gridview not exporting to excel

Tom

I have a gridview on all of my web pages in my web app and they all export
to excel. I have one page where the gridview is binding to a datatable that
i created and only the first column is exporting to excel. How can I get the
entire grid to export to excel?

Brock Allen

I have a gridview on all of my web pages in my web app and they all
export to excel. I have one page where the gridview is binding to a
datatable that i created and only the first column is exporting to
excel. How can I get the entire grid to export to excel?

Provide a hyperlink on your page to a handler (IHttpHandler) that emits "text/csv".
In your handler use Response.Output.WriteLine("1,2,3,4") to generate your
data. Excel will hapily open this data.

Tom

thats what i have on every page that has a grid and every page works except
for this one.
its only exporting the first column.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Tom,

Based on my experience, the problem you met is likely caused by the data
bound to the GridView. I suggest you try saving the exported file as xls or
csv on the client machine and then use notepad or any other text editor to
open it. You can check whether all the data rows and columns(from
server-side datasource) have been persisted in it. If those rows and
columns are missing, it should be caued by some problem with the
server-side gridview databinding and the code logic of flushing the data to
response stream. If the data rows/columns are all persisted in the file,
that means the server-side page/handler has successfully render out the
data, but the cilent-side excel fails to display all the columns when
parsing the file/response stream. How do you think?

BTW, would you provide some detailed code logic on how did you render out
the GridView data as csv format or directly render out the GridView?

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I missed.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Tom,

I'm glad that you've figured out the issue. If you meet any new problem
later, please feel free to post here also.

Have a good day!