Grid View: How to show a date header?

shapper

Hello,

I have created a GridView on runtime by implementing the ITemplate
class.

This Gridview displays a list of articles. Each article has a Title,
Content and PubDate.

I am trying to create a Date Header like in a blog, i.e., display the
date on top of every daily posts.

For example:

Wednesday, 25 of April of 2007

Article 3 (PubDate: 25.04.2007 # 20:15)

Article 2 (PubDate: 25.04.2007 # 11:30)

Article 1 (PubDate: 25.04.2007 # 08:40)

Wednesday, 24 of April of 2007

Article 2 (PubDate: 24.04.2007 # 21:32)

Article 1 (PubDate: 24.04.2007 # 15:45)

How can I created the date header as I described?

Thanks,

Miguel

I'm not sure the GridView control is the best choice for this kind of
display.
Perhaps another control would be better, such as a Table control or
repeater.

Bruno Piovan

Miguel,
you can use the RowDataBound event, and check if the rowtype is Header, then
set the text you want, like:

If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.Header Then
e.Row.Cells(0).Text = Now.ToString
End If

Bruno

shapper

I'm not sure the GridView control is the best choice for this kind of
display.
Perhaps another control would be better, such as a Table control or
repeater.

Hello Steve,

My main problem is that I would also need to have paging. I think
Asp.Net 2.0 Repeater does not have paging.
Any idea?

And how can I determine if the Date Header should be added or not?

Thanks,
Miguel

shapper

Miguel,
you can use the RowDataBound event, and check if the rowtype is Header, then
set the text you want, like:

If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.Header Then
e.Row.Cells(0).Text = Now.ToString
End If

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Got lost about it. See that in my articles list I will have various
headers. One data header for each date.
Please see the following blog:
http://blogs.publico.pt/artephotographica/

If you scroll down to 12 of April you will see that date header has
more then one post under it.
So each date header is added only when the post is a new article.

Thanks,
Miguel