gridview: column width, wrap simplification?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Beemer Biker, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. Beemer Biker

    Beemer Biker Guest

    I finally got a bound column in a gridview to be the size I wanted and for
    the text to wrap correctly. This took a while with about 1/2 googling and
    the other 1/2 guesswork. I was wondering if I did this correct or if there
    was a better way (other than makeing a template).

    I created "mytable { table-layout:fixed; }" css class and put it on the
    gridview at its CssClass.

    I set the ItemStyle width to 320px and Wrap to True for the column I wanted
    to be 320px.

    In the callback gridview1_RowCreated I set the cell width to 300px for that
    column.
    This gave an extra 20 pixels in the cell box after the text "wrapped".

    Unless all of the above happened, I could not get it to resize at all.

    It seems to me that all of this could have been avoided if I could bind the
    text into the cell using some type of format string. ie: Where the column
    has HtmlEncode, make it False; and for the DataFormatString, put in
    something like "{0,120:}" where it would write out at most 120 characters
    before wrapping. There probably isnt a format specifier like that.

    I sure did see a lot of people asking how to vary the size of a gridview
    column with many responding "that didnt work" when told to simply use
    "ItemStyle-Width=320px" They were sure right.

    sorry for the rant.

    Anyway, it seem to be a real pain to set column width to arbitrary sizes
    using VS2008 right out of the box.
    Beemer Biker, Jan 26, 2009