GridView PageIndexChanged

Peter

I want to call a JavaScript on PageIndexChanged event, how do I do that?

Thank You

Peter

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Peter,

As for executing some javascript code on pageIndexChanged event, would you
provide some further information about your page scenario or requirement?

So far based on my understanding, here are some possible approaches we can
add client script behavior at Gridview's paging stage:

1. You can use Gridview's PageIndexChaged event and use
"ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript" to emit some clientscript to
client-side for execution(when the page's output is rendering in client
browser).

=======GridView page index changed===========
protected void GridView1_PageIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(),
"page_index_script", "alert('page index changed!');", true);

}
====================

2. If you need to do some pre processing(such as right after the user
change Gridview page), I think you may consider customize the Pager of the
gridview. for example, you can define the pager yourself (such as put two
"Move Next" and "Move Previous" buttons ) and you can add script functions
for the two button's click event(one is to do some tasks you want
client-side, another is postback to change page index).

For custom paging, here is an example:

#GridView Custom Paging
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webforms/GridViewCustomPaging.aspx

If you have any other concerns or any other questions, welcome to post here
for discussion.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Peter

The suggested code 'ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), ' is
not working nothing happens - when I click on #2 page in the GridView
the event fires but alert never appears.

I have JavaScript resizing code, when the window is resized I use JavaScript
to resize the GridView so it is resized with the window. But when a user
clicks on the pager the GridView resizes to its original size which does not
fit into the window. So I want to call the client JavaScript after user
clicks on the pager just like I do when the window is resized.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your prompt reply Peter,

Now I got that you want to do some resizing work on the GridView after page
index changes, then I think the first approach I mentioned earlier (about
emiting script in "PageIndexChanged" event should work.

As you said that the "alert" didn't popup, I think there might be something
else cause this. Is your page a standard ASP.NET page, or have you used any
AJAX feature such as updatepanel? There might be some problem with some
GridView events in updatepanel.

Here is my complete page code for the test(a standard simple aspx page):
======================
<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="id"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
onpageindexchanged="GridView1_PageIndexChanged"
onprerender="GridView1_PreRender" PageSize="2">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="id" HeaderText="id"
ReadOnly="True"
SortExpression="id" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="name" HeaderText="name"
SortExpression="name" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="age" HeaderText="age"
SortExpression="age" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:testdbConnectionString %>"
SelectCommand="SELECT [id], [name], [age] FROM [persons]">
</asp:SqlDataSource>
</form>
============================

========code behind=============
protected void GridView1_PageIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(),
"page_index_script", "alert('page index changed!');", true);
}
=================

Also, you can just define a javascript function statically in the aspx
template and reference it in the "RegisterStartupScript" function's
parameter. If necessary, I can send you the web project contains the page
for testing. Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else
different.

From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: GridView PageIndexChanged
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:13:16 -0500

Peter

Sorry I did not mention it before, yes I am using AJAX update panel.

And that's probably why any "JavaScript" code in the
GridView1_PageIndexChanged event: does not work

I was looking for something like this:
GridView1.Attributes.Add("PageIndexChange", "ResizeGrid();");

but this code does not work either, no errors and nothing happens.

rights.

--------------------
From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:13:16 -0500
The suggested code 'ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), ' is
not working nothing happens - when I click on #2 page in the GridView
the event fires but alert never appears.

I have JavaScript resizing code, when the window is resized I use JavaScript
to resize the GridView so it is resized with the window. But when a user
clicks on the pager the GridView resizes to its original size which does not
fit into the window. So I want to call the client JavaScript after user
clicks on the pager just like I do when the window is resized.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Peter,

For AJAX updatepanel scenario, the Page.ClientScript.XXx method will not
work. You can use the "ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript" method to
register script for running. I've tested it with GridView.PageIndexChanged
event and it works well. here is the modified example page:

#I host the GridView in updatepanel and change to use ScriptManager's
static register scrpit method:

===============aspx =====================
<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server" UpdateMode="Always"
RenderMode="Inline">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" onclick="Button1_Click"
Text="Button" />

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="id"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
onpageindexchanged="GridView1_PageIndexChanged"
onprerender="GridView1_PreRender" PageSize="2">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="id" HeaderText="id"
ReadOnly="True"
SortExpression="id" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="name" HeaderText="name"
SortExpression="name" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="age" HeaderText="age"
SortExpression="age" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

===========code behind===============
protected void GridView1_PageIndexChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
//ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(),
"page_index_script", "alert('page index changed!');", true);

ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(this, this.GetType(),
"ajax_client_script", "alert('page index changed!');", true);

}
======================

From: "Peter" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Peter

The suggested code works (Thank You very much), but I have another problem:

I have the following code which highlites the row when user clicks on a row.
The problem is when I go to another page in the GridView the
GridView1_RowCreated event never fires again so the related JavaScript
functions never execute and the Row highliting never occurs after going to
another GridView page.

protected void GridView1_RowCreated(object sender,
GridViewRowEventArgs e)
e.Row.Attributes.Add("onclick", "onGridViewRowSelected('" +
m_iRowIdx.ToString() + "')");
}
m_iRowIdx++;

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Peter,

I'm glad that the previous suggestion helped you.

As for the new problem you mentioned, I've performed some tests on my side.
It seems the "ItemCreated" event can fire correctly even when used in
updatepanel. Here is the test page and code behind I've used:

====================aspx template===================
<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server" UpdateMode="Always"
RenderMode="Inline">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" onclick="Button1_Click"
Text="Button" />

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="id"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
onpageindexchanged="GridView1_PageIndexChanged"
onprerender="GridView1_PreRender" PageSize="2"
onrowcreated="GridView1_RowCreated">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="id" HeaderText="id"
ReadOnly="True"
SortExpression="id" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="name" HeaderText="name"
SortExpression="name" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="age" HeaderText="age"
SortExpression="age" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

</form>
======================================

===============
protected void GridView1_RowCreated(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e)
e.Row.Attributes.Add("onclick", "alert('row " + e.Row.RowIndex
+ " is clicked');");
}

Label1.Text = "GridView1_RowCreated " +
DateTime.Now.ToLongTimeString();
}

The "rowCreated" event will fire whenever I changed page index, also when I
click on a certain row, the javascript alert dialog box will popup.
therefore, I'm wondering whether there is anything else on the page or in
the updatepanel which may affect the Gridview's behavior.

You can compare the page and code to see whether there is any particular
difference.