    respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it. I have
    seen the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...

    Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

    k, Jul 19, 2004

  2. k wrote:

    > A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
    > 'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

    No, it isn't. I haven't heard of any way of doing this (not counting the bug
    in IE which causes it to not work of the cache is full) for any browser,
    let alone a cross browser solution.

    http://dorward.me.uk/www/hide/

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 19, 2004

  3. k

    rf Guest

    k wrote:

    > A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
    > 'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

    Sounds like you need to get a new "teacher" for that class.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 19, 2004
  4. k

    Ivan Marsh Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 04:19:38 -0700, k wrote:

    > A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
    > 'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu. Multiple
    > respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it. I have seen
    > the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...
    >
    > Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

    What's the point? In order for your browser to display the page it has to
    download the page to your hard disk cache. You can view the source with
    any text editor.

    --
    i.m.

    Ivan Marsh, Jul 19, 2004
  5. k

    Mark Preston Guest

    k wrote:

    > A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
    > 'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

    (a). If its a class, you are being asked to think about it. What does it
    mean by "browser"? Does it mean the small-footprint browser I wrote for
    myself for fast-searching across multiple search engines? It is a real
    enough browser - but it has no "view source" option at all.

    So how would you "grey out" what does not exist?

    > Multiple respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it.
    > I have seen the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...

    Challenge them to prove it. Then write your own using something simple
    like the IE control in ActiveX... but don't put a "view source" option
    on your browser either. Then ask them to show you their "method" using
    MSIE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror... then yours.

    > Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

    In case you have missed the point... there is no "standard style" for a
    browser, there are no "standard menu options" and there are no "standard
    control tools" either. It is not even remotely possible simply because
    you have no idea whatsoever what the word "browser" means in this context.

    Mark Preston, Jul 20, 2004