GridView special character problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GaryDean, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    I have a 1.1 utility program that prints any DataGrid in a Crystal Report
    and it works just fine. I'm in the process of final testing of a new 2.0
    version that does the same for GridViews. When testing my new version I
    notice that my reports don't print some types of punctuation correctly.
    Upon examining the actual data in the DataGrid and then the GridView I find
    that the data has been corrupted in the GridView but not the DataGrid.

    Below is a snippet taken from both the GridView and the DataGrid. As you
    can see this punctuation is represented correctly in the datagrid but in the
    gridview it is represented by which I assume is some code
    representing the specific character that the datagrid has no trouble with.
    (sorry it's different data).

    Why is it being represented this way in the GridView? What can I do about
    it?
    Thanks,
    Gary

    This is from a DataGrid:

    This is from a GridView:

    GaryDean, Aug 30, 2007

  2. Hi Gary,

    From your description, you're concerning at some text output of the ASP.NET
    GridView control(compare to the DataGrid) as it doesn't output the expected
    text format, correct?

    Regarding on the two html fragment you posted, I saw that the GridView
    rendered one contains some escaped entities such as "í", are these
    ones what you do not want? Also, would you post the aspx template of the
    GridView and show us how to do the databinding and what's the original text
    in datasource so that we can have a clearer view on this?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 30, 2007

  3. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    ok, I need to work up a better comparison using similar binding. I'll just
    repost next time I get a chance to get back to this issue.
    Thanks

    GaryDean, Aug 31, 2007
  4. Thanks for your reply Gary,

    No problem. Please feel free to post here at your convenience to continue
    on this issue.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: "GaryDean" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: GridView special character problem
    >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:06:56 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    >
    >ok, I need to work up a better comparison using similar binding. I'll

    just
    >repost next time I get a chance to get back to this issue.
    >Thanks
    >
    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Gary,
    >>
    >> From your description, you're concerning at some text output of the
    >> ASP.NET
    >> GridView control(compare to the DataGrid) as it doesn't output the
    >> expected
    >> text format, correct?
    >>
    >> Regarding on the two html fragment you posted, I saw that the GridView
    >> rendered one contains some escaped entities such as "í", are these
    >> ones what you do not want? Also, would you post the aspx template of the
    >> GridView and show us how to do the databinding and what's the original
    >> text
    >> in datasource so that we can have a clearer view on this?
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >> rights.
    >>

    >> --------------------
    >>>From: "GaryDean" <>
    >>>Subject: GridView special character problem

    >>>I have a 1.1 utility program that prints any DataGrid in a Crystal Report
    >>>and it works just fine. I'm in the process of final testing of a new 2.0
    >>>version that does the same for GridViews. When testing my new version I
    >>>notice that my reports don't print some types of punctuation correctly.
    >>>Upon examining the actual data in the DataGrid and then the GridView I

    >> find
    >>>that the data has been corrupted in the GridView but not the DataGrid.
    >>>
    >>>Below is a snippet taken from both the GridView and the DataGrid. As you
    >>>can see this punctuation is represented correctly in the datagrid but in

    >> the
    >>>gridview it is represented by which I assume is some code
    >>>representing the specific character that the datagrid has no trouble

    with.
    >>>(sorry it's different data).
    >>>

    >>>Why is it being represented this way in the GridView? What can I do

    about
    >>>it?
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Gary
    >>>
    >>>This is from a DataGrid:

    align="Right">Berglunds

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 31, 2007
  5. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Steven,
    I posted a new thread on this "GridView DataGrid Difference".
    Gary

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Sep 2, 2007
  6. Thanks Gary,

    I've seen your new thread and will continue to followup you there.

    Have a good day!

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead