GridView RowCommand event not firing!!

Kevin Attard

I am using a GridView inside a UserControl which has a template column for
deleting the rows. Before databinding the gridview i am attaching the
RowCommand and RowDataBound event.

I am using the RowDataBound event to set the commandargument of the delete
button. The event is being fired and works fine.

When I press the delete button, the RowCommand event is not firing! and
neither is the RowDeleting (the button's commandName is "Delete")
Any idea why?

Guest

The order that event handlers execute can cause this kind of problem. Why are
you setting the command argument of the delete button in the RowDataBound
event, why not just declare it in the markup? Try that and see if the
RowCommand event fires.

Kevin Attard

I've tried it but it still wont fire the event.
Here is the code:

SetLinkedTable(GetSource())
}

private void SetLinkedTable(DataTable source)
{
gvLinkedTable = (GridView)skin.FindControl("gvLinkedTable");
AttachEvents();
gvLinkedTable.DataSource = source;
gvLinkedTable.DataBind();
this.Controls.Add(skin);
}

private void AttachEvents()
{
gvLinkedTable.RowCommand +=new
GridViewCommandEventHandler(gvLinkedTable_RowCommand);
gvLinkedTable.RowDataBound += new
GridViewRowEventHandler(gvLinkedTable_RowDataBound);
}

private void gvLinkedTable_RowCommand(object sender,
GridViewCommandEventArgs e)
{
if (e.CommandName == "Delete")
{
int pk = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument);
DeleteItem(pk);
SetLinkedTable(dt);

Guest

Again i think you are coming up against an order events fire type problem,
you are hooking up your GridView event handlers programatically in the
PageLoad event, how do you know that the PageLoad event fires before the
RowCommand event, if the RowCommand event fires before the PageLoad event
then the event has already happened before you even wire up the event handler.

Again i can't see any good reason for hooking up your event handlers
programatically from your code, the reason you do that usually is if the
control to which you are hooking up the event handlers has also been created
programatically. If you are creating the GridView declaritively in the mark
up then also wire up your event handlers like this.

Riki

Kevin said:
I am using a GridView inside a UserControl which has a template
column for deleting the rows. Before databinding the gridview i am
attaching the RowCommand and RowDataBound event.

I am using the RowDataBound event to set the commandargument of the
delete button. The event is being fired and works fine.

When I press the delete button, the RowCommand event is not firing!
and neither is the RowDeleting (the button's commandName is "Delete")
Any idea why?

Do not databind on postback.
Use a construct like:
If(Not Page.IsPostback) Then
GridView1.DataBind()
End If

If you databind again on postback, the event handling of child buttons is
broken.

Kevin Attard

The reason of wiring the events at runtime is because I am creating a
dynamic form from the database. Controls are created depending on the data
of the database.

Sorry, the code should have been like this: I'm using the constructor not
the pageload event

public myUserControl()
{
SetLinkedTable(GetSource())
}

This constructor is called in the overidden method CreateChildControls() of
another usercontrol
( the form creator usercontrol)

Kevin Attard

I've eliminated the databinding on each postback as you suggested. When the
delete button is pressed, the RowCommand does not fire and when the page
loads, the gridview displays empty rows! So if I don't bind with every
postback, the data is lost. When Ive tried to press the button the second
time, the event is fired! Why is the event not firing on the first load but
only on the second?

Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Anyone find solution to this issue? Also having datagrid binding issue with dynamic controls/rows.

Cheers
John

Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
RowCommand event not firing

Try to assign the Command argument value in the RowCreated event handler instead of the RowDataBound and make sure ViewState is enabled.:loo: