GridView paging/sorting - will it work with stored procedures?

Joel Thornton

Can anyone tell me whether the new ASP.NET 2.0 GridView control
supports sorting and paging when the data source is a SQL stored
procedure, e.g. 'GetEmployee'?

If so, does that mean that the control actually retrieves the entire
dataset from the stored procedure, caches it locally and then
pages/sorts from that? Or is there some other clever technique used by
Yukon to handle this?

Also in the case of plain old SELECT statements, is the whole dataset
cached locally, or does ASP.NET actually just get the data it needs
from the database by making new SELECT queries against the database
(dynamically modifying ORDER BY, TOP, etc. clauses)?

Thanks for any info you can provide. GridView's native sorting/paging
sounds nice but I want to make sure I don't run into some performance
nightmares when I try to use its paging/sorting on a million-record
rowset retrieved from a stored procedure.

Joel Thornton