Great place for grahics

Travis Newbury

If anyone is interested. Here is a really great place for stock photos.
Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
commercial usage. Packaged in a nice searchable database.

I forget if you have to join or not, but it is free (for the cost of an
email address). I have no affiliation with them (other than they have
accepted about 30 of my photos) If you need images for a site, then
this is as good a place to look for them as any.

http://www.sxc.hu/

Dylan Parry

Travis Newbury wrote:

[Photos]
Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
commercial usage.

"Written permission is needed from the author (author name) before using
the photo for any commercial work."

Not exactly what I would call /no restrictions/ :\

Roy Schestowitz

Travis said:
If anyone is interested. Here is a really great place for stock photos.
Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
commercial usage. Packaged in a nice searchable database.

I forget if you have to join or not, but it is free (for the cost of an
email address). I have no affiliation with them (other than they have
accepted about 30 of my photos) If you need images for a site, then
this is as good a place to look for them as any.

That's interesting. I could really use a source of this type, but isn't a
Web developer expected to have original content? I prefer to put borrowed
images and then acknowledge with a caption and a hyperlink. I am not sure
about the 'politics' of it all, especially on the Internet. Could someone
point me to a decent source on related etiquette?

Travis Newbury

"Written permission is needed from the author (author name) before using
the photo for any commercial work."
Not exactly what I would call /no restrictions/ :\

What's the restriction? That you have to ask the author? He/she
probably does not want their images on a porn site. And most of the
images don't even require this.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis said:
What's the restriction? That you have to ask the author? He/she
probably does not want their images on a porn site. And most of the
images don't even require this.

Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
the rules of the site itself.

Travis Newbury

That's interesting. I could really use a source of this type, but isn't a
Web developer expected to have original content?

What do you think the odds are that someone will run into the same photo
on a different website? Probably somewhere between "slim, and none" I
would not worry about that.
I prefer to put borrowed
images and then acknowledge with a caption and a hyperlink. I am not sure
about the 'politics' of it all, especially on the Internet. Could someone
point me to a decent source on related etiquette?

At this site, a photo marked unrestricted can be used with no mention of
the author. If they have any restrictions, then you write to them for
their permission. They may or may not ask for credits.

Travis Newbury

Um, not being able to put one of the images on a porn site is definitely
a restriction on commercial use. And requiring written permission is in
the rules of the site itself.

Fine, don't use them, find a different service. Pretty simple eh? Oh,
and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis said:
Oh, and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=terms

"2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
photos you downloaded from here. "

Travis Newbury

Wrong. Here are the rules:

DOWNLOADING By downloading material from this site you agree with the
following:

1.) You may use any of the photos in our system free of charge for any
commercial or personal design work if you obey the specified
restrictions concerning each photo you download.

2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
photos you downloaded from here.

3.) You are not allowed to use any of the images found herein for the
purpose of spreading hate or discrimination, or to defame or victimise
other people, sociteties, cultures.

4.) You are not allowed to use these images to promote adult oriented
and dating services. The same goes for drug retailers!

5.) Although these images are made available free of charge or
obligation, if you use any images here PLEASE remember to contact the
artist using the e-mail address found on the artists page. This is a
simple courtesy and means a lot to many of our contributors who simply
would like to know how their work is used.

6.) Many extremely talented photographers have given their time and
effort to produce the images that you see here. Please take the time to
comment on the images you see and encourage our contributors to do even
more great work.

7.) The owners of Stock.XCHNG cannot be held responsible for any
copyright violations, and cannot guarantee the legality of the photos
stored in its system. You have to contact the authors to make sure. You
use the site and the photos at your own risk!

If those restrictions are too much for anyone,then don't use this free
service. But if you have a need for some quality indexed photos, with
what I consider "no restrictions" then use the site. But, if you are too
fucking anal to deal with rules that are little more than common
courtesy, then go somewhere else. Wait, first bite me, then go
somewhere else.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
"2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
photos you downloaded from here. "

Which means you can't sell or redistribute the photos without
permission, not that you can't use them on your own site.

Travis Newbury

http://www.sxc.hu/info.phtml?f=terms

"2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
photos you downloaded from here. "

You can not sell the photos. You can not redistribute the photos. Duh.
"Using the photos in website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't
count as selling or redistribution"

You are either just trying to start an argument, trolling or really
stupid. Which is it? And that is a rhetorical question.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis said:
Wrong. Here are the rules:

DOWNLOADING By downloading material from this site you agree with the
following:

[...]

2.) Selling and redistribution of these photos (individually, or as a
whole) without written permission is prohibited. Using the photos in
website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't count as selling or
redistribution, however you are not allowed to build a gallery using the
photos you downloaded from here.

[...]

If those restrictions are too much for anyone,then don't use this free
service. But if you have a need for some quality indexed photos, with
what I consider "no restrictions" then use the site. But, if you are too
fucking anal to deal with rules that are little more than common
courtesy, then go somewhere else. Wait, first bite me, then go
somewhere else.

All I've done here is point out the fact that these images can't be sold
-- and therefor can't be mixed with copyleft sites such as Wikipedia --
which is something that some people might need to know so that they can,
as you said, not use this free service. But for some reason, you feel
the need to resort to resort to personal attacks. Welcome to the killfile!

Roy Schestowitz

Travis said:
What do you think the odds are that someone will run into the same photo
on a different website? Probably somewhere between "slim, and none" I
would not worry about that.

At this site, a photo marked unrestricted can be used with no mention of
the author. If they have any restrictions, then you write to them for
their permission. They may or may not ask for credits.

Wonderful. I have just bookmarked the page. Thanks for the link.

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
Fine, don't use them, find a different service. Pretty simple eh? Oh,
and requiring permission is NOT in the rules of the site.

You still lied tho :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
You can not sell the photos. You can not redistribute the photos. Duh.
"Using the photos in website templates, on postcards, mugs etc. doesn't
count as selling or redistribution"

You are either just trying to start an argument, trolling or really
stupid. Which is it? And that is a rhetorical question.

So that's two more restrictions. We're now up to 3 of these "no
restrictions". Dont you love spammers who're stupid? :D

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Peter - nativespace hosting

Travis said:
If anyone is interested. Here is a really great place for stock photos.
Over 100,000 of them, all completely free, and no restrictions on
commercial usage. Packaged in a nice searchable database.

I forget if you have to join or not, but it is free (for the cost of an
email address). I have no affiliation with them (other than they have
accepted about 30 of my photos) If you need images for a site, then
this is as good a place to look for them as any.

http://www.sxc.hu/

Thanks Travis, really useful site, have passed it on to a few people.

Travis Newbury

So that's two more restrictions. We're now up to 3 of these "no
restrictions". Dont you love spammers who're stupid? :D

Explain your definition of spammer? How is this post spam? I have no
affiliation with this site other than hey host a few of my pictures. I
was sharing information with the group about a place to get FREE stock
images.

A few people appreciated it, and a few people have to shit on everything
they see. This group never stops amazing me.