Greying out 'View Source' in Browser Menu?

A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu. Multiple
respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it. I have
seen the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...

Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

David Dorward

k said:
A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

No, it isn't. I haven't heard of any way of doing this (not counting the bug
in IE which causes it to not work of the cache is full) for any browser,
let alone a cross browser solution.

http://dorward.me.uk/www/hide/

rf

k said:
A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

Sounds like you need to get a new "teacher" for that class.

Ivan Marsh

A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu. Multiple
respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it. I have seen
the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...

Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

What's the point? In order for your browser to display the page it has to
download the page to your hard disk cache. You can view the source with
any text editor.

Mark Preston

k said:
A programming the internet class has been asked if it is possible to
'grey out' the View Source option in a browser menu.

(a). If its a class, you are being asked to think about it. What does it
mean by "browser"? Does it mean the small-footprint browser I wrote for
myself for fast-searching across multiple search engines? It is a real
enough browser - but it has no "view source" option at all.

So how would you "grey out" what does not exist?
Multiple respondents think it is possible but not sure how to do it.
I have seen the 'Print' option greyed out at some sites...

Challenge them to prove it. Then write your own using something simple
like the IE control in ActiveX... but don't put a "view source" option
on your browser either. Then ask them to show you their "method" using
MSIE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror... then yours.
Can you provide or recommend a specific way of achieving this?

In case you have missed the point... there is no "standard style" for a
browser, there are no "standard menu options" and there are no "standard
control tools" either. It is not even remotely possible simply because
you have no idea whatsoever what the word "browser" means in this context.