Gripe: usability problems with directory listing in .Net 2

Tim_Mac

this could be seen as petty...
but i noticed if you browse a folder on a .net 2 virtual directory, you
get the directory listing. but the font styles are set to 8 point
verdana which is uncomfortably small for some users on some
resolutions. the fact that they hard-coded it in the css styles means
it ignores the browser font-size setting, so it breaks a very important
accessibility guideline.

this is just another reason to use firefox which lets you increase font
sizes for fixed sizes. surely MS would be trying to hang on to their
user population who still uses IE.
i looked in the source of the directory listing, and i see they have
the file and folder info formatted inside <pre> tags, keeping the tabs
aligned nicely. but i took a copy of the source and removed the font
sizes, and the alignment is still fine when you change the browser font
size!

come on MS... why the love affair with "px" and "pt" for font sizes?
i remember gotdotnet.com had fixed sized fonts also. it's a silly
decision in my book, let your users control the font size.

i've just been experimenting with VS2005 and i like the improved
support for xhtml and accessibility, but lots of people actually use
directory listings, so why not make them accessible also?

tim.

tdavisjr

As far as I know, a IIS module is responsible for generating the
directory listings when you select this option in the properties of
your website or virtual directory. I don't see how are you making the
connection with .NET.

So, can you plase clarifying your gripe so maybe we can get to the
bottom of this.

Tim_Mac

oh, i found out it was only when i browsing the site with the visual
studio 2005 development web server. when i run it on the production
IIS 6 server it shows the normal folder listing.

the development web server shows this text at the bottom "Version
Information: ASP.NET Development Server 8.0.0.0" and i mistakently
thought all .net 2 web applications would use it.

i humbly withdraw my gripe...