Gridview bound with Code not allowing paging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jerrygp@gmail.com, Apr 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello:

    my problem resides on the following, off course I do dataBinding to a
    gridview by a class created under Vs2005 c#.

    I do databinding to my gridview smooth and works fine when i call the
    method to databind to my gridview, but when I allowPaging = true by
    code or by designer, and after calling the same method listed right
    below, I get no data.

    please see my code. Any help will be appreciated and shared with
    anyone.

    public Boolean gridViewDataBind(ref System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView
    myGv, string mySqlStr, string[] PkFields )
    {
    Boolean result = false;
    if (mySqlConn.State != ConnectionState.Open)
    getConnected();
    try
    {

    SqlCommand sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(mySqlStr,
    mySqlConn);
    SqlDataReader dr = sqlCommand.ExecuteReader();

    myGv.DataSource = dr;
    myGv.DataKeyNames = PkFields; // PK field
    myGv.DataBind();

    myGv.AllowPaging = true;
    myGv.PageSize = 10;

    dr.Dispose();
    sqlCommand.Dispose();
    result = true;

    }
    catch { result = false; }

    return result;

    }

    , Apr 3, 2007

  2. Ben Rush

    Ben Rush Guest

    Are you sure you're not throwing an exception somehow? It looks to me like
    you're blindly swallowing your exceptions and returning the boolean False;
    apart from being a bad idea to blindly swallow exceptions, that might be
    your problem.

    What happens if you remove the generic catch statement and just let the
    function execute as-is (or place a debug break in your exception handler).

    --
    Ben Rush

    Ben Rush, Apr 3, 2007