gridview xml webservice as datasource

jhooper71

Hello any who has some insight to this.

In .net 1.1 it was recommended to me by a MS ASP instructor to pass
data from a webservice via XML (vs. a Micorosoft data structure (ie.
dataset)). The web application consuming the webservice would then
read the xml and xmlschema into the dataset. This dataset would be the
bound to the "good old" datagrid (sarcasm) at runtime. This would
allow the most interroperability/performance with other platforms.
This works fine and sounds like a good thing, right? I was thinking I
could use the web service to extend the database interface to a Smart
Phone/Treo solution eventually.

Now in 2.0 the gridview likes a defined datasource at design time. I
like the grid view a great deal more b/c of detail view integration,
but the web service xml as a source makes this seemingly much more
difficult.

I would like to create our apps in the most current development
environment but, do I abandon the webservice-->Dataset--> XML
-->Http-->XML --> dataset -->gridview methodology? Is there a better
way? Or do I create an asp.net webapp that is all inclusive of data
connectivity and UI. It seems that's the direction MS has steered me
in 2.0.

btw I've only been working with 2.0 for a few weeks and I don't have
alot invested in the asp.net 1.1 solution.

Tell me what I should do.

Thanks,
Jamie