GTK Libraries in WIndows

richardcarranza

I use the GTK libraries in linux. The book I use is "Begining
GTK+/Gnome Programming" by Peter Wright. The book is intended for
linux users. So, I am wondering how I can do the same thing in
windows? I am mostly having trouble compiling in windows since the
compiler says that it cant open the gtk headers: "gtk/gtk.h"

santosh

I use the GTK libraries in linux. The book I use is "Begining
GTK+/Gnome Programming" by Peter Wright. The book is intended for
linux users. So, I am wondering how I can do the same thing in
windows? I am mostly having trouble compiling in windows since the
compiler says that it cant open the gtk headers: "gtk/gtk.h"

This group only discusses ISO C. GTK is a very popular GUI toolkit and
must surely have groups and mailing lists of it's own where this
question will be better answered.

Flash Gordon

I use the GTK libraries in linux. The book I use is "Begining
GTK+/Gnome Programming" by Peter Wright. The book is intended for
linux users. So, I am wondering how I can do the same thing in
windows? I am mostly having trouble compiling in windows since the
compiler says that it cant open the gtk headers: "gtk/gtk.h"

You could try the Windows port of GTK. However, this is off topic here
ince GTK is not part of C. I suggest you try the GTK mailing list and/or
a Windows group.

richardcarranza

I find it hard to believe that GTK is off topic since it is written in
C :O

santosh

I find it hard to believe that GTK is off topic since it is written in
C :O

Literally millions of programs, large and small, targetting dozens of
platforms have used and continue to use C. If this group is opened up
to discussions pertaining to all the platforms, and their specialities,
traffic would increase to such levels that the current "regulars" in
the group, who are contributing a part of their valueble time and
expertise, may find it too chaotic to continue to participate in.

Besides, we do have groups, mailing-lists or forums for *most* of the
current popular C implementations, and programs. One such example would
be GTK. I'm sure they would be having mailing-lists on their website.
There you'll be able to post to an audience who would be knowing much
more about GTK than shooting in the dark here and hoping to catch
someone with the required knowledge to answer your question.

Clever Monkey

I find it hard to believe that GTK is off topic since it is written in
C :O
[Follow-ups set.]

Logical error. Apache (the web server) is written in C, and yet this
would not be a good forum to discuss Apache, or even development on
Apache modules.

This newsgroup is pretty strict about adhering conversations regarding
ISO C. Since any non-standard libraries or APIs are not part of the
standard, they are by definition off-topic.

You have a GTK-on-Windows problem, not a C-the-language problem. You
will likely get more help in the appropriate forums. See a GNU/Gimp
specific newsgroup, or try the web: <http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/>

Malcolm

I find it hard to believe that GTK is off topic since it is written in
C :O
Let's say that someone writes a knitting program in C.
Does that make the knitting vs crotcheting debate, conducted with passion on
tech.fabrics.knitting, topical here?

Al Balmer

I find it hard to believe that GTK is off topic since it is written in
C :O

Can you help me with the video editor I just installed? It's written
in C, and it's telling me it can't find an index on the DVD. What's
wrong?

richardcarranza

By the way, the book I qouted above is about C programs that are used
to form GUI's and use the GTK libraries. It is a very well known book
and it has many many free programs in C that are used with GTK. Maybe
you are not familiar with GTK but that doesnt mean that it is not part
of the C discussion

santosh

By the way, the book I qouted above is about C programs that are used
to form GUI's and use the GTK libraries. It is a very well known book
and it has many many free programs in C that are used with GTK. Maybe
you are not familiar with GTK but that doesnt mean that it is not part
of the C discussion

As an aside, please quote context in your replies. Not all readers of
this group will have access to the previous articles at all times. Read
the following to familiarise yourself with this group and it's
netiquette:

<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
<http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USENET>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette>

Coming to the actual content of your post, my previous reply to you
still stands relevant. While this group may have hundreds of posters it
has only a few dozen "regulars" who make posts to this group
worthwhile. It seems their consensus is that this newsgroup should
continue to be devoted to ISO C, as it seems to be one of the very few
groups, (if not the only one), for this subject.

If posts on every C implementation and program were allowed, the group
would stand the risk of becoming overloaded and might lose it's
"regulars" and hence, some of it's value. See also one of my other
replies to you where I've indicated a link to a page with several
mailing-lists devoted to GTK.

Keith Thompson

Al Balmer said:
Can you help me with the video editor I just installed? It's written
in C, and it's telling me it can't find an index on the DVD. What's
wrong?

There's at least one Ada compiler front-end written in C. Can you
help me figure out why my task rendezvous isn't working?

Flash Gordon

By the way, the book I qouted above is about C programs that are used
to form GUI's and use the GTK libraries. It is a very well known book
and it has many many free programs in C that are used with GTK.

So? Tell me where it is mentioned in the C standard. Or how I can use
those programs on my router. Or in one of the IR cameras I used to deal
with.
> Maybe
you are not familiar with GTK but that doesnt mean that it is not part
of the C discussion

OK, I've got a C application that talks to the UK government gateway
over SOAP but I'm not sure whether I should use one scheme for each of
my companies divisions or one to cover the hole company. What do you
think? It's not topical? But the application is written in C and the
government gateway is a government standard, so surely I should be able
to get help on it here!

BTW, the bulk of the application I just mentioned really is written in C
+ 3rd party libraries which themselves are mostly written in C.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
I use the GTK libraries in linux. The book I use is "Begining
GTK+/Gnome Programming" by Peter Wright. The book is intended for
linux users. So, I am wondering how I can do the same thing in
windows? I am mostly having trouble compiling in windows since the
compiler says that it cant open the gtk headers: "gtk/gtk.h"

Your compiler will have some way of adding into its include search path the
directory that contains your headers. The exact way of doing this depends
on your compiler.

For example, under Visual Studio it's in Tools/Options/Directories (and in
roughly the same place you will find something else you need - a way for
adding the GTK library directory to the linker's library search path).

For other implementations, it will not be precisely the same, but there will
be *some* way to do it. Sometimes it's a command line option, of course,
although I suspect you're probably using an IDE so that may not apply to
you.

You will, I hope, appreciate that we can't provide expertise on every
implementation under the sun. Fortunately, specific newsgroups do cater for
specific compilers, so with the above hint under your belt you should find
your answer easily enough in a group that deals with your particular
compiler.

Best of luck with GTK+ - you'll need it! :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?=

Flash said:
So? Tell me where it is mentioned in the C standard. Or how I can use
those programs on my router. Or in one of the IR cameras I used to deal
with.

I think my operating system is mainly written in C...

So: How do I complete any or all games for my computer? Can we discuss
that then?

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jørgensen

Clever Monkey

Malcolm said:
Let's say that someone writes a knitting program in C.
Does that make the knitting vs crotcheting debate, conducted with passion on
tech.fabrics.knitting, topical here?
Is it as contentious as the Emacs vs. vi debate?