Gridview header will not scroll when in div

JCM.NET

I have gridview inside div tag that is set to 700px for width, with overflow
set to scroll.
When i load page the gridview rows-section will be at 700px, but the header
will be a fixed width of like 1000px. I am using the built in paging and
sorting as well, and have several databound fields. I also tried putting
gridview into a panel with a fixed width of 700px, and the header is still a
fixed width (i.e. does not scroll with rows).
very frustrating, can anyone help?
thanks,
Jason