GridView Template field to browse explorer/directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Morris Neuman, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    I have a gridview on the contents page of my web form.

    The GridView is bound to a datasource. I would like one of the fields when
    in edit mode to display the contents of the bound field with the ability to
    have a Browse button that the user can navigate, select a different file path
    and name. When the update button clicked, I want the file path and name
    selected to be save to the bound field I don't want the file to be uploaded
    but just the selected file name saved.

    I have tried the FileUpload control with the Enable and Visible properties
    bound to the field. However when I click edit, I get error "Specified cast
    is not valid".

    I tried the HTMLInputFile control, however I don't see how to bind the field.

    Is there another control that I should be using?

    Appreciate any help.
    --
    Thanks
    Morris
    Morris Neuman, Oct 8, 2008

  2. Hi Morris,

    From your description you want to add a browse button in the EditTemplate
    of the GridView, which acts like the <input type="file"/>. In addition, you
    don't want to upload the file, correct?

    If so it's not that easy. To not allow the file upload we have to use
    another form. And to put the <input type="file"/> in the <table> we have to
    put the input on the same form. So obviously it's a contradiction and
    cannot be achieved.

    A workaround I can suggest is to put the <input type="file"/> in another
    form and set the absolute position to attach it on the <table>. Here's a
    working sample (IE only. As far as I know it's impossible to create a cross
    browser workaround. Maybe you can use Silverlight or Flash to achieve your
    requirement.):

    Aspx:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs"

    Inherits="_Default" %>

    <head id="Head1" runat="server">

    <title>Untitled Page</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function AssignValueToInput()
    {
    var id=document.getElementById("Hidden2").value;

    if(id!="")
    {
    var obj=document.getElementById(id);
    if(obj)
    {
    obj.value=document.getElementById("File1").value + "";

    function ShowAndPlaceHtmlInputFile()
    {

    var id=document.getElementById("Hidden1").value;
    if(id!="")
    {

    var obj=document.getElementById(id);
    if(obj){
    var offsettop=getY(obj);
    var offsetleft=getX(obj);
    var div=document.getElementById("mydiv");
    div.style.left=offsetleft;
    div.style.top=offsettop;
    div.style.display="inline";

    function getY( oElement )
    {
    var iReturnValue = 0;
    while( oElement != null ) {
    iReturnValue += oElement.offsetTop;
    oElement = oElement.offsetParent;
    }
    return iReturnValue;
    }
    function getX( oElement )
    {
    var iReturnValue = 0;
    while( oElement != null ) {
    iReturnValue += oElement.offsetLeft;
    oElement = oElement.offsetParent;
    }
    return iReturnValue;
    }

    </script>

    </head>

    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <input id="Hidden1" runat="server" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input id="Hidden2" runat="server" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" DataKeyNames="Test"
    AutoGenerateColumns="false" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1"
    AutoGenerateEditButton="true" >
    <Columns>
    <asp:TemplateField>
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%#Eval("Name") %>' />
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%#Bind("Name") %>'
    style="z-index:2;" ></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" style=" visibility:hidden;" runat="server"
    Text="Browse..." OnLoad="Button1_Load" />
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>
    </Columns>
    </asp:GridView>

    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:AConnectionString %>"
    DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [Table1] WHERE [Test] = @Test"
    InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [Table1] ([Test], [Name]) VALUES (@Test,
    @Name)"
    SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Table1]"
    UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Table1] SET [Name] = @Name WHERE [Test] =
    @Test">
    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    </form>

    <form id="form2" action="Default.aspx" style="z-index:1;">
    <input id="File1"type="file" onchange="AssignValueToInput()"
    style="width:1px" />

    </form>

    Aspx.cs:

    protected void Button1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    Button b = (Button)sender;
    this.Hidden1.Value = b.ClientID;
    TextBox t = (TextBox)b.FindControl("TextBox1");
    this.Hidden2.Value = t.ClientID;

    As far as I can tell, you probably have to change the requirement (at
    least, allow the file upload). Or else please use some RIA techniques such
    as Silverlight or Flash.

    You can get started to learn Silverlight here (Currently Silverlight is
    still in RC0 but it will be released soon):
    http://silverlight.net/

    If you have further questions, just feel free to ask.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 9, 2008

  3. Hi Morris,

    Have you tried my suggestions?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 15, 2008
  4. Hi,

    My colleague tried your suggestion, unfortunately as neither one of us are
    experts, we were not able to make it work.

    As we have a master page and a content page, we were not too sure where to
    place some of your code.

    My colleague will email you as attachments the master page and the test
    content page where we wish to show/use this browse button with additional
    details.

    If you can insert the required code in these pages and email back I could
    test the code here and let you know the results.

    Your help is very much appreciated.
    --
    Thanks
    Morris

    Morris Neuman, Oct 15, 2008
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for the code. I've sent a demo project to your colleague. Please
    have a try and let me know if it works.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | Subject: RE: GridView Template field to browse explorer/directory
    | Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:31:01 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Hi,
    |
    | My colleague tried your suggestion, unfortunately as neither one of us
    are
    | experts, we were not able to make it work.
    |
    | As we have a master page and a content page, we were not too sure where
    | place some of your code.
    |
    | My colleague will email you as attachments the master page and the test
    | content page where we wish to show/use this browse button with additional
    | details.
    |
    | If you can insert the required code in these pages and email back I could
    | test the code here and let you know the results.
    |
    | Your help is very much appreciated.
    | --
    | Thanks
    | Morris
    |

    | "Allen Chen [MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Morris,
    | >
    | > Have you tried my suggestions?
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | > Allen Chen
    | > Microsoft Online Support
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | > | Subject: GridView Template field to browse explorer/directory
    | > | Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:16:10 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I have a gridview on the contents page of my web form.
    | > |
    | > | The GridView is bound to a datasource. I would like one of the
    fields
    | > when
    | > | in edit mode to display the contents of the bound field with the
    ability
    | > | have a Browse button that the user can navigate, select a different
    file
    | > path
    | > | and name. When the update button clicked, I want the file path and
    name
    | > | selected to be save to the bound field I don't want the file to be
    | > uploaded
    | > | but just the selected file name saved.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried the FileUpload control with the Enable and Visible
    | > properties
    | > | bound to the field. However when I click edit, I get error
    "Specified
    | > cast
    | > | is not valid".
    | > |
    | > | I tried the HTMLInputFile control, however I don't see how to bind
    the
    | > field.
    | > |
    | > | Is there another control that I should be using?
    | > |
    | > | Appreciate any help.
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Morris
    | > |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 16, 2008
  6. Hi,

    Do you have any progress on this issue?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------
    | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | Subject: RE: GridView Template field to browse explorer/directory
    | Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:31:01 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    |
    | Hi,
    |
    | My colleague tried your suggestion, unfortunately as neither one of us
    are
    | experts, we were not able to make it work.
    |
    | As we have a master page and a content page, we were not too sure where
    | place some of your code.
    |
    | My colleague will email you as attachments the master page and the test
    | content page where we wish to show/use this browse button with additional
    | details.
    |
    | If you can insert the required code in these pages and email back I could
    | test the code here and let you know the results.
    |
    | Your help is very much appreciated.
    | --
    | Thanks
    | Morris
    |

    | "Allen Chen [MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Morris,
    | >
    | > Have you tried my suggestions?
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | > Allen Chen
    | > Microsoft Online Support
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlzIE5ldW1hbg==?= <>
    | > | Subject: GridView Template field to browse explorer/directory
    | > | Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:16:10 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | > |
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I have a gridview on the contents page of my web form.
    | > |
    | > | The GridView is bound to a datasource. I would like one of the
    fields
    | > when
    | > | in edit mode to display the contents of the bound field with the
    ability
    | > | have a Browse button that the user can navigate, select a different
    file
    | > path
    | > | and name. When the update button clicked, I want the file path and
    name
    | > | selected to be save to the bound field I don't want the file to be
    | > uploaded
    | > | but just the selected file name saved.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried the FileUpload control with the Enable and Visible
    | > properties
    | > | bound to the field. However when I click edit, I get error
    "Specified
    | > cast
    | > | is not valid".
    | > |
    | > | I tried the HTMLInputFile control, however I don't see how to bind
    the
    | > field.
    | > |
    | > | Is there another control that I should be using?
    | > |
    | > | Appreciate any help.
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Morris
    | > |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Oct 23, 2008
  7. Hi,

    Sorry, we have not had a chance to try yet.

    I will let you know if we have any additional questions and thank you for
    your help.
    --
    Thanks
    Morris