gserver hogging CPU

Scott Cole

I'm running a server on Mac OS 10.5.7, Ruby 1.8.6, that's almost exactly
the same as the one in Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby book. When I run
the Activity Monitor it shows Ruby is consuming about 98% of one of my
CPUs when there's no client activity (I have only 3 clients, 2 in the
same computer). I need the computer for other important things, so this
concerns me.

What can I do to free up the CPU? I've tried adding a few sleeps, to not
avail. Here's the code:
-------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

# Start this server with
# ruby -w GServerchat.rb <port#>
# or just
# GServerchat.rb <port#> if file is executable
#

require 'gserver'

class ChatServer < GServer # Server class derived from GServer super
class
def initialize(*args)
super(*args)

# Keep a record of the client IDs allocated
# and the lines of chat
@@client_id = 0
@@chat = []
end

def serve(io) # Serve method handles connections
# Increment the client ID so each client gets a unigue ID
@@client_id += 1
my_client_id = @@client_id
my_position = @@chat.size

io.puts("welcome, client #{@@client_id}!")

#leave a 'joined' message on the chat queue
@@chat << [my_client_id, "<joins the chat>"]

loop do
#Every 2 seconds check for data
if IO.select([io], nil, nil, 2)
# If so, retrieve the data and process it...
line = io.gets

# Write the new line to the log file
logfile = File.open('/tmp/chatlog', 'a')
logfile.puts line
logfile.close

# If user says quit, disconnect them
if line =~ /quit/
@@chat << [my_client_id, "< leaves the chat>"]
break
end

# Shut down the server if we hear 'shutdown'
self.stop if line =~ /shutdown/

# Add the client's text to the chat array along with client's ID

@@chat << [my_client_id, line]
else
# No data, so print any newlines from the chat stream
@@chat[my_position..(@@chat.size - 1)].each_with_index do |line,
io.puts("#{line[0]} says: #{line[1]}")
end

#Move the position to one past array end
my_position = @@chat.size
end
end

end
end

##server = ChatServer.new(ARGV[0])

portnum = ARGV[0] || 50000
my_ip =
Socket::getaddrinfo(Socket.gethostname,"echo",Socket::AF_INET)[0][3]
server = ChatServer.new(portnum, my_ip, 5, $stdout, true)

server.start # Start the server

loop do
break if server.stopped?
end

Roger Pack

What can I do to free up the CPU? I've tried adding a few sleeps, to not
avail. Here's the code:

perhaps profile it with ruby prof, perhaps try other versions of ruby
(MBARI, etc.)
-=r

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

[...]

This last loop looks suspect. You are basically calling
server.stopped? in a loop as fast as you can. Try sleeping a bit in
that loop:

loop do
sleep 1
break if server.stopped?
end

Cheers-
Ezra Zygmuntowicz
(e-mail address removed)

Justin Collins

Ezra said:
[...]

Indeed.

Much better to do:

server.join

instead of using the loop.

-Justin

Scott Cole

Ezra, thanks. This worked great! My CPU usage is below 1% now, even with
sleep 0.1.