greetings

makaroy

Hello, everybody! I am new to forum/newsgroup, particularly in this
group. I hope I can participate to your discussions. I am interested
in learning the C programming. While it is obvious that it is me who
would benefit much from joining this group, I hope that I could also
share what will I learn in the future. For now, I greet you a pleasant
day..Makaroy

CBFalconer

makaroy said:
Hello, everybody! I am new to forum/newsgroup, particularly in
this group. I hope I can participate to your discussions. I am
interested in learning the C programming. While it is obvious that
it is me who would benefit much from joining this group, I hope
that I could also share what will I learn in the future. For now,
I greet you a pleasant day..Makaroy

To start with, realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
(relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system. Then read the
following links, for generic info:

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html> (C-faq)

Richard Heathfield

CBFalconer said:
To start with, realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
(relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system.

I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

Malcolm McLean

makaroy said:
Hello, everybody! I am new to forum/newsgroup, particularly in this
group. I hope I can participate to your discussions. I am interested
in learning the C programming. While it is obvious that it is me who
would benefit much from joining this group, I hope that I could also
share what will I learn in the future. For now, I greet you a pleasant
day..Makaroy
Hello.
Before posting any questions remember that we have a C faq
http://c-faq.com/
it is also quite good for intermediate type learning. You can't learn C from
scratch from it, but it clears up many popular misconceptions.

osmium

CBFalconer said:
To start with, realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
(relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system. Then read the
following links, for generic info:

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html> (C-faq)
<http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/> (C99 std)
<http://www.dinkumware.com/refxc.html> (C-library}
<http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

I am not willing to even look at, less much read, that impressive reading
list.

If there is some poor soul who does, I wonder, is there is even one of them
that warns him that one of the main goals of many responders is to show
what a witty fellow with a delightful sense of humor the responder is? A
newcomer can *not* distinguish many such attempts from serious answers.
Bottom line: turn your nonsense detector up to maximum sensitivity. And hope
for the best.

My guess, without reading, there is no such warning.

Kenny McCormack

To start with, realize that google is not Usenet, it is just a
(relatively poor) interface to the Usenet system. Then read the
following links, for generic info:

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html> (C-faq)
<http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n869/> (C99 std)
<http://www.dinkumware.com/refxc.html> (C-library}
<http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>

These may be useful in a generic sense, but the links below are required
reading before trying to post in and be accepted in this newsgroup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

gw7rib

I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

Well, I'd like to think that I'm clueful... My post on code
comprehension (try searching for "gw7rib code comprehension" in
comp.programming) seemed to be appreciated by the questioner.

Paul.

Keith Thompson

osmium said:
I am not willing to even look at, less much read, that impressive reading
list.

Willful ignorance?
If there is some poor soul who does, I wonder, is there is even one of them
that warns him that one of the main goals of many responders is to show
what a witty fellow with a delightful sense of humor the responder is? A
newcomer can *not* distinguish many such attempts from serious answers.
Bottom line: turn your nonsense detector up to maximum sensitivity. And hope
for the best.

My guess, without reading, there is no such warning.

You exaggerate.

A more pertinent warning is that one should ignore the trolls. (One
of them with initials KM, has posted in this thread.)

Kenny McCormack

Keith Thompson said:
A more pertinent warning is that one should ignore the trolls. (One
of them with initials KM, has posted in this thread.)

You flatter me. And I appreciate that.

But are you saying that you are worried that the OP might take seriously
the URLs that Chuck facetiously posted? If so, I really think you
should give people more credit.

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
Never notice him. My filter keeps him out.

Yes, but newcomers to the newsgroup won't have killfiled him (yet),
which was the point of my warning. I certainly know that you don't
need be warned about him.

Richard

These may be useful in a generic sense, but the links below are required
reading before trying to post in and be accepted in this newsgroup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

Good links indeed. C.L.C is quite unique in my experience. In no other
NG are there such a group of self important, arrogant know alls trying to
climb to the top of the pecking order and having first "prance" at
students and nOObs who might break one of their pedantic "rules".

I sometimes wonder why half of them are here - they derive more pleasure
from slapping a nOOb and then breaking off into a conceited "LOL"
session than they do in actually helping.

Kenny McCormack

[QUOTE="Richard said:
These may be useful in a generic sense, but the links below are required
reading before trying to post in and be accepted in this newsgroup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

Good links indeed. C.L.C is quite unique in my experience. In no other
NG are there such a group of self important, arrogant know alls trying to
climb to the top of the pecking order and having first "prance" at
students and nOObs who might break one of their pedantic "rules".[/QUOTE]

Agreed about the uniqueness, although I'm sure someone will chirp in
soon and say that, e.g., clc++ is just as pedantic, and/or that there
are other newsgroups that are this archaic. But I've not seen one.
I sometimes wonder why half of them are here - they derive more pleasure
from slapping a nOOb and then breaking off into a conceited "LOL"
session than they do in actually helping.

Gee, ya think?

Or, to put it another way, ... and this surprises you because ... ?

*Of course* it is all about mutual back-slapping among the regs.
How could it possibly be otherwise?

Keith Thompson

Richard said:
(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes: [the usual]
Good links indeed.

Richard, I now consider you to be in the same class of trolls as KM.
I intend to ignore you from now on. (I don't currently use a
killfile; consider this a virtual plonk.) I don't believe I run any
risk of missing an actual meaningful contribution to the newsgroup.

Just one request: would you consider adding something to your name?
Using just "Richard" is ambiguous; there are several regulars in this
group with that name. You needn't use your real last name, an
initial, even a false one, would be fine. Thank you.

Kenny McCormack

Richard said:
(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes: [the usual]
Good links indeed.

Richard, I now consider you to be in the same class of trolls as KM.
I intend to ignore you from now on. (I don't currently use a
killfile; consider this a virtual plonk.) I don't believe I run any
risk of missing an actual meaningful contribution to the newsgroup.

The irony of this post is just beyond belief.
Just one request: would you consider adding something to your name?
Using just "Richard" is ambiguous; there are several regulars in this
group with that name. You needn't use your real last name, an
initial, even a false one, would be fine. Thank you.

Nah, you are the one true Richard; the rest are just dicks.

Richard

Keith Thompson said:
Richard said:
(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes: [the usual]
Good links indeed.

Richard, I now consider you to be in the same class of trolls as KM.

Asking people to grow up and stop polluting a NG with repeated warnings
is not trolling. This NG is the *worst* I have ever seen in 20 years of
technical programming.
I intend to ignore you from now on. (I don't currently use a
killfile; consider this a virtual plonk.) I don't believe I run any
risk of missing an actual meaningful contribution to the newsgroup.

Of course you don't.
Just one request: would you consider adding something to your name?

I did consider it and the answer is no. The other Richard's all post
with their sir name.

If you wish to filter me, do it on my email address.
Using just "Richard" is ambiguous; there are several regulars in this
group with that name. You needn't use your real last name, an
initial, even a false one, would be fine. Thank you.

Only in this NG could someone complaining about a complaint about
excessive bullying and net nannying with advice on how to post to make
their life easier.

Old Wolf

On Jun 11, 5:37 am, Richard T wrote:

(NB. I've added the T for Troll to disambiguate you
from any other Richards). Hope you don't mind.
This NG is the *worst* I have ever seen in 20 years of
technical programming.

Pot calling the kettle black. You are one of the
highest-volume off-topic posters in this group.

Christopher Benson-Manica

Richard Heathfield said:
I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

I don't know if I count as clueful (either I am right a lot more than
I really expect or I've been plonked for some reason, as I get few
occasionally resort to GG due to flakiness of one's usual news server;
the one here has become more finicky of late, regrettably.

borkhuis

I really am getting very close to killfiling articles originating from
Grougle servers. Apart from user15939 or whatever he calls himself, are
there actually *any* clueful people here who post through Grougle?

I don't know if you consider my "clueful", but I am using Google. The
reason for this is that I don't have access to any "normal" servers,
as my company restricts traffic to HTTP and FTP. I guess more people
have this problem, so you might filter out some good posts by
killfiling Google.

Kind regards,
Johan Borkhuis

Richard Heathfield

Old Wolf said:
On Jun 11, 5:37 am, Richard T wrote:

(NB. I've added the T for Troll to disambiguate you
from any other Richards). Hope you don't mind.

More to the point, I hope Richard Tobin doesn't mind.
Pot calling the kettle black. You are one of the
highest-volume off-topic posters in this group.

He is also not averse to making claims without backing them up - two
appear in the above quote, for example. Since we don't know him from
Adam, I don't know why he expects us just to take his word for such
claims.