those restrictions are too much for anyone,then don't use this free
    service. But if you have a need for some quality indexed photos, with
    what I consider "no restrictions" then use the site. But, if you are too
    fucking anal to deal with rules that are little more than common
    courtesy, then go somewhere else. Wait, first bite me, then go
    somewhere else.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Travis Newbury

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Leif K-Brooks <> said:

    > "2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    > whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    > website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    > redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    > photos you downloaded from here. "

    Which means you can't sell or redistribute the photos without
    permission, not that you can't use them on your own site.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 14, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > > Oh, and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

    > http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=terms
    >
    > "2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    > whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    > website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    > redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    > photos you downloaded from here. "

    You can not sell the photos. You can not redistribute the photos. Duh.
    "Using the photos in website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't
    count as selling or redistribution"

    You are either just trying to start an argument, trolling or really
    stupid. Which is it? And that is a rhetorical question.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Wrong. Here are the rules:
    >
    > DOWNLOADING By downloading material from this site you agree with the
    > following:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > 2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    > whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    > website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    > redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    > photos you downloaded from here.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > If those restrictions are too much for anyone,then don't use this free
    > service. But if you have a need for some quality indexed photos, with
    > what I consider "no restrictions" then use the site. But, if you are too
    > fucking anal to deal with rules that are little more than common
    > courtesy, then go somewhere else. Wait, first bite me, then go
    > somewhere else.

    All I've done here is point out the fact that these images can't be sold
    -- and therefor can't be mixed with copyleft sites such as Wikipedia --
    which is something that some people might need to know so that they can,
    as you said, not use this free service. But for some reason, you feel
    the need to resort to resort to personal attacks. Welcome to the killfile!

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > In article <cplgfo$1igl$>,
    > says...
    >> That's interesting. I could really use a source of this type, but isn't a
    >> Web developer expected to have original content?

    > What do you think the odds are that someone will run into the same photo
    > on a different website? Probably somewhere between "slim, and none" I
    > would not worry about that.
    >
    >> I prefer to put borrowed
    >> images and then acknowledge with a caption and a hyperlink. I am not sure
    >> about the 'politics' of it all, especially on the Internet. Could someone
    >> point me to a decent source on related etiquette?

    > At this site, a photo marked unrestricted can be used with no mention of
    > the author. If they have any restrictions, then you write to them for
    > their permission. They may or may not ask for credits.

    Wonderful. I have just bookmarked the page. Thanks for the link.

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Travis Newbury

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
    >>a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
    >>the rules of the site itself.

    > Fine, don't use them, find a different service. Pretty simple eh? Oh,
    > and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

    You still lied tho :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Travis Newbury

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>
    >>>Oh, and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

    >>http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=terms
    >>
    >>"2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
    >>whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
    >>website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
    >>redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
    >>photos you downloaded from here. "

    > You can not sell the photos. You can not redistribute the photos. Duh.
    > "Using the photos in website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't
    > count as selling or redistribution"
    >
    > You are either just trying to start an argument, trolling or really
    > stupid. Which is it? And that is a rhetorical question.

    So that's two more restrictions. We're now up to 3 of these "no
    restrictions". Dont you love spammers who're stupid? :D

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > If anyone is interested. Here is a really great place for stock photos.
    > Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
    > commercial usage. Packaged in a nice searchable database.
    >
    > I forget if you have to join or not, but it is free (for the cost of an
    > email address). I have no affiliation with them (other than they have
    > accepted about 30 of my photos) If you need images for a site, then
    > this is as good a place to look for them as any.
    >
    > http://www.sxc.hu/

    Thanks Travis, really useful site, have passed it on to a few people.

    --
    Peter
    nativespace - hosting & domain names

    Peter - nativespace hosting, Dec 14, 2004
  17. In article <>,
    says...

    > So that's two more restrictions. We're now up to 3 of these "no
    > restrictions". Dont you love spammers who're stupid? :D

    Explain your definition of spammer? How is this post spam? I have no
    affiliation with this site other than hey host a few of my pictures. I
    was sharing information with the group about a place to get FREE stock
    images.

    A few people appreciated it, and a few people have to shit on everything
    they see. This group never stops amazing me.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 14, 2004
  18. Travis Newbury