    how to make the grid a lot more attractive?

    Thanks,

    Keith

    Keith G Hicks, Feb 28, 2008

  2. CSS is your best bet on spicing it up and what the AutoFormats use. If you
    want even more spice, you will either have to "subclass" the GridView (make
    your own) and add more umph, or go to a third party control.

    I cannot envision much, in the way of looks, that CSS cannot handle.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Feb 28, 2008

  3. With css could you for example make the headers "glass" or "metalic" and
    include a custom glyph to show sort direction? I konw for that you need
    image files but I am so new to this I don't know where to begin. I'd like to
    try but I need some direction. Does anyone know of any samples I could look
    at in order to get a better understanding of this? My impression so far is
    that even with css, if the control doesn't have a property (such as
    HeaderImageURL) then it cannot be done anyway. I'm sure I'm wrong, but
    that's what my limited knowledge of this tells me. When you say that css is
    what the AutoFormats use, I see that with something like Developer Express'
    grid but when I apply an AutoFormat like "Colorful" to the native grid, I
    don't see any new css files anywhere in my site's files.

    message news:...

    Keith G Hicks, Feb 28, 2008
  4. Many of the things you see in other grids are simply CSS linked to images.
    Quick example:

    <HeaderStyle CssClass="Glass" />

    And here is the style:

    Glass {
    background:url(images/glass.png) repeat;
    }

    I did the CSS on the fly, so I may have an issue with syntax, but it does
    follow the basic idea.

    Play with CSS and get the look you desire, then add that class to your
    header.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Feb 28, 2008
  5. Keith G Hicks

    Kelly Herald Guest

    For the GridView sort image you can use this:

    ASP.NET GridView Sort Indicator Component by Urs Enzler.
    http://www.cscoding.com/article/6/6284.html

    Kelly Herald, Feb 28, 2008
  6. Keith G Hicks

    James Guest

    Hi Keith,
    Here are some examples and some descent websites for help:

    http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/SkinSample.aspx
    http://forums.asp.net/t/1184845.aspx

    James, Mar 3, 2008