GridView's Paging feature not working!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hello,

    I have a GridView in my ASP.NET 2.0 application that performs the paging
    feature perfect when I have it bound to a data source.

    But now I have it bound to a dataset and the paging feature will not work.

    When I try to use paging I get this error:

    The GridView 'gvResults' fired event PageIndexChanging which wasn't handled.

    I realize that the PageIndexChanging event was not handled. How do I handle
    this event if I am using a dataset as the data source of the gridview
    control?

    Additionally, I have to use the dataset as the data source because I do alot
    of filtering and other stuff.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Dec 21, 2005

    bhawin13 Guest

    Hello,
    Check out is there function which contains GridView1_PageIndexChanging
    or something like that.

    If such funcation not exist then select your grid in designer go to
    property window click on event button. then double click on
    OnSortCommand value field. It will generate event for you.

    Regarding paging code in that event find article on 4GuysFromRolla.com
    or DataGridGirl.com.

    Correct me if I am wrong.
    bhawin13

    bhawin13, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Hi J,

    When you manually bind DataSet to GridView, we'll need to manually handle
    the paging work (register the PageIndexChanging event handler and bind the
    new page data to Gridview...). In the aspx , we need to specify the
    PageIndexChanging event handler as below:

    <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
    OnPageIndexChanging="GridView1_PageIndexChanging"
    PageSize="5">

    The page's code behind is something like:

    GetDataSource() function is just a test funciton I used to return a
    certain DataSet that contains some data.....
    ======================================

    public partial class GridViews_GridViewManualPaging : System.Web.UI.Page
    if (!IsPostBack)
    {
    GridView1.DataSource = GetDataSource();
    GridView1.DataMember = "items";
    GridView1.DataBind();
    protected void GridView1_PageIndexChanging(object sender,
    GridViewPageEventArgs e)
    {
    Response.Write("<br>NewpageIndex: " + e.NewPageIndex);
    GridView1.PageIndex = e.NewPageIndex;
    GridView1.DataSource = GetDataSource();
    GridView1.DataBind();
    }